Oatmeal

Options
I Hate I mean absolutely hate Oatmeal.

But if I want to get to where I need to be I will do it won't let oatmeal hold me back.

Eating oatmeal foe the next 30 days no matter what!!!

Replies

• jshay295
    jshay295 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat oatmeal if you don't like it. Unless a doctors recommended it in place of something else you've been eating due to health needs?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    and what magic properties to you believe oatmeal has?

I mean, I love the stuff...it has lots of good nutrition as well and is an excellent source of soluble fiber if you have cholesterol issues...but you can get that same nutrition elsewhere with foods you actually like...

I'll never understand this kind of mentality...
  • VELM2
    VELM2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Maybe you like brown rice instead. You can probably create exciting ways to make it a "cereal" if you need that. I recently read articles comparing oatmeal and brown rice, and I'm convinced that there is not too much difference in nutrition benefits. Check it out for yourself. My worst mistake while dieting was trying to force myself to eat things I did not like. Never again. Also remember there are other ways to eat oatmeal than the gooey bowl of mushy cereal our grandmothers used to give us. By the way, I happen to love oatmeal!
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it, don't eat it. It's not magical. It's not my fave, but when I do eat it, I put homemade mulberry or blueberry syrup on it. If I'm gonna do a load of carb, it's gonna be grits! Shrimp and grits, cheese and grits, lamb and grits, buttered grits...
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you can find something which offers you everything you think oatmeal has in the form of something you actually like. If you try to force yourself to do/eat something you hate, you're setting yourself up for failure as it seems more of a battle than it necessarily is :)

But, if you really are dead-set on oatmeal, look up recipes for overnight oats. This really is the best way to eat them, much nicer than as boring hot porridge!
  • momoharuno
    momoharuno Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I think the OP might be doing this as a personal challenge? I.e. "If I can eat oatmeal that I hate for a month than I can do anything!" Kind of mentality, although I agree not making yourself miserable is a way better plan for long term weight loss and success I can also understand wanting to prove something to yourself with an undesirable challenge, just my thoughts I could be totally wrong and she just read a article about oatmeal being a "miracle food" lol but I like to assume the best of everyone :)
  • SQUEESSA
    SQUEESSA Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    As everyone says, you don't have to eat it. But if it's a quick a.m. breakfast you are shooting for it... you'll eventually get use to the taste.

Add a spoonful of brown sugar, and try fresh cut apples, raisins, dried cranberries or even nuts to offset the flavor.

Or you can try Muesli (I use Bob's Red Mill). My doc recommended the night before, I put a cup of it in a bowl and add in some Water, Milk or Almond Milk and let it sit in the fridge overnight. Just grab and go (eat cold).
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I personally believe the moment humans discovered how to roll oats is one of the greatest moments in history that I'm very grateful for. Despite of my undying love for oatmeal I have to ask, why do you believe you need to eat oatmeal to lose weight?
  • mikestobbs1
    mikestobbs1 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    You hate oatmeal but your going to eat it everyday? Why? That is absolutely ridiculous. Whether it's a test for your self or not.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat oatmeal.........

But if you are determined to try to like it. Try it savory (instead of sweet) try it cold (in overnight oats...not cooked)....if all else fails you can blend it into smoothies.
  • 199orBUST
    199orBUST Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Try holding your nose tight when you eat it. Works with avocados.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Do you like cheerios?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Texture hates are nothing to sneeze at. Don't make yourself do it. Find another glorious substitute that you love. How about egg-based breakfasts? A shake?
  • techieflowerchild
    techieflowerchild Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it don't eat it. If you are going to force yourself then try Irish steel cut oats....they taste better.
  • dinosaurparty
    dinosaurparty Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Haha why? There are sooo many cereals and breakfast options out there with similar qualities. Why intentionally make your diet more dificult by eating something you don't like? I looove my oatmeal, but even I dont eat it every day.

If you're determined, though, dry oatmeal is really nice if you add it to smoothies. All the good bits but none of the texture or flavour. I like doing a half cup of oats, some berries and a banana, a handful of chopped baby spinach, some coco (or chocolate protien powder if you're into that), and some almond milk. Super good and filling, just make sure you blend the hell out of it or you get spinach in your teeth :P
  • cherries12345
    cherries12345 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Don't force yourself to eat it! There are lots of other healthy breakfast options. I have been really enjoying Greek yogurt lately! If you are determined to do this however, try adding cinnamon and nuts( I use walnuts) to it. Also, oatmeal tastes incredible with really ripe, sweet peaches! I cannot believe I didn't discover that combo until recently. I also tried it with peanut butter recently, and it was really creamy and good. I also just had it today with Nutella!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it, don't eat it. There's plenty of other stuff to eat !