Evening Snacking Problems

Options
hey all,

I just came back from traveling two weeks ago and live at my parents house for the time being. I find that during the work day and morning, I'm great at eating healthy. I pack a salad or healthy meal for lunch, veggies and fruits for snack, only drink water and tea, etc. if the day ended at 5:00, I would be great at being healthy and gradually losing weight. The problem is, as soon as I get to my parents house until the moment I sleep, I feel a constant need to snack - the food is plentifully available in the pantry and fridge and I can't help but keep going back. I know this "snacking addiction" is all in my head and I just need to restrain myself, but I've been failing so badly. I've even managed to gain weight in the past 2 weeks that I've been here. Do you have any tips or tidbits that might help me hold back from snacking? Please help me :( or, on a side note, any tips on how to get motivated to run!

Replies

• jasonparks269
    jasonparks269 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same issue , although a lot of my snacking is at 1 or 2 am "midnight snacks" , any healthy snacks to curb an appetite would be helpful !
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    its all about how much calories you eat

I lost 103 pounds in 9 months while i eat the majority of my calories as evening snacking!

i just consume less than i burn. And pre-plan my food during the day.
    In the evening i have lots left for popcorn and fruits and other good stuff like ice cream

didn't bother my weight loss at all
  • MagnoliaStorm
    MagnoliaStorm Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be 'go to bed early' so that you don't have to snack
  • rkcampbell
    rkcampbell Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Personally I plan ahead for at least 300 calories for evening snacking. This is when I'm hungry so this is when I eat. And I make sure I choose snacks that will leave me feeling satisfied.
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Snack at night if you have to but eat less during the day. I can easily consume a couple hundred calories on my refrigerator raids post midnight. I just log them for the next day. Good luck.
  • PeteXU
    PeteXU Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. My go to at night would be a big bowl a cereal or some kind of snack food and I'd be using like 300-500 calories a night. My go to right now are Popsicles. They might not me huge on nutrition (that's an understatement, but one of them is only 30 calories. I eat 1 every hour or two at dinner to curb cravings. It might be childish but they are tasty and have been a good cheap alternative for me.
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Can you get your parents on board with having healthier choices available and not bringing a lot of junk food in the house? My go-to snack in the summer is watermelon...filling, satisfying, sweet & not too calorific. I leave some calories for evening snacks. As for running, maybe change at work & run right after work, or as soon as you get home. Or eat a light dinner & go for an early evening run to occupy your mind instead of snacking. Get a cute running outfit so you feel & look good!
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    That should be easy. Even though you are currently living at your parent's house, treat yourself as a guest there. A guest wouldn't just help themselves. If you didn't buy the snack, don't eat it! After all, it isn't "yours". This mindset has helped me many times. Of course it works better if you have a substitute. Maybe some air popped popcorn without the butter. Then, take the dog for a walk, or if no dog, go out on your own and explore. Bike, walk, run, do additional house or yardwork, anything to spend an hour or two out of the house to shorten temptation time.