Overcoming boredom hunger.

Options
Okay, so I have a problem where I tend to eat whenever I'm bored. Even worse, when I do this, I overeat. A lot. Any tips and tricks to help me eat in moderation.

Replies

• ashleypetrie4
    ashleypetrie4 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I usually have to leave the house and go for a walk or call my mother to talk on the phone for a while when this happens to me.. boredom hunger is the worst haha
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,217 Member
    Options
    Do something.

I can hardly remember the last time I was bored ... some days I wouldn't mind 5 minutes of bored. :smiley:

Exercise ... there are so many sports out there to choose from
    Take up a hobby ... knit, do puzzles, paint, play the piano, take photos
    Take community classes ... there are many community courses offered by your local council or uni. Learn MYOB (bookkeeping program), learn welding, learn to dance
    Get a degree ... that'll keep you occupied!
    Get a part-time job on top of your full-time one. Maybe pick up something where you'll be somewhat active like retail or waitressing or something.

I find when I'm deeply involved in a homework assignment for the current degree I'm working on, I lose track of time and forget all about eating. Same with a brisk walk down to the beach and back.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    If you are bored... do something. Occupy your mind not your mouth.
  • davidjordo
    davidjordo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    What helps me is to drink water and try to find something to occupy my time. You could also space out your meals and try to look forward to more meals per day.
  • 50andfabu
    50andfabu Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Even though I am busy and have lots to do, some things are just boring. You could save some calories for the boredom eating. Or make sure if you do eat it's low calorie. Also, make sure you are eating enough because it's harder to fight off this type of eating if you really are hungry. Keep note cards or post-it notes with the reasons why you want to lose weight. Surf the internet. Watch a movie. Change your location if you eat out of habit. These are just some things that have (sometimes) helped me.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I have a problem where I tend to eat whenever I'm bored. Even worse, when I do this, I overeat. A lot. Any tips and tricks to help me eat in moderation.

I find it hard that an eighteen year old girl could be bored. I certainly wasn't at that age! Do you have no boyfriendss to take you out to dinner, or girlfriends to go hang out with, or even better, making money babysitting? Can you not ride a bicycle around town and relish in the sights? There is so much you could do!
  • becalee26
    becalee26 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I chew sugar free gum. It has helped.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Drink water or a cup of herbal tea. Have a mint or hard candy. Do some yoga.

Snack on jicama, cherry tomatoes or raw carrots.
  • sinny28
    sinny28 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I bored eat at work when I've completed all my tasks. I'm going to try to drink water, but there's only so much you can drink!
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I crochet. It is very incompatible with eating. Get a couple skeins of yarn, and a size g or h hook and start. Youtube can provide instructions. It wasn't long before I realized that I needed an outlet for all my crocheted items so began making hats and scarves for our church to distribute. Soon people were giving me yarn to make more. Not as great as exercising, but gives me a "cause" and a purpose so I don't grab the chips in front of the TV in the evening.
  • _BriannaRose
    _BriannaRose Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much. :) Your tips have actually helped and I am cutting down gradually on overeating
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Do something that will both keep you busy and get in the way of eating. Paint your nails. I sure as hell don't want to get crumbs or smudges on a fresh manicure.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Don't allow yourself to get bored - get your mind and body occupied doing something constructive. Read a book, go for a hike, grab a new hobby, etc.

I used to have this problem, but have the opposite problem now and cannot sit and watch TV - I have to stretch out, do crunches, planks, etc.
  • hybridtheory45
    hybridtheory45 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I find it hard that an eighteen year old girl could be bored. I certainly wasn't at that age! Do you have no boyfriendss to take you out to dinner, or girlfriends to go hang out with, or even better, making money babysitting? Can you not ride a bicycle around town and relish in the sights? There is so much you could do!

I just wanted to touch on this-I had no boyfriend or even friends really when I was 18, and sat around bored a lot of the time. It was a very socially painful year for me, and very dramatic, as the teenager years tend to be. My friends at the time turned their backs on me because I was not "popular enough" and it was really the beginning of my struggle with weight because of the emotional damage done. Not all 18 year olds have boys knocking down their doors and friends lined up to hang out with them. Some, like me, are socially awkward.

OP-I second the suggestion of doing something that will occupy your hands. It helped me a lot. In addition to crochet, can you teach yourself how to sew and make some of your own clothes? Take a floral design class and learn how to arrange flowers? If all else fails, curling up with a good book can make the hours fly by for me.
  • c_leeee
    c_leeee Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I try to always drink water first, a lot of time it seems that what I thought was hunger was really me needing water. But if you're just needing to eat something try and make it vegetables. I often keep cucumber slices, carrots, and sugar snap peas readily available. When I want to snack I also want convenience, having these options helps me make the healthier choice. I try to "stack the deck" in my favor as much as possible. Good luck OP! Keep trying
  • JeffBrown3
    JeffBrown3 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I too drink a lot of water... But I was still hungry. So, I made a huge pot of vegetable beef soup and cabbage soup and froze several quarts of it. When I got bored and wanted to eat, I ate soup. It tastes delicious, but got boring after a few weeks. Needless to say, my boredom eating is almost completely gone. Simply because I only eat soup unless I'm truly hungry and I'm tired of soup. Now I just think naw, I'll pass and wait till my next meal.
  • emmooney235
    emmooney235 Posts: 85 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm a total home body and at the end of my work day I'm peopled out and need the quiet of home. I get the boredom eating, but for me it's mindless eating. If I'm catching up on a TV show, I want something to nibble on. If I'm setting up my grocery rewards card with coupons/deals/shopping list, I want something to nibble on. If I'm cooking, I want to be nibbling. If I'm reading, I HAVE to be eating. I'm an emotional eater, so reading A Song of Ice & Fire (Game of Thrones) does a number on me. I gained at least 10 pounds the first time I read through them, the emotions and the fact that I get so caught up in the stories I don't hear my phone/hubby/TV/radio/etc, I can sit down with a jumbo bag of whatever or a pizza and be shocked when it's all gone. I'm sure you get the picture, I'm not necessarily bored, but I have this mindless need to eat.

I crochet or cross stitch while watching most TV/movies, both crafts/hobbies require clean hands. I have found keeping water next to me helps. Sometimes my apartment looks like the movie Signs, half drunk water bottles EVERYWHERE. :smile: I'll grab a couple Lifesavers or Jolly Ranchers, no more than 1-2 and hour. I'll Google a random thought/question and do some research. One thing I try to do that really bugs my hubby is I'll portion and package any chips/cookies/candies/etc. that get brought home. You're forced to realize how much you're eating for no reason. When nothing seems like it's going to work, I'll start doing housework or I go for a walk. If I'm craving something specific I will make myself walk, it's amazing how much you don't really want that ice cream when there is a couple mile walk round trip.

ETA: plain cauliflower is a great low calorie snack. You can chop one up to bite sized pieces or so, toss with a touch of olive oil and seasoning of choice, and oven roast them for a few minutes. Yummy and filling!