Kellie - utter beginner!

I'm 22 year old female, size 16/18 with a huge chest.
SW - 212 pounds
GW - 150ish
Goal - Curvy 10/12

This is second week and I REALLY need this to stick this time, i'm determined to make it happen. I need all the opinions, advice and tips I can get. ANYTHING AT ALL :)

Plan - Gym for an hour twice weekly. 1x 30 min exercise class a week. Eat 1600 calories. Cut out as much junk without feeling deprived. Keep it simple, as I get easily frustrated and give up easily. Avoid fizzy pop.

Gym - I've only ever been twice as an adult, both times this week. For example, first 10 mins is running, running at 12 speed for 45 secs, walking at 6 for 45 seconds alternately. Then I'll add some rowing/cross trainer. 10 minutes of floorwork (circuit of 10 reps - lunges, sit-ups, Kettlewell lunge, step ups). 5 minutes rowing, 5 minutes on weight machines before cooling down on a bike. I don't really know what I'm doing so i'm just doing stuff that makes me sweat, until I'm tired.

Diet - Not too much obvious junk food. Not huge portions. Take a lunch to work so I'm not tempted by Greggs. Not counting macronutrients, just trying to stay around 1600.

Am I doing anything massively wrong, or missing something obvious? I know it's basic but I'm hoping that'll make it stick this time. I'd rather be consistently okay than have a great week before giving up.

Looking for reassurance that all this effort will be worth it. If you don't think what I'm doing will help me lose weight then please pipe up now!

Novices are annoying, so know that I really appreciate it!

Replies

• clairew931
    clairew931 Posts: 89 Member
    Hey! I think you're off to a great start! Well done! Did you get an induction at the gym...they might be able to help you with a bit of variety and or a program if you want one! Anyway feel free to add me, if you want some support, motivation etc! Good luck! You're doing great!
  • lornacatherine91
    lornacatherine91 Posts: 30 Member
    Hello! I love your enthusiasm. I'm no expert but it sounds to me like you've got something good figured out and the effort will be well worth it! I'm a notice when it comes to exercise so I'm on here looking for mutual support, feel free to add me!
  • Ahhhhhhhhhh, thanks both for getting in touch (& not laughing because I clearly didnt know what a cross-trainer was until this week!) I have an induction session, and 3x personal trainer sessions to use up so I fully intend to do so!

I spent a good few minutes trying to do an arm weights machine today... Before realising I was sitting on it backwards. Beginner isn't even the word. Actively adverse to exercise is probably a better description.

I did a class today after gym, squats with a dumbell weight. First time I'd ever really lifted anything! :D
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,078 Member
    You've made a great start.

If you want to make sense of your workouts at the gym try looking up programs on youtube or bodybuilding.com it will help you figure out how to do exercises properly and how many to do etc.
  • Damien_Scott
    Damien_Scott Posts: 108 Member
    edited August 2015
    The biggest advice I can give to everyone here is to get a digital food scale. That and don't add your exercise calories to your NET calories. At least not if you are trying to lose 50-100+ lbs. Make sure you get around your 90 grams of protein a day. your body burns 700 calories converting it into useful chemicals.

If you feel yourself slipping and you want to stop, cut back on the exercise. Weight loss is 80% diet anyway. Working out is for getting fit and the amount of calories you burn from it is miniscule compared to what your body does normally every day.

You will also gain a couple pounds from starting new workouts due to your muscles retaining water for a few weeks. Keep this in mind.

If you can't stay at a calorie deficit, no amount of exercise will allow you to lose weight.
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Great job getting started. From experience I know how important setting goals and writing SUCCESS next to each of them is as each small goal is reached. Take your desired weight and break it down into small goals so you have something to celebrate along the way! When you're having a difficult week it helps to go back and look at those successes to see how far you've come!
  • Thanks Skinny! I'm hoping to have the motivation to focus on specific things in a few weeks/months time so that'll be really helpful. At the moment, I'm so impressed to have just been in a gym doing anything and have lasted a whole hour.

Damien - Whenever I've attempted to lose weight in the past, I've always concentrated entirely on diet. I've never included exercise before. I was a little disappointed that my calories burnt were only 140 in my first gym session (before thinking I'm still at the gym and not watching TV - win!) but I'm hoping that the exercise will both give me a good comparison when considering treat food and make my weight look better, big or small it may be as opposed to actually helping me lose weight.

Ive gained 3 pounds this week which is odd but I've put it down to fluctuation of starting a new diet, maybe I didn't have the best week before this current week, ect. I really hope that water thing is the case, I don't usually gain even when I'm not doing anything!!! Not worried, sticking it out for 6 weeks regardless, there must be some change by then.
  • Great job getting started. From experience I know how important setting goals and writing SUCCESS next to each of them is as each small goal is reached. Take your desired weight and break it down into small goals so you have something to celebrate along the way! When you're having a difficult week it helps to go back and look at those successes to see how far you've come!

TOTALLY DOING THIS. Great idea, I have an unhealthy obsession with record keeping and lists. Love a good, attainable target!
  • TerryJackson61
    TerryJackson61 Posts: 733 Member
    Good start love the enthusisium.