best running GPS watch?

Options
Does anybody have any good recommendation for a GPS running watch? there are so many reviews its getting a bit baffling! I want a watch that will show me my average pace (mph) and current pace if that's possible, as well as distance and time. I am not bothered about heart rate functions. I want one that doesn't keep dropping its connection, takes less than 5 mins to locate satellite, and does not need to be updated/synced every week to the PC. I am not bothered about sharing info, just to see progression in my times/distances. Thanks very much :-)

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I love my garmin fr 225
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I don't use the function much, but I have a Polar M400 (love it) that has GPS and lets you easily customize the main screen you see while exercising, along with up 8 or so additional screens you can add and configure however you want. You can pick how many statistics each screen shows (from 4 small slices down to a single stat that fills the entire screen. If you link it up to a Bluetooth Stride Sensor, you can get information on your stride and cadence too. I never realized how important cadence was to running until I started paying attention to it. As for syncing to a PC, you don't have to do this unless you want to customize things (so figure you do it at least once and when updates are needed). Otherwise you can sync it to your phone or just review everything on the watch.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I've been a fan of the Garmins for years......my current is a 910 but that's only because I wanted the multi-sport functions.

Depending on your budget a good choice may be the 610...a good solid performer with touch screen capability & you should be able to find deals on them as they've been replaced by the 620
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    dc rainmakers web site is your friend here.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I have a Garmin 220 that I bought in March to replace my old 410. It literally takes no time at all to connect (I'd stand around and wait for the 410 to connect). You can customize the screens to show the stats you want while you're running including current pace, current cadence (step count per minute), current heart rate, distance, etc. I know it shows average pace at the end of the run but am not entirely certain it will display it during the run, but I'd be surprised if it doesn't... there are about a hundred different options. It does interval timing (beeps and vibrates when it's time to switch), if that interests you. It actually doesn't sync via the computer unless you plug it in, instead it uses bluetooth to sync with your phone and upload your stats.
  • pearshapedmum
    pearshapedmum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    thanks for the dc rainmakers info - just having a look and its very comprehensive!
  • pearshapedmum
    Options
    am leaning towards garmin FR 220, does anybody here use this?
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    yes, FR 220 with HRM

generally it connects pretty fast, bad days where I lost GPS while running or had to wait a couple of minutes were only a few

decent amount of options, you can watch lap stats or total stats, it has got everything I need for both long and fast runs

garmin connect is pretty decent too

be aware of HRM strap, had to replace mine after 1 year and apparently it's someone common even if you treat it as per instructions

I don't recommend a touch one, it will be hard to control it/change option in my view
  • dinsfamily
    dinsfamily Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I love my garmin fr 225

I've had my Garmin FR210 for 4.5 years and have loved it. BUT...I really wish it would die so I could justify getting the FR225. I'm working the Christmas angle to convince my husband that he would love to have my 210 and that I NEED a new watch (tough sell since he runs 2 weeks out of the year).

I think this is a great option is you don't want to spend the extra money for the FR225. Besides the HRM, the FR225 has all of the activity tracking stuff. The FR220 is the improved version of the FR210 and they added some nice upgrades; foremost for me would be wireless syncing. I still have to hook mine up to my computer to upload.

I would love to invest in a 620 or Fenix (mutli-sport), but just can't justify the cost for function I really won't use. The 220/225s are the best value for me and I've never been wanting with my FR210 as far as function goes (just want that wireless upload).

I also agree that DC Rainmaker is a great tool to use before buying $$ technology. You need to make sure it will be right for your needs.
  • SueInAz
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    I have a Garmin 220 that I bought in March to replace my old 410. It literally takes no time at all to connect (I'd stand around and wait for the 410 to connect). You can customize the screens to show the stats you want while you're running including current pace, current cadence (step count per minute), current heart rate, distance, etc. I know it shows average pace at the end of the run but am not entirely certain it will display it during the run, but I'd be surprised if it doesn't... there are about a hundred different options. It does interval timing (beeps and vibrates when it's time to switch), if that interests you. It actually doesn't sync via the computer unless you plug it in, instead it uses bluetooth to sync with your phone and upload your stats.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

You'll get it for a bargain now the 225 is out
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    A FR220 or FR610 are both good choices and should be cheaper given they are older models.

You might rethink your lack of interest in heart rate monitoring - it can be a useful training tool even for plodders like me. The two screens I use on my watch the most are HR + Pace and HR + Cadence.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Garmin 25, 225, 220, 620 ... TomTom Runner ... Polar M400 ... all do what you want, most with HR as an option. Match to budget.
  • SueInAz
    edited August 2015
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    A FR220 or FR610 are both good choices and should be cheaper given they are older models.

You might rethink your lack of interest in heart rate monitoring - it can be a useful training tool even for plodders like me. The two screens I use on my watch the most are HR + Pace and HR + Cadence.

Especially in the heat I find watching my HR very useful. I know when it gets close to 175 that I need to slow down a bit. The cadence is one of the reasons I chose the FR220. I was very happy to find that I naturally run at about 180 SPM, which is the target, but when I get tired it'll slip a bit and seeing that happen I know to take smaller steps.

Now that I'm looking at the FR225 I want one and I just got the FR220 a few months ago. :'(
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I think the Forerunner 10 by Garmin would provide what you are looking for at an affordable price. I have never used one, but many friends of mine have and it serves them well. I use a Suunto Ambit2 and it is great but much more expensive with many more features than what you are asking for
  • ElPasoMark
    ElPasoMark Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Garmin FR610
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Fellrnr does ultramarathons, and lots of product reviews, because he can...
    http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Best_Running_Watch

He covers price, causal vs marathon vs ultramarathon use, features they have, accuracy, etc.
    He even retest them after they get software updates.

Personally, I just use my phone. 95% of the time it works well, occasionally... Wow, I did a 3.5min mile?
  • pearshapedmum
    Options
    thanks again for all of the replies :-)
  • ChiliPepperLifter
    ChiliPepperLifter Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    garmin vivoactive, mine finds a satellite super fast even around downtown buildings, and is very accurate. and waterproof!
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Morgaath wrote: »
    Fellrnr does ultramarathons, and lots of product reviews, because he can...
    http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Best_Running_Watch

He covers price, causal vs marathon vs ultramarathon use, features they have, accuracy, etc.
    He even retest them after they get software updates.

Personally, I just use my phone. 95% of the time it works well, occasionally... Wow, I did a 3.5min mile?

Fellrnr is an *amazing* site, but his GPS watch reviews come from a *very* narrow and high-end-use standpoint. (His idea of a good running watch for the average weekend warrior: Polar V800 and Garmin Forerunner 920xt. What?)

DC Rainmaker gives, IMHO, better reviews within the target audience of each level of watch.

OP, I use a FR220 as an upgrade from the FR10. The FR220 picks up the GPS connection much more quickly. Additionally, it has an internal accelerometer so it can even start recording your run before it finds the connection, which the FR10 can't. That is its biggest advantage. The 220 can display three data fields per screen. You mentioned four, so you would have to be toggling between two different screens to keep tabs on all of them (which is fine). You'll figure out what is most helpful to you during your run.

It does charge via USB cable, so you'd either be plugging it into your computer or a socket adapter every few runs to recharge it. The Garmin Connect website is a bit buggy but surprisingly useful for seeing progression in distance and pace over the months.

If price is a factor, look into getting a used or refurbished model off eBay for around US$150-160. I got mine for 140 and it's perfect!