Going commando in the gym? Ladies help please!

Options
So I always wear normal briefs in the gym however I am so fed up of the unflattering panty lines these give you! One of the ladies in the gym mentioned going commando.. Have any of you tried this? If not What sort of underwear do you wear? Any suggestions for panty line free knickers!?

Replies

• DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Do you think anyone in the gym really cares about your panty line? Just wear what's comfortable.
  • pearshapedmum
    pearshapedmum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    there was a thread about this a few weeks ago but I cant remember what it was called - might have had 'knickers' I the title - perhaps you could look for it? there is no universal view, some go commando, some thongs, and some wear big sport undies. all personal choice about what is comfortable for you. I prefer thongs. although I have no issue with people seeing my underwear lines, I am worried about getting the '4 butt cheek' look that might come from the elastic on undies cutting in a bit (and yes I do buy the correct size!)
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I wear microfibre, seamless underwear under my tights. I have a few different brands, I hunt for stuff on sale. Bonds, triumph, lululemon, sloggi etc.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    *I* care about having panty lines, and that is enough for me!

My two options are:

1. Loose shorts (I like Nike Tempo and they last *forever*, but there are cheaper options)

2. Compression shorts with the Under Armour Pure Stretch Thong (US link for the picture, sorry). I'm anti-thong in general, but this works for me. It's laser-cut, so no hems or seams => ZERO CHAFING. And the extra fabric in the bottom minimizes camel toe. Panty lines are one thing, but I also prefer not to have my ladybits on display.

The only time I go commando is in bike shorts with a thick chamois padding.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I go commando for every workout. It's so much more comfortable!
  • diyadiamonds
    diyadiamonds Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies such a big help x
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options

OK sorry, but the OP said 'unflattering' which suggests they care what other people think hence my suggestion to ignore them and be comfortable :)

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I workout at home, and I can feel the judgment of my cats about my horrid VPL. The times I go to the gym, as long as it's not terrible, I just don't care, I go for comfort. I often wear thongs when I'm running a race, just so I don't have to worry about riding up issues. I would not want to go commando, personally. There are seamless panties you can buy. My daughter has some she likes to wear for volleyball. I think we have Champion from Target and some Reebok ones for her.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    DR2501 wrote: »

OK sorry, but the OP said 'unflattering' which suggests they care what other people think hence my suggestion to ignore them and be comfortable :)

Yeah, but we want to look good for ourselves, not for other people. o:)
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    This thread is kind of funny...but the struggle is real! I wear lululemons to the gym all the time and they will show a panty line like nobody's business..I wear a thong under them (I usually wear thongs anyway). No panty line, no problem. On the odd times I've been stuck with full bum underwear I usually just wear em anyway...if someone is looking that closely at me behind I'm just going to take it as a compliment. I've tried going commando in my lulus before and I just can't handle it...but my friend does it.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I wear thongs, the same ones I wear the rest of the time, and they're comfortable and stay in place and no lines.

Wear whatever you prefer. Something about going commando while working out kind of skeeves me, but it's personal preference. I don't think there's anything wrong with hating underwear lines. I also think something like a brief would bunch or move around more.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    JenMc14 wrote: »
    I workout at home, and I can feel the judgment of my cats about my horrid VPL. The times I go to the gym, as long as it's not terrible, I just don't care, I go for comfort. I often wear thongs when I'm running a race, just so I don't have to worry about riding up issues. I would not want to go commando, personally. There are seamless panties you can buy. My daughter has some she likes to wear for volleyball. I think we have Champion from Target and some Reebok ones for her.

I like the seamless ones...sometimes I see a line but I don't care. I feel more comfortable with the extra coverage.
  • Mike02209
    Mike02209 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I usually go with slightly looser shorts to avoid panty lines, but certain exercises like squatting and deadlifts its hard to avoid visible panty lines, but at least my shorts aren't see through so that helps.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Victoria's Secret do seamless panties they're cut higher over the buttocks which are great for not showing VPL,or check out some of the thongs.
  • junglejd13
    junglejd13 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I don't like the feeling or look of wearing underwear under my specific brand of workout pants, and the thought of wearing a thong while working out is not my cup of tea. I wear Nordstrom's Zella's Live In pants, and they are thick, compressing, and flattering. You don't have to worry about bending over and people seeing through your pants. I actually see this all the time at the gym, from people wearing pants with underwear. Mostly because people wear pants that are too small, or choose cheap and thin material. I DO NOT want to be that girl.
    I see a lot of good suggestions for workout underoos on this thread, I'll have to check them out as well.
  • hmrambling
    hmrambling Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    1. compression tights
    2. ExOfficio Give-N-Go Boxer Briefs. Why? No panty line. Why else? They wick away moisture from the skin. They are comfortable. Based on Amazon reviews, I am not the only woman wearing them.

Thong, Granny Panties or Commando when working out
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I often wear bikini cut microfibre from Jones NY. Also, I enjoy Warner's - their highwaisted brief helps me keep everything tucked in. I've heard good things about Knix Wear.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Okay. You are in the gym. You are going to be sweating. Your hair is gonna frizz and you are probably going to smell. Why on earth are you worried about panty lines?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    DR2501 wrote: »

it doesn't matter to whom it appears unflattering- she doesn't like it- she doesn't need to deal with it.

And secondly a lump *kitten* is just that- a lumpy looking *kitten*.

If you're cool with it fine- I'm going to go ahead and assume you have no friends- or no full length mirrors in your house. That's not a judgement- merely an observation.

I personally dislike lines- but I typically do commando if I'm just lifting/dancing.

If I'm running- I wear underwear- the gusset seams in my tights bother my undercarriage to much.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I wear whatever because I'm not at the gym worrying if people are staring at my panty line. Most people at the gym are more worried about how they look, than how you look :)
    Somewhere I read thongs at the gym can lead to infection, so there's that.