Thinking of getting a fitbit

I read that the fitbit can sync up to my fitness pal and help you track your goals. Does anyone have one who can give me some feedback on if its worth the investment.

Replies

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    I got my fit bit surge as a gift so no investment cost on my part.

They do seem on the expensive side. But do seem worth it if you use it a lot.

They synch in to mfp and adjust your calories up and down based on activity. So you don't have to log walking, running exercises.

I find they motivate me to be more active, I don't like having the negative adjustment in mfp.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    If you like an app with numbers, graphs, and charts to track progress, it's worth it. Pro tip: the non-HR versions base your calorie burns solely on movement and your bmr. Pro tip 2: the HR versions are a bit more accurate in calorie burns but can be wonky in accurately tracking heart rate during intense activity. If you sweat a lot it will have trouble reading your heart rate.
  • pinetopgirl
    pinetopgirl Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 2015
    I have the charge hr- it actually keeps me more mindful of needing to move more. I track foods in my fitness pal ( bigger database, can use recipes), but track everything else on the fitbit app. So for me, the $ 150 for the heart rate enabled fitbit is worth the investment. I can keep track of heart rate, steps taken, calories burned, etc, just by looking at my wrist, and as I said, when I look and see that I've only taken 1000 steps so far today, it makes me mindful of not moving enough and encourages me to go take a walk. The only issue I have with it is that shopping while pushing a cart keeps your arm from moving, so your steps don't get counted. Make the kids push that cart!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    I would find it hard to track my TDEE without my FitBit. I just have the One. I've stopped logging any exercise and just let it do it's thing. It helps me notice trends with my activity. Motivates me to just be more active in general. For instance yesterday I walked to a mailbox instead of dropping mail off via a drive-up mailbox on my way to work. And I compete with my real life friends for random trophies that don't matter :)
  • ebbingfat
    ebbingfat Posts: 117 Member
    I just bought the Fitbit Charge HR yesterday, and so far I am absolutely LOVING it. It tracks my steps a lot more accurately than my cellphone does (since I don't always carry my cellphone on me), and it makes logging my exercise on MFP a lot easier since it does it for me automatically. Plus it makes graphs of my workouts, so I can look back and see where my heart rate was throughout it, and how many calories I was burning.

Honestly, I was really nervous about the purchase going into it. I was worried that it wouldn't end up being worth the money. I'm one day in and I can already say that it was definitely worth the money. I'm THRILLED with my purchase.
  • rekite2000
    rekite2000 Posts: 218 Member
    I love my flex (minus that it is kind of ugly). I walk long distances (up to 20 miles on some days). I love tracking my TDEE on it as well as a nice reminder to walk more at work. When I get in the weight loss mode, it helps me. Have had it a couple of years (first a One and now Flex).
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Investing in a fitbit is the best thing I have done since starting this weight loss thing.

It has motivated me greatly. When I first got it in March I was averaging 2000-2500 steps a day. Now I walk 20,000 + everyday.

It takes the guess work out of figuring out your TDEE and when synced with mfp it automatically adjusts your calories depending on how much you've exercised.

Fitbit alongside mfp just makes my life easier.