Anyone run and lift weights?

Options
Just curious...Any of you run regularly and lift weights regularly? Do you find that one affects the other (good or bad)? I usually run 3 days a week and have been trying to add in more strength training sessions on my off days. I feel like my running has been slowing down or like I am struggling to complete runs...like my muscles are just worn out. Do any of you experience this? Do you think in time I will just get used to it or is muscle fatigue just part of lifting weights?

Replies

• PeterBoon36
    PeterBoon36 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I lift weights and for the cardio racing bycicle.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I do both. Run/walk 4.3 miles three days a week and a body weight routine on the other days, which I count as my weight training. I find both complement each other well, you need strenght to run and endurance to work out. How well/often/hard do you warm-up before any exercise, cool down and stretch afterwards. Proper warm-up, cool down and stretching are very important. Google (or Bing) the terms and you'll get all the info you need on each. A proper rest period is also essential. You may be over exerting.
  • Liftin4food
    Liftin4food Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm a new runner. I've been lifting for a little while (stronglifts). I'm currently trying to train for a 10k race. I've found that I can't do both. My legs just can't take it.

I've (unfortunately) made the decision to stop with the lifting while I finish the 10k training. It's only a month to go - so I don't think it'll do all that much harm. Once I've done that I plan on doing lower intensity runs and picking the heavy stuff back up again.

In the end I had to listen to my body - I was failing on weights I should have been squatting easily and was struggling to complete the runs. Something had to give. Not saying it'll be the same for everyone - and if I could have done both I would have preferred to do that.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I just recently started lifting weights too weeks ago, I was doing cardio before that 5 times a week, my goal is to cut cardio down to 3x and weights to 2x a week. Right now though my body is in agony from DOMs and waking up of new muscles, so it has taken its toll on my cardio. For now I am doing cardio on days when my muscles arent too sore, but eventually once my body adjusts I will get into a better routine
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I do both, but find that significant lower body lifting doesn't work well with significant running, so when I'm serious about 1, I cut way back on the other.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I'm a new runner. I've been lifting for a little while (stronglifts). I'm currently trying to train for a 10k race. I've found that I can't do both. My legs just can't take it.

I've (unfortunately) made the decision to stop with the lifting while I finish the 10k training. It's only a month to go - so I don't think it'll do all that much harm. Once I've done that I plan on doing lower intensity runs and picking the heavy stuff back up again.

In the end I had to listen to my body - I was failing on weights I should have been squatting easily and was struggling to complete the runs. Something had to give. Not saying it'll be the same for everyone - and if I could have done both I would have preferred to do that.
    I had this issue as well. I was 2 months into starting strength last year and needed to start up marathon training. I began struggling with the first run less than 1.5 miles into it. I couldn't take full strides because my thighs felt like lead, I couldn't lift them as high as they needed to go. That continued for about a week or two. I had to completely cut out the strength training to marathon train the way I needed to. I started back up with ICF 5x5 about 2 weeks after the marathon.
  • njfitnessmom
    njfitnessmom Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing both since I just started training for a half marathon that's in October. I have cut back slightly on my weight training so I'm alternating running and strength and I give myself one day rest. I just started training so I may need to adjust that more as I increase my mileage.
  • Christismylife
    Christismylife Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback! Glad to know I'm not the only one who noticed the struggle with running when increasing weight training. I have a 5k in September that I would like to be faster for, but I just feel like it's a struggle to go faster. Maybe I should slow down a little with the weights until that race is over.