Eating after a workout?

Options
ebbingfat
ebbingfat Posts: 117 Member
edited August 2015 in Food and Nutrition
So, I have this weird problem and was wondering if anyone else deals with it too...

I typically work out in the morning at some point before I eat, and then eat after my workout. However, whenever my workout is really intense by the time I finish the thought of eating something is absolutely nauseating for a while, no matter how hungry I might be. It can sometimes take me up to an hour before I really feel able to eat anything.

It's sort of the same sort of feeling as when you get sick, where everything just sounds gross and eating just sounds like it would be uncomfortable. (Not saying that I feel sick after a workout, per se. Just that it's the same sort of feeling in regards to hunger).

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Whats the problem? If you ont feel like eating for an hour then dont.
  • ebbingfat
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Whats the problem? If you ont feel like eating for an hour then dont.

Mostly because by that point I'm really hungry and want to eat. I just feel queasy.

It's mostly on days where I do weight training that I feel this way. On my cardio days I come home and start shoveling food in my mouth.

• ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I think that's pretty common. I tend to be less hungry for the 30-45 minutes following a workout (particularly intense cardio) but then I'm fine after that. Eat when you feel up to it, there's nothing saying you have to eat something immediately.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Still not understanding how this is a problem.
  • ebbingfat
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    Still not understanding how this is a problem.

Like I said. I'm hungry. I want to eat. However, the thought of eating something right now is nauseating.

I really just wanted to know if it was normal.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    The problem is that she feels nauseous after a work out....

OP, I would say that it's pretty normal to feel that way after a hard workout. I get that way more often when it is intense cardio. I will usually just have a smoothie or something to hold me over till I can eat without wanting to puke.

ETA: Maybe not normal to feel that way, but definitely not abnormal.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    No. Can't say I've felt that way after a workout. I have felt that way during pregnancy and a certain time of the month.
  • ebbingfat
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    The problem is that she feels nauseous after a work out....

OP, I would say that it's pretty normal to feel that way after a hard workout. I get that way more often when it is intense cardio. I will usually just have a smoothie or something to hold me over till I can eat without wanting to puke.

Thank you. :)

A smoothie sounds like a good idea. Or maybe I'll just start having my just protein shake when I feel this way instead of trying to have it with my meal.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    My son has a smoothie after working out. Would something like that work? Or does that even make you nauseous?
  • ebbingfat
    Options
    My son has a smoothie after working out. Would something like that work? Or does that even make you nauseous?

I think a smoothie is something that I could handle.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    ETA: Maybe not normal to feel that way, but definitely not abnormal.

This. It used to happen to me, hasn't been recently, but it's something that happens.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    What about on the days that you weight training (when you know it's an issue), you eat a small meal before working out?
  • adamvikings4life
    adamvikings4life Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Protein shake is probably the best thing to have following a workout...
  • cottagegyrl
    cottagegyrl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Try chocolate milk. It has the right ,pix of carbs and protein to rehydrate muscles. 30 mins later I'm usually cooled down enough to start making dinner or breakfast.
  • ghartleroad1
    ghartleroad1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'd expect a key factor in this is you're working out on an empty stomach. Even if it's just a handful of nuts or some healthy carb (fruit cup), I'd give that a try first.

My nutritionist stated a great post-workout snack, like @cottagegyrl said, it chocolate mile. My new go-to is FairLife Chocolate Milk since it has twice the protein and half the sugar. Good luck.
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Definitely relate! I generally try to eat something before lifting weights or (if I don't have enough time) I try to take some extra time on my cooldown and take a shower first and then go eat something to avoid the 'ugh' feeling. Also, I've noticed that if I drink cold water during my workout on an empty stomach it increases that nauseous feeling, while room temperature water doesn't.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I have it happen. I sometimes sip some milk or chocolate milk.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are just having a normal result following a really hard workout. Are you swallowing air during your workouts? As @Hornsby mentioned, stick to easily digested foods like smoothies, shakes, enriched jello, gels, etc. and eat slowly. A light carbonated beverage like club soda or seltzer may help as well.

I used to get this on intense swims until I learned to breathe.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I wish I had this problem, I am like a food magnet after a workout!
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    When this happens to me, it seems to correlate with me not having drunk enough water before/during exercise. So maybe dehydration is causing you to lose interest in food and feel almost nauseous. A slice of toast or a plain sort of cereal bar might settle your stomach?