Yoga

Options
Hey Friends
Am doing more of yoga than much of physical exercise, anyone else with me here, how has it been working to loose weight and get fit and healthy.

Harshaa

Replies

• Badassshaz
    Badassshaz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Would love to see responses to this, as am considering joining a class. I thought it might help with the mental focus of this journey? Have you found this to be the case?
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I've been doing yoga on my rest days and weight lifting the rest of the time :) There's a definite mental focus element to it, but the biggest motivation for me is how it feels afterwards when the muscles are stretched and loose. It's like you're a little bit taller, a little more graceful, you know?
  • ktface17
    ktface17 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I do yoga and PiYo. When I was just doing it a couple times a week, mixing in Combat workouts and while eating at a deficit, I was averaging about 1.4 lbs down a week. Now I'm doing it almost everyday. My weight is stuck but I'm leaning out. Notice a difference in my back and shoulders. I think it's still doing awesome things for me even while my weight is on hold. It's benefits are beneficial to my general state of happiness as well!
  • lcyama
    lcyama Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I started out doing yoga once every two weeks, for the purpose of stress relief, and weight loss was slow (if at all). But I gained core and muscle strength, self confidence, and an appreciation of the body I was in. Later I started running, which burns more calories, but I never would have had the guts to run around the park in my tubby little body had it not been for yoga. Yoga changed me, mentally and physically.
  • kvansteen
    kvansteen Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I do yoga once a week and LOVE IT! It's a total stress reliever and a workout too. I do "basic yoga" at my yoga studio and I feel it afterwards. My teacher is awesome and gives us lots of options for poses that we can do for strength/flexibility depending on what our personal goal is. I do a lot of strength because I'm already pretty flexible and I feel it for several days after. Can't wait to start getting more toned once I lose more of my extra weight.
  • karenh3585
    karenh3585 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I practice 6x a week (vinyasa & power yoga). I've stayed the same weight-wise but am 2 sizes smaller than I used to be (it's taken about a year to see these results). Way more lean muscle, less arthritis pain and it's kind of cool that I can do inversions now (crow, head stands, wheel, plow, etc) at 53 that I couldn't do at 43 or even 33! It also helps a lot with anxiety / panic attacks that I used to have frequently. I can't imagine my life without it!