Zig Zag / Calorie Cycling BROKE my plateau!!!

Options
Just had a small victory this week! For most of May the scale would NOT budge. I was getting very discouraged. I checked all the threads on Zig Zagging, and decided to try it for two weeks. I went to freedieting.com and set up my numbers, and my week was based on 1586 daily calories. I just added the new daily goals to the notes section of my food diary. Now, mind you this even included Memorial Day weekend, where I let go a little, had some extra drinks and snacks, but didn't beat myself up about it. Kept to my normal exercise routine (3 days of boot camp, 3 days of running), and low and behold I stepped on the scale and lost THREE POUNDS in ONE week!!!! YAHOOOOO! Up until this point I've been at a loss of 1lb per week before the plateau. The whole two week trial isn't even over, but I'm going to re-evaluate the calorie intake, now that I've lost more weight, and do the zig-zag again. People, it works!!!!

Replies

• anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I may need to check this out!
  • myboysmomx2
    myboysmomx2 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Congrats of breaking the plateau!!!
  • roxiedo
    roxiedo Posts: 154
    Options
    Congrats and bump!
  • dlm10
    dlm10 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Great job! I have been thinking of trying this myself. Any particular thread did you find most helpful? Keep up the good work!!
  • Roxey7
    Roxey7 Posts: 10
    Options
    what is zig zagging? sorry - new to this...:smile:
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Love it! Wish MFP supported zig-zag !!
  • mymelody_78
    mymelody_78 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    That's great!!!
  • laceylovespink
    Options
    that is awesome! i've been reading about it but can't figure it out totally...glad it worked for you!!
  • Neize
    Neize Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and thanks for the information!
  • tannaleigh
    tannaleigh Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I do this tooo.. some days more intentionally then others. It think it works wonders for my milk supply since I am nurseing my 4 month old as well. The best part is that when I have a bad day, or give into a craving. I just switch thtat day for a low the next and it all evens out :)
  • jackiemomx2
    jackiemomx2 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I just set up my zig zag profile, thanks for the tip!
  • jude666
    jude666 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot for this. Zig Zagging my calories is something i've been thinking about as sticking to 1200 daily doesn't work for me, i've not lost any weight with it.

I have printed off my weekly targets and will give it a try. Thanks ever so much again :flowerforyou:
  • nuviag
    nuviag Posts: 131 Member
    Options

yes please tell us......
  • tannaleigh
    tannaleigh Posts: 188 Member
    Options

zig zagging your calories is not having the same number of calories every day you have one day of high followed by two of low (but still never under 1200) You end up taking in the same number of calories for the week, but your body doesn't get used to a certain amount.
  • moylie
    moylie Posts: 195
    Options
    Great job! I have been thinking of trying this myself. Any particular thread did you find most helpful? Keep up the good work!!

I looked at AggieCass09's blog, and she posts a spread sheet to explain it. It was a little confusing at first, and I DID eat back my exercise calories, as I always do.
  • Heliconia
    Heliconia Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bjscmg
    bjscmg Posts: 77
    Options
    Awesome!! I also do the zig zag and it worked for me too.
  • moylie
    moylie Posts: 195
    Options

Instead of eating the same number of calories everyday, you take the total for the week, and divide it to create low/med/high calorie days. You get the same number for the week, but the daily difference is supposed to confuse your metabolism into working harder. Plus, I find that the "high" calorie days let me cheat a little, and NOT feel bad about it! Freedieting.com will set it up for you, based on your own stats.
  • Roxey7
    Roxey7 Posts: 10
    Options
    ok - thansk for the info - I have done that - by accident occassionally! and seen a difference - maybe I should check this out!
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    OP, you are right on the money..........finally, finally, Im losing weight after 5 months...........I work out 6 times a week, 1 to 2 hours of both cardio and weight strength training ,and eat about 1500 to 1900 cals a day.........nada............

so, I have now changed my exercise routine, mixing it up, and changing my diet.....eating avacados, salmon in the can, and more fruits.........I know, the sugar, but again, for me, its working.......I eat 3 to 4 servings a day of fruit...

I lost about 6 lbs in the last 10 days, and havent really killed myself in this choice. Like the OP says, it works..........Lloyd
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!