Calorie intake/ workout without using legs

Options
Hi everyone, my name is Katie. I recently broke my ankle and have been confined to my home for nearly 3 weeks. Surgery is scheduled for Monday and I am looking at another 8 weeks of being on crutches. In order not to gain weight, being that my sisters wedding is on haloween, I decided to calorie count. I only started yesterday but both days I didn't meet the minimum calories required for the summary, in fact I'm only hitting between 9 and 950 when I should be consuming 1200. I'm not hungry, I'm satisfied, and I don't want to force myself to eat when I don't want to. I am overweight, which quite frankly in itself doesn't really make sense considering how little I eat. I a 5'5 and about 209, I was hoping to use these few months before the wedding to lose some weight but now that I can't utilize my right ankle, that seems to be impossible. I'm hoping you guys can help me out with any ideas on what I can do to meet the daily calories and to maybe come up with a workout routine that I can do without using my legs.

Thanks in advance guys!

Replies

• piheart
    piheart Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your calorie intake? What kind of tools do you use in the kitchen - measuring spoons, cups, a scale? Have you eaten normally the past couple days?
  • catt952
    catt952 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Okay well you can always get your thyroid tested, that would indicate why you don't lose weight since you say you eat very little. However, just weigh everything you eat for accurate calorie measurement. You don't have to exercise to lose weight its just calorie in calorie out.
  • kburke908
    kburke908 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have a Taylor scale. I do weigh everything. And I had my thyroid tested twice in the past as both over and under run in my famiy, but those tests came back negative. Just can't seem to figure it out. :(
  • kburke908
    Options
    I use the scale for everything and if I can't find the item in a search I use the Barcode to track it. I have eaten normal the past two days. I did a whole new food shopping to make sure there are no junk items in the house. The other thing is I can't exactly get on the scale to weigh myself because I can't put down my right foot...
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Hi Katie..., I had a friend that had a serious foot surgery a couple years ago. He ended up using a kneeling wheeler instead of crutches and found it much easier to get around for the several months he was non weightbearing than the crutches.

Back to losing a few pounds while you are laid up...,,, I lost the first half of my weight without doing any exercise. You can Google seated workouts however to keep plugging along. Other than that it all comes down to what happens in the kitchen. While it is kind of hard to judge any loss when you can't stand on a scale, just keep a close tab on your logging and food intake and keep weighing everything. Good luck with your surgery!
  • kburke908
    Options
    Thank you very much! I am definitely considering the kneeler after my surgery because I can't seem to get the hang of the damn crutches! I will keep weighing and logging and hoping that when I can finally stand on a scale that it will show a loss... a significant one would be nice! ;)
  • acmanna
    acmanna Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    The kneeler makes a lot of sense, I had surgery on my for and couldn't walk for 8 weeks at least.
    I lost weight during this time bc getting to the kitchen took a lot of effort. Focus on healing your body first and exercise later.
    Also it is a good time to really develope good eating habits and learning to weight ABC measure your food if you haven't been doing it.

Find a hobby for when you are unable to move around much, knitting, writing read books.. Something to keep yourself busy and not munching.
    Good luck on your surgery!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    If you go to YouTube and do a search for "broken ankle workout" there are quite a few videos, and also others that will help with its rehab.