So unfit, where to start?

Options
Trying to start cutting back on my eating habits.
Need to lose about 4kg and would like to lose it swiftly but slowly enough that I don't put it back on.
However, I'm really unfit. Went for a walk in the woods this afternoon and was starting to become out of breath after five minutes.

Help please!

Replies

• ebbingfat
    ebbingfat Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'd say just start out with some light walking, or some swimming if you have access to a pool or beach.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Hey Emmael, we all have to start somewhere! Keep walking and increase your time slightly every week or so, baby steps. In no time you'll be walking longer distances and it'll be easier to breathe. Good luck with your goals!
  • emiliebecause
    emiliebecause Posts: 63 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Congrats on making this change! Just start slowly. Just to share a bit I started jogging in February. I jogged for 30 seconds and then wheezed for TWO HOURS afterwards. I twas terrible and very scary. I felt overwhelmed. What helped me was to just not think about it too much other than to do something to move more every day. I walk more (like walk to the store instead of driving) and just generally move more. I just completed week 5 day 2 of couch to 5k which requires jogging twice for 8 minutes each time---and I felt like I could do more! Amazing.

The key for me has been to take it really slow but steady. It took me 6 months to get through almost 5 weeks of couch to five k. I started counting calories on here 19 days ago and have lost 6lbs since then.

Slow and steady wins the race.

Walking is a great place to start. There are many programs out there to work toward being able to walk 5k. Here's one, for example: http://www.walkjogrun.net/training/5k/training-plan.cfm?planId=5k-beg-walk

When you feel out of breath, SLOW DOWN. I personally think it's important to work on endurance and stamina at the beginning before thinking of things like speed.

Also, you may be interested in beginning some low-impact weight training. There are many videos and tutorials online (youtube etc.) to get some help as a beginner. It's important to start slow and gentle so you prevent injuries and get yourself used to incorporating movement into your daily life.

Good luck on your journey. I wish you every success.
  • ARC1603
    ARC1603 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I've lost a stone so far and the only exercise I've done is walking. I had my second baby 15 weeks ago. When I was pregnant with him I could hardly walk because of hip and back pain. He was born by c-section and my stomach muscles also separated because he was such a large baby and I'm only short. My stomach is still pretty weak and I'm having to gradually work on getting my fitness back. I'm averaging about 3 miles a day currently.

Just start out slowly and gradually build up to longer distances. Where I live is semi rural so there's loads of great places to walk nearby. The scenery makes it easier too!
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    If you only have 8 pounds to lose, and are out of breath after a five minute walk (even terrain? varied? incline?) you may want to consider seeing a doctor.

Other than that, just walk a little each day, and a little longer/farther/faster by degrees.

Edited to add: Your profile says you want to lose 49 pounds (and actual math says 4kg is closer to 9 pounds than 8). How much do you want to lose? If you can reasonably lose 50 pounds, then a 5 minute walk is not unreasonably tiring. The advice is still the same - walk a little bit every day, and every few days increase one or more of the following: the time/distance/speed (pace) of your walk.
  • emiliebecause
    emiliebecause Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Another thought I had was if you smoke--quit! It makes a huge difference for your lungs.