Approaching 40; changing my body & lifestyle for the better!

Options
Hi everyone!
I'm around 18 months off turning 40. :)
After being through some tough times recently, and openly admitting I have turned to food (and drink!) for comfort, I've been left feeling sluggish, a few pounds heavier and wanting to make some real changes to my life for the better.
I used to be a runner, training and completing my first 5K race for charity last October. I miss the natural high of feeling fit and well.
My aim is to get to my goal of losing around 14lb by Xmas and continue to make the lifestyle changes to feel good on the inside and look better in preparation to turn 40 in Feb 2017!
I hope to draw inspiration from the chat on here and in return hope I can lend my support <3

Replies

• rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I think you have a good and attainable first goal.

I'm a couple months older than you. When I turned 35 was when I decided to change my life around. Like you I turned to food for comfort.

It took about 15 months, but I lost 80 lbs and have been maintaining for over 2 years. With hard work, patience and consistency it can be done!

How much are you planning on losing in total?
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Me too! I only have about 11 months until the big 40, but I already started this past year and, with about 15 lbs to lose, I'm a little over halfway to my goal.

I've been on this road before and fallen off the wagon, but plan to use my age a motivator to not slack off now. I started with modifying my eating and am now focused on adding in more exercise and fitness. I struggle most with social eating and drinking but am trying to find ways to keep a deficit and a life at the same time, since that's the most sustainable. That's why I'm taking it so slow.
  • Graymanstole
    Graymanstole Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Other side of 40 myself, but even here it is possible to make significant changes. Not always easy, certainly frustrating, but achievable!
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    You can do it! That is a attainable goal for sure! Good for you for taking charge. I did the same thing before my 40th birthday. I lost about 15 lbs, reduced my BF% and feel awesome. I have been maintaining for 2 years now. I love to cook, eat (and drink), but tracking my calories is what really helped me. A food scale and a good HRM can be great tools to help with accuracy. I also find my HRM very motivating. Although they are not totally accurate its great to have a better idea of your calorie burn.
    Good luck! :)
  • allen_pauley
    allen_pauley Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Well let me just say I have seen my 40's and I am in my 50's. I have always been a sports guy but the older I get the more challenging it becomes to stay in shape. I would like some people who are on this journey too and together we all can be successful. Life is to short not to enjoy it and help others along the way.
  • LeslieB042812
    Options
    MamaFunky wrote: »
    You can do it! That is a attainable goal for sure! Good for you for taking charge. I did the same thing before my 40th birthday. I lost about 15 lbs, reduced my BF% and feel awesome. I have been maintaining for 2 years now. I love to cook, eat (and drink), but tracking my calories is what really helped me. A food scale and a good HRM can be great tools to help with accuracy. I also find my HRM very motivating. Although they are not totally accurate its great to have a better idea of your calorie burn.

You look fabulous! You're officially my new inspiration. :wink:
  • jb_interiors
    jb_interiors Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've often imagined that I would be in the best shape of my life when I turn 40. That's in Feb 2017 for me and I'm really looking forward to it. Wishing you a very successful journey
  • AirportJo
    AirportJo Posts: 11 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

I've often imagined that I would be in the best shape of my life when I turn 40. That's in Feb 2017 for me and I'm really looking forward to it. Wishing you a very successful journey

We turn 40 in the same month!
    I'm really looking forward to it too. It's a great motivator to make positive changes.
    I wish you all the best too.
  • AirportJo
    AirportJo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Co
    rainbow198 wrote: »
    Hi there!

I'm a couple months older than you. When I turned 35 was when I decided to change my life around. Like you I turned to food for comfort.

It took about 15 months, but I lost 80 lbs and have been maintaining for over 2 years. With hard work, patience and consistency it can be done!

Congratulations on turning your life around and your weight loss. You must feel so proud! I think admitting things have to change, not just weight wise, but in your life in general is the key. Weight gain I'm certain is a symptom of much deeper issues.
    I've had a lot going on in my life recently. Work issues, family issues amongst other things.
    I know I've turned to food for comfort, as well as probably too many of those glasses of wine to "unwind" and lost motivation to keep fit.
    I really want to take back control and be the best person I can be mentally and physically.
    Thanks for the inspiration and comment
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    MamaFunky wrote: »

You look fabulous! You're officially my new inspiration. :wink:

Thank you SO much! That is so nice of you! I really appreciate it! :)

• kjannan
    kjannan Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I turned 40 last month-4 months after having a baby so I wasn't in great shape on the big day! It's definitely harder to lose weight now I'm older.
  • LeslieB042812
    Options
    AirportJo wrote: »
    Co
    rainbow198 wrote: »
    Hi there!

Congratulations on turning your life around and your weight loss. You must feel so proud! I think admitting things have to change, not just weight wise, but in your life in general is the key. Weight gain I'm certain is a symptom of much deeper issues.
    I've had a lot going on in my life recently. Work issues, family issues amongst other things.
    I know I've turned to food for comfort, as well as probably too many of those glasses of wine to "unwind" and lost motivation to keep fit.
    I really want to take back control and be the best person I can be mentally and physically.
    Thanks for the inspiration and comment

I think this is really true. I always find that I gain weight during stressful times and I've always been jealous of people who lose when they're stressed. For me, when I have a lot of stress going on in my life, I just say "screw it!" and stop logging and eat and drink what I feel like. It only takes a few months of that to gain back everything it takes a year to lose. I really don't want to let that happen again this time. I'm getting too old for it and I'm going to start getting baggy skin! lol If you know of any good strategies for not letting it happen, please share. :smile:
  • rosenda9375
    rosenda9375 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'll also be 40 in a few weeks and with all the family history of diabetes and coronary artery disease, I HAVE to get in better shape! I was always thin and had been able to eat what I wanted and not really gain much- even after I had our 3 boys- but that all changed when I hit around 33 and was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis and its been an uphill battle ever since:( it's only been a month but I've lost 13 lbs so far and an on a low cal diet (1000/day) and I walk/jog 1 mile 5-6 times weekly.
    I really want and need to lose around 35 more lbs and I know I can do it:) You'll all be in my prayers and thoughts and I know together we can achieve our goals of getting healthier