Mysterious weight gain...doesn't make ANY sense

Options
thethreeamblog
thethreeamblog Posts: 3 Member
edited August 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all,
Apologize in advance for the length of this post. :)
I'm new to MFP but not new to calorie tracking. I've used LoseIt, a similar app, practically every single day for over 3 years. I'm 35 years old, 5'1" and LoseIt helped me lose and maintain about 15 lbs (I was at my goal weight of 112-113 for several years). I thought I had the weight thing figured out for life! Until now.

This spring I went through some rocky personal times. Through it all, I kept tracking, stayed at or under my daily calories, and remained very active (running, biking and weight lifting regularly). But for no reason at all (wasn't eating more or exercising less), I put on about 5 pounds. I panicked, was able to drop the weight for a bit, then put it back on, then lost it, then put it back on...but maintaining my goal was suddenly MUCH harder than it had been for the past 2.5 years. I know metabolism slows when you get older but this just seemed random, quick, and out of nowhere.

In addition, last month, for the first time in many years, I didn't get my period. Again...baffling. I took a bunch of pregnancy tests (thankfully all negative), went to the doctor, and she reviewed my weight and eating/exercise habits, said everything looked great, gave me another preg test, and said she wasn't concerned and started me on low-estrogen birth control.

I've been on the birth control for about two weeks now (still haven't started my period but we'll see what happens when I get to the placebo). This week, my weight has crept up even more to the point where my pants are cutting off my circulation, thanks to a gain of 6-7 pounds total over my maintenance weight. :( I honestly swear that my eating and exercise habits haven't changed and I just don't know where this came from but I'm literally freaking out.

On top of that, I just feel bloated, very full after I eat, completely devoid of energy, and generally gross. That could be psychosomatic but it's still a horribly uncomfortable feeling.

So...what the heck is going on here? Is it hormones? Water retention? A slowed metabolism due to hitting my mid-30s? Am I just going to keep gaining and gaining forever? Should I go back to the doctor or wait out the first month of birth control? Not sure if others have had issues gaining weight on BC, I haven't been on it in many years. And what should I do in the meantime?

I already eat healthily, lots of protein and fruits/vegetables, healthy carbs, limited alcohol/sweets, etc. As a very active person the thought of dropping my calories below about 1400/day just seems awful.

Replies

• HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Given that you have said you continue to feel bloated, stressed, devoid of energy I would advise that you return to your Doctor and get her to run any relevant tests to address these issues. It may simply be that you are experiencing the 'fallout' so to speak of the stressful life events or it may point to a more particular physical issue that needs addressing.

Whatever the outcome I wish you the best....for the meantime look after yourself. Eat well, try to get adequate sleep and do whatever you can to decrease your overall stress load.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Do you use a food scale?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    No clue. If I had to guess, I'd guess the pills, but no clue. Review the info you got with the pills. If you didn't get any or threw it out, stop by the pharmacy (or check the company's web page for the drug, if it has one) to see if bloating is a typical thing.

If you're still concerned, instead of making an appointment, just call the office. It's likely that they can handle it with a call.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Do you eat back exercise calories?
    Can you make your diary public for more help?
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Whoops I dropped the ball on that basic premise....I assumed that you were weighing all your foods but if this isn't the case then definitely start by doing that so you have do know for sure about your intake.

Still though the fact you have had cessation of your period and the continued ill health and general "Blahness" it really does warrant further scrutiny by your Doc.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Did your doctor check your thyroid?
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I personally would go to the dr to get a physical, blood tests, and heart checked out. Just to rule anything medical out. You could also try a different birth control pill - perhaps another would have fewer side effects.
  • thethreeamblog
    thethreeamblog Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! Yeah, I do it all: weighing, measuring, etc. I do eat back some of my exercise calories but I have to as I exercise for 1-2 hours, 6 days a week (combining cardio and strength).

I will probably call my doc next week. She just seemed so unconcerned with everything because I eat well and my weight is in a healthy range (still). Ugh...
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Pawsforme wrote: »
    Did your doctor check your thyroid?

Exactly what I was thinking as some of your issues sound very familiar.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I would have her check your hormone levels while she's at it.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Weight is not linear. It goes up and down all the time.

You could be gaining water due to hormones as others have suggested, or high sodium days, or heavy exercise (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness).
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    You won't like my answer of early onset menopause, which may not be what it is, but it does sound like my normal onset symptoms. If the birth control pills don't help, ask.your doctor about it.
  • Theoprastus
    Theoprastus Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of the same symptoms as you (i.e. generally feeling off, missed period, unexplained weight gain) and I am an 18 year old who is definitely not pregnant. I asked my doctor about it a few days ago, and she said high stress/anxiety can cause your hormones to go out of control and cause things like missed periods, weight gain, mood swings, so on. I wouldn't recommend going too long without seeing the doctor again, though, if the symptoms continue.