Afraid to weigh myself

Options
I haven't been at this long (a week), but I have been tracking food and going to the gym. I feel like there may be a tiny improvement (I want to lose 50 lbs to start, maybe a bit more) BUT, I am afraid to weigh myself, in case there isn't any change. I know exercise can make your body look better without changing the number on the scale, but let's face it, at one point, the scale has to go down too when you've got a bunch to lose!

Maybe I'll wait another week....

Replies

• jcook0716
    jcook0716 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Do whatever makes you feel comfortable ... Some people weigh weekly, monthly, or daily. I weigh daily because it helps me keep myself accountable but i also know there will be days i gain no Matter how much i tried because of water weight, time of month, level of hydration etc.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I hear you, but to be honest the more you do it, the easier and less scary it becomes, I dont know how, but I swear I have like a radar and know the weeks that the scale is going down, the weeks that my scale get so evil, I just mentally prepare for the unexpected but in the back of my mind always knowing that I'm not going to quit/give up.

Do as you wish, but if I was you I would just do it and get over with it, idk either way you go, wish you the best :)

• MagnoliaStorm
    MagnoliaStorm Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Come on, face the reality! I gained some weight, though I was also scared of weighing myself but once done, you'll have more motivation to go back! I came back to the square 1 or even before but now getting on the track.. Go for it!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    err its 7 days. and your joruney will be much longer.
    Make it clear in your mind what you will do if it stays the same, if it increases or it decreases.

Knowing about fluctuations, not to be misled by a single days reading are importnat.
    The beginning normally includes some trial and error and for most people it will involve a loss of water weight, which is more thna usual.

Once you do it though, then you know where you are and its nothing to panic about, but you will be in a better position to react.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    50andfabu wrote: »
    I haven't been at this long (a week), but I have been tracking food and going to the gym. I feel like there may be a tiny improvement (I want to lose 50 lbs to start, maybe a bit more) BUT, I am afraid to weigh myself, in case there isn't any change. I know exercise can make your body look better without changing the number on the scale, but let's face it, at one point, the scale has to go down too when you've got a bunch to lose!

Maybe I'll wait another week....
    Whether you weigh yourself or not, the reality is your body is going to do what it's going to do even if you feel you've done everything right. Weight loss isn't linear and back to back weeks with the same exact foods and exercise will yield different results.
    Face the fear. Hiding from it doesn't make you a stronger person.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• MCinBC
    MCinBC Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You should not be afraid. It will make you face reality!! On the good or bad side...
    I think you should make it a regular thing, but I suggest you do it first thing in the morning so it is almost under the same conditions. I suggest also to start to take measurements as your body shape will also change. Put all this on a file because a pound or 2 and half inch does not sound big, but once you will look back at those numbers week after week, it will shows the hard work done all step by step.
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I fear it so much too. I'm trying to think "why"? Am I going to hate myself when I see what I think I'll see? When it's above a certain number? What's that about? I know my worth isn't tied up in that number, why am I so afraid I'm going to hate myself when I see that number when I love myself right now? It's messed up. I'm so afraid. Maybe cm/inch measurements are my way to go then? A pair of pants? If we can't get over the scale fear, there are other ways to track changes. But really, I suppose I do need weight if I'm going to calculate a daily calorie goal. I have to de-couple myself from this fear and de-couple my self worth from that tracking number.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    You can do what you like. But
    - Knowledge is power
    - You can't control what you don't measure
  • jsecret
    jsecret Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I mean realistically as long as you are logging everything accurately and going to the gym the weight is going to go down. There is really no need to ever get on a scale unless you want to. The weight will come off as long as you're doing what you are supposed to be doing, if you don't want to weigh in today or this week or hell even this year - then don't.
  • RainDrops930
    RainDrops930 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I waited a month to weigh myself (mostly out of fear, as well). Now I weigh just once a week, and I continue to lose at least a little. If you are eating as you should and finding time for some exercise, the weight will follow. Your body will fall into place as long as you are being healthy & honest. Remember, it's not a rush! Even if progress is slow, it is still progress. Just keep on going!! Results will come.
  • easyabz
    easyabz Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I know its discouraging to see all ur efforts gone to waste but please don't be afraid of any failures. It took me 3 tries before i finally reached my fitness goal and best thing i can tell you is to embrace your failures. Its all a trial and error thing, you'll constantly learn what works best for you through each struggle, but the key is to keep going. Enjoy the journey. Try not to think of it as a goal you reach because when you get there then what? Find a pace and a way that feels comfortable, more often then not this will be a turtle race. For example i run now cause it makes me feel good, so i run to feel good even on stressfull days, i love the calm feeling afterwards. Ive been only weighing myself when i see a scale and the weights dropping without my control. Im also havhing 1 cheat day a week.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    jcook0716 wrote: »
    Do whatever makes you feel comfortable ... Some people weigh weekly, monthly, or daily. I weigh daily because it helps me keep myself accountable but i also know there will be days i gain no Matter how much i tried because of water weight, time of month, level of hydration etc.

I agree! I weigh daily but don't always record my weight daily. I like to see how different things I eat effect my numbers.