Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Have you too noticed patterns while on your weight loss journey???

I think part of the lifestyle change and weightless journey is being aware of your body, knowing your triggers, knowing what foods fill you up, discerning when you are really hungry and just wanting to eat & etc. In my time on mfp I've noticed that there are some days when I am much more hungry than others, so listening to my body, I eat and it takes me over my goal into red (no guilt). I'm a protein/meat person (for me that is the most filling) so when that is the case and I go into red, the calories generally come from that. However, the next day I find that I am generally not thathungry. I eat because I know I need to type thing. I was wondering if you've experienced similar or noticed little patterns while on your weight loss journey???

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I go with hunger too. My diet is also meat and fats heavy, so on hungry days I'm eating pepperoni sticks and nuts. I'll have my calories go up to 2000 or so and then the next day it drops (usually) to 1100 or so. I average around 1500 kcal per day.

As long as my extremes are not the norm, it seems to not affect my weight loss at all. Actually, within a few days of eating more I often lose more (a pound or two in a day or 4 in a week) - just a trend I see and not a rule - so I don't mind eating more on some days.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited August 2015
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I go with hunger too. My diet is also meat and fats heavy, so on hungry days I'm eating pepperoni sticks and nuts. I'll have my calories go up to 2000 or so and then the next day it drops (usually) to 1100 or so. I average around 1500 kcal per day.

As long as my extremes are not the norm, it seems to not affect my weight loss at all. Actually, within a few days of eating more I often lose more (a pound or two in a day or 4 in a week) - just a trend I see and not a rule - so I don't mind eating more on some days.

Yes, this is my experience too. Those extra calorie heavy days don't really stunt my weight loss if they are in moderation. If I'm truly hungry I'm going to eat, I just make a conscience effort to still control my portion sizes - even if it pushes me into the red.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2015
    I have noticed that too, alternate hungry and stuffed days. I have recently come off calorie counting (only journaling what, not how much, for reference), and I'm excited to see if I can maintain weight just by eating well (healthy as well as tasty food) and do my best to eat just to satiety, whatever that takes.
  • chocolatemartini77
    chocolatemartini77 Posts: 17 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »

I have noticed too that having those extra calories on those really hungry days helps with lost. I agree about as long as there are not extremes. It seems that some days the body needs more calories and others I might not be hungry at all. I think noticing such trends and keeping a food journal helps to discern what works.
  • chocolatemartini77
    I have noticed that too, alternate hungry and stuffed days. I have recently come off calorie counting (only journaling what, not how much, for reference), and I'm excited to see if I can maintain weight just by eating well (healthy as well as tasty food) and do my best to eat just to satiety, whatever that takes.

That Is awesome I'm not at that point yet of just journaling perhaps when I get closer to goal. One of the great things about this app is the food journal, you can look back and reflect to see what you ate and there is just something about entering your food & looking at your journal that helps with not going completely overboard when eating.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member

That Is awesome I'm not at that point yet of just journaling perhaps when I get closer to goal. One of the great things about this app is the food journal, you can look back and reflect to see what you ate and there is just something about entering your food & looking at your journal that helps with not going completely overboard when eating.

Yes, I regard the calorie counting as a way to keep myself accountable, not just knowing "exactly" how many calories I've eaten. I've actually been in maintenance for ten moths, and stopped calorie counting just two weeks ago. Even though I felt the redundancy of counting for the last few months, I'm really a bit scared now, to regain, but what you said here is calming. This is not like it used to be, me eating mindlessly to every cue; I am watching what I eat now. I will not magically get fat again over night, I will weigh daily and can make adjustments as needed.

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    I too find it is better to eat more when I am hungry and less when I am not hungry. Learned carbs was my trigger food so I major on fats and medium on protein now. I weigh myself each morning and keep those numbers for a month or two. I see cycles but month over month my weight is drifting down. I to try to maintain for 2-3 months after about every 15 pounds of net weight loss. That is because for 40 years I have always had a 100%+ regain. My goal this time around is to master eating maintenance finally.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member

I just hit maintenance last week and I would have been at weight loss longer if I had done it like that! Maybe after I've maintained for a while, but right now, I'm comfortable using MFP and weighing everything.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    Yes. I absolutely learned that I'm hungrier some days than others. Sometimes what I do one day affects how I feel the next. If I go WAY over or under, I won't see it for a couple days. I lose more when I sleep well on a regular basis.

You learn so much when you pay attention. :)
  • chocolatemartini77

Yes, I regard the calorie counting as a way to keep myself accountable, not just knowing "exactly" how many calories I've eaten. I've actually been in maintenance for ten moths, and stopped calorie counting just two weeks ago. Even though I felt the redundancy of counting for the last few months, I'm really a bit scared now, to regain, but what you said here is calming. This is not like it used to be, me eating mindlessly to every cue; I am watching what I eat now. I will not magically get fat again over night, I will weigh daily and can make adjustments as needed.

Congratulations on being in maintenance that is great! I know you will be successful at maintaining. When I get to goal and have maintained a while, I don't continue to calorie count either but journal, so that I'm accountable, councious of what I'm eating. It sounds like you have a strategic reasonable plan to keeping the weight off.
  • chocolatemartini77
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Yes. I absolutely learned that I'm hungrier some days than others. Sometimes what I do one day affects how I feel the next. If I go WAY over or under, I won't see it for a couple days. I lose more when I sleep well on a regular basis.

You learn so much when you pay attention. :)

That is so very true. ;) I feel the same & getting enough sleep has a great effect on how I do. My experiences have been if I'm only getting a couple of hrs a sleep a night, I will be stagnant no matter how good I am eating. It's something how all of that & just taking care of yourself to ensure that you get enough rest all effects weightless.
  • chocolatemartini77
    I too find it is better to eat more when I am hungry and less when I am not hungry. Learned carbs was my trigger food so I major on fats and medium on protein now. I weigh myself each morning and keep those numbers for a month or two. I see cycles but month over month my weight is drifting down. I to try to maintain for 2-3 months after about every 15 pounds of net weight loss. That is because for 40 years I have always had a 100%+ regain. My goal this time around is to master eating maintenance finally. [/quote

Carbs & certain sugars tend to trigger me as well. Your dedication & the fact that you are able to recognize certain cycles in your journey, I think is huge. Congratulations on making it to maintenance. From what you said I think you are going to get this maintenance thing down to a tee.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    My pattern - I get ravenous the week before my period. Pretty much nothing but complex carbs fill me up (but unfortunately not for long because, well, they are carbs). Then I have a normal appetite the two weeks after, and what fills me up the most is a good mix of protein, fat, and fiber. If I don't sleep enough or wake up before 7am, it's much harder to stick to my calorie goal because I get hungrier. I can eat what I want in moderation unless it's PMS week. I also typically need to eat every 3 hours, although sometimes a 900-1000 calorie lunch will keep me full for 6 hours.

And I lose weight ONLY the week after my period, and it involves a lot of peeing. If I skip a period, I don't lose weight that month at all.

Cliff notes - hormones and sleep have a huge effect on my appetite. And I have to keep a deficit to make up for the very hungry days (I'm pretty much maintaining at this point).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Of course...it makes sense...if you look at the way people eat naturally, people aren't eating at the same level of energy intake every single day...people naturally calorie cycle. The human body is a machine and like any machine requires energy to operate efficiently and effectively...your machine is going to have varying levels of energy need depending on what your machine is doing that particular day; greater output is going to require more energy.

Weight management is not the bi-product of daily minutia...it is the bi-product of energy consumption and output over time. This is why people need to just relax if they have a "bad" day or whatever...it's largely irrelevant to the bigger picture.