Sliming world

Options
Hi I've done my first week of sliming world and lost 3 1/2 pounds so chuffed. I'm doing sliming world with the aid of this app. How's everyone else doing ?

Replies

• ashleypetrie4
    ashleypetrie4 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    What is slimming world? I've never heard of it! Genuinely curious :)
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    What are you using slime for?
  • marieholt1
    marieholt1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK , and it's a healthy eating club. You go each week and get weighed . You follow a very good healthy eating plan , which here in the UK is the one our nhs is all backing. Giving you more chance of keeping the weight off. Hope that helps
  • ashleypetrie4
    ashleypetrie4 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    marieholt1 wrote: »
    I'm in the UK , and it's a healthy eating club. You go each week and get weighed . You follow a very good healthy eating plan , which here in the UK is the one our nhs is all backing. Giving you more chance of keeping the weight off. Hope that helps

Oh cool! That's awesome, good luck on your journey!
  • rachelbouc
    rachelbouc Posts: 65 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Just a question, do you rely on what Slimming World's system of tracking tells you or mfp? I was doing weight watchers for a little and tracking on here now and again. I relied on weight watcher's points even though I could tell I was over my calories. If you find yourself relying on calories more than Slimming World itself don't be afraid of switching over to just calorie counting. Systems like Slimming World are great tools for getting started. I quit Weight Watchers because I began manipulating the system. I don't know exactly how Slimming World works, but hopefully you can't cheat the system like I did.
  • marieholt1
    Options
    rachelbouc wrote: »
    Just a question, do you rely on what Slimming World's system of tracking tells you or mfp? I was doing weight watchers for a little and tracking on here now and again. I relied on weight watcher's points even though I could tell I was over my calories. If you find yourself relying on calories more than Slimming World itself don't be afraid of switching over to just calorie counting. Systems like Slimming World are great tools for getting started. I quit Weight Watchers because I began manipulating the system. I don't know exactly how Slimming World works, but hopefully you cheat the system like I did.

I'm using both at the minute, gives a clear idea of what I'm doing is right, you can see the data in front of you rather than waiting till you go get weighed. So hopefully in time yrs I will just just need this rather than going every wk. Sliming world isn't based on points like weight watchers . You can have everything, you just have syn things that aren't free. Fruits ,veg most meats and fish are all free. So loads to eat. . It's a very good plan.
  • rachelbouc
    rachelbouc Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Just a question, do you rely on what Slimming World's system of tracking tells you or mfp? I was doing weight watchers for a little and tracking on here now and again. I relied on weight watcher's points even though I could tell I was over my calories. If you find yourself relying on calories more than Slimming World itself don't be afraid of switching over to just calorie counting. Systems like Slimming World are great tools for getting started. I quit Weight Watchers because I began manipulating the system. I don't know exactly how Slimming World works, but hopefully you cheat the system like I did.

I'm using both at the minute, gives a clear idea of what I'm doing is right, you can see the data in front of you rather than waiting till you go get weighed. So hopefully in time yrs I will just just need this rather than going every wk. Sliming world isn't based on points like weight watchers . You can have everything, you just have syn things that aren't free. Fruits ,veg most meats and fish are all free. So loads to eat. . It's a very good plan.
    You probably already know, but be warned about the free fruit. On Weight Watchers fruit is free too, so I ended up eating more than I thought I was having and gained weight. But that's where your accountability on mfp comes in. That'll keep you in line. Kudos to you! I like programs like that because it helps you alter your way of eating and makes you aware of portion sizes.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

None of these are free of calories so be careful with overeating.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif
  • mcmorrow33
    mcmorrow33 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I was a member of Slimming World and honestly loved it's approach to 'real' food <3 however I still was eating more calories than i was burning off. That's why I like the tracking on MFP! :) I still try to put in superfoods into all my meals though o:)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif

Just what I was thinking.
  • caaaath
    caaaath Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've tried Slimming World and had great success with it in the past. I don't follow the plan anymore (I'm now just using MFP to track calories) but I use the basis of Slimming World when I cook my food because it's a good system!

Good luck with your losses :)
  • jordan2292x
    jordan2292x Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I thought slimming world was great for a kick start but i got to a point where no matter what i did i couldn't loose anymore which is why iv swapped diets. Id advise you to use this app so you can track your exercise and also get your body fat percentage weighed once a week, this is because I found I would do alot of exercise then gain which on slimming world alone you will feel disappointment. good luck hunny xx
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Slimming World diet

Slimming World’s weight loss plan encourages you to swap high-fat foods for low-fat foods that are naturally filling. You choose your food from a list of low-fat foods they call "Free Foods", such as fruit, vegetables, pasta, potatoes, rice, lean meat, fish and eggs, which you can eat in unlimited amounts. There’s no calorie counting, no foods are banned, and you’re still allowed the occasional treat. You can get support from fellow slimmers at weekly group meetings and follow an exercise plan to become gradually more active. The plan is designed to help you lose about 1lb to 2lb a week.

Pros:
    No foods are banned so meals offer balance and variety and are family-friendly. The portion size from each food group will vary depending on which plan you follow. The "Body Magic" booklet they provide gives ideas to help you raise your activity levels. Meeting as a group can provide valuable support.

Cons:
    Slimming World doesn’t educate you about calories. Without having learned about calories and portion sizes, you may struggle to keep the weight off in the long term when you come off the programme.

BDA verdict:
    The group meetings encourage members to share successes, ideas and recipes with each other, but they may not appeal to everyone. While the meal plans may lack some flexibility, they are generally balanced. However, without learning about calories and portion sizes, you may struggle to make healthy choices once you’ve left the programme.

A good start and if it works for you then keep up with it, but id rather learn about food and how weight loss works myself. Its free.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    great kick start, i lost 2 stone on it.. however ive migrated onto MFP and the TDDE method as its a lot omore flexible of what you can eat - all my meals however remain sw.. i never eat process chips anymore i make my own, i cook everything from scratch now - including things like chicken kiev and lasagne, awesome tools but i stopped losing after a point as free food is most definately not freee
  • sinny28
    sinny28 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I loved Slimming World and lost 1.5 stone from following their plan. Unfortauntely I was made redundant and have put it all back on (and some more) and am struggling in motivation! Good luck with it, it does work!
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I started with it and loved it as a way to change my habits and gain more confidence in cooking, and food choices. I stopped once I amped up my workouts so I could be sure I was eating enough (on sw I found free food very filling so I wasn't eating much and ended up with too large of a deficit). I still make the chips, and a lot of the meals though as they are yummy!
  • marieholt1
    Options
    Well its easy to follow and definitely better than diet I've been on. I track everything on here too so I can keep track. I'm eating more fruit but counting it on here. So I can see if I'm nearing my total calories. It's definitely helping me cook better for me and my family. Hopefully will help them too. So I'm happy so far.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Well its easy to follow and definitely better than diet I've been on. I track everything on here too so I can keep track. I'm eating more fruit but counting it on here. So I can see if I'm nearing my total calories. It's definitely helping me cook better for me and my family. Hopefully will help them too. So I'm happy so far.

If you're tracking the calories here, too, then I think you're good to go!

Many people find using a program like Slimming World/Weight Watchers to be helpful thanks to the accountability factor and the support you can get from people right there. Sounds like that's you, so kudos for finding something that works.

You've got this!

~Lyssa
  • ARC1603
    ARC1603 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I used to go to slimming world many moons ago, in the dark days of red and green days! I liked the plan, especially red days, but hated the meetings and all the happy clapping! It really was just like Peter kay!!