Baby #4 and Exercising

Options
I just found out that we're expecting (a shocker) baby number 4! We're still in shock over the thing, since we figured we were done! haha ;) But, anyway...I've never exercised w/any of my other pregnancies, and I've been doing the 30day shred about 4-5 times a week...my doc said that I can keep doing what I was doing to begin with...so should I keep doing the shred??? Also, does anybody else suggest any activities/exercise that I can do to help me maintain. I lost all but 5lbs of my baby weight from baby number 3...and I really don't want to gain all of that back! I still have more to lose, but obviously I can't lose it now...so can anybody give me some suggestions on what to do? I've changed my goals to maintain, and it says my cal's are 1910 a day..which to me, IS A LOT! I think I'm supposed to add 300 to that since I'm prego??? Any help/suggestions would be great! Thanks! And good luck to ya'll that are losing! Keep up the good work!

Replies

• mbowman323
    mbowman323 Posts: 216
    Options
    Congrats on the surprise baby!! I am also having a little surprise LOL. I would recomend doing yoga, walking and swiming. Very, very good for your baby and you. Yes you are suppose to add an extra 300 calories to your diet now. If your anything like me you like umm I don't want to become HUGE!! Just make sure you listen to your body and don't push yourself to hard. Your doctor will know whats best for you and the baby. Best of luck!!
  • Seesaa
    Seesaa Posts: 451
    Options
    I say you won't be able to do alot of the shred once the belly starts to poke out...but for now you should be fine.
  • Kalee34
    Kalee34 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Understand where you are. I am expecting #5 which was a surprise for us. 1910 might seem like alot right now, but for me it didn't take long to surpass that calorie intake in day. At first if I didn't eat I was sick, now I'm just hungry all the time. Personally I don't know if I would do the 30 day shred being pregnant. Doing standing pilates & walking is what I would do! Good luck with your pregnancy!!
  • kiwi_dee
    kiwi_dee Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm also expecting number 4 and now wasn't exactly the right time! But ah well too late now huh, lol :laugh:

I'm still doing the 30DS, I'm adjusting any moves which I'm unsure about, like those darn oblique twists and some of the ab exercises. As my belly grows, I'll probably modify more of the moves. Other exercises I've heard recommended for preggy women are walking and swimming. I used a calculator on freedieting.com to work out how many calories I need for each trimester and for the first trimester (for me at least) it's a llittle less than maintenance calories. I also eat back (or try to) all my exercise and breastfeeding calories.

All the best for a healthy and happy pregnancy! If you'd like a preggy friend feel free to add me :smile:
  • fittraier
    fittraier Posts: 138
    Options
    First, if you aren't a high risk pregnancy, continue what your are doing. If you are at high risk, ask your dr.. after your first trimester, watch the sit up work...only do core work like planks, not crunches. I ran and taught fitness classes throughout both my pregnancies. wear a HR monitor on harder cardio days, make sure you drink water during exercise--very important during pregnancy! Make sure you don't over heat!

My dr. at the time said not to get your HR over 140--which for me is only walking maybe slow elliptical. And so I started researching it. HE was quoteing guidelines that they changed in 1994. and it was 1999! I wore my HR montier and could be in the 160-165 HR range, and comfotable. I have done tons of research on this topic if you have questions I will happily share.

Keep it up, your delivery and recovery will be faster because of exercise!
    Congrats!
  • McDougal416
    McDougal416 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Everyone! I guess I'll keep doing what I've been doing on the Shred and go from there! Modify stuff and just mainly do planks. :) I'm not high risk...but I'm not wanting to gain the weight that I did the other 3. Which ranged from 40lbs (w/my last) to 60lbs w/my first!!! Hopefully I can keep exercising even when I'm tired! Thats been my prob in the past...been walking or something when I got prego and then didn't keep it up because I would rather sleep than walk! haha ;) Good luck to all of you and your pregnancies! I pray everything goes great and smooth! Thanks for the advice, Ladies!
  • kdhurst09
    kdhurst09 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'll call you with my input.. Too much to type! ha ha!
  • tabbilynn0402
    tabbilynn0402 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was looking up a lot of information on this and most websites (and my pregnancy books that I still have) say that you shouldn't add the extra 300 calories a day until after the 3rd month. It also says that you can do whatever your body is used to up until the same time. Your body can handle any exercise until then without harming the baby. After that you can do anything that your body is used to that doesn't hurt you. If you start to feel any pain or discomfort, you start to adjust and change up then to something easier on your body. You go by your body's signals. Good luck!!!
  • arschweiss
    Options
    Congratulations! The best piece of advise I can give you is to talk to your doctor. Ask him or her your questions and concerns and he or she will give you their professional advise.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I would suggest continuing with what you're doing unless you start to feel dizzy or nauseous. If so, then stop doing 30DS and move onto something easier like walking, yoga, etc. Congrats!!!