How to log running at an in-between speed?

Options
jaga13
jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
I use MFP's exercise database to log when I run. Between logging food and exercise faithfully, I've been very consistent with weight loss this year.

Here's my question: I slowly have built up running endurance and can now run about 5.5 mph, but MFP has entries for 5.2 and then jumps up to 6.0 mph. How can I enter the 5.5 mph run? I've been lately just logging 5.2, knowing that calorie counts aren't precise any way, but it sure would be motivating to be able to log a faster speed! Like a mini-celebration :) Is there another way to do this?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You could use a different site's calorie calculator to determine the calories and then override the entry on the MFP 5.2 calculation.

But I just log it as 5.2.
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I log my in between pace all the time. But I also have a GPS watch ( a Tom Tom runner, but a Garmin is a popular choice ). It tells me how many calories I burn per run. I am not too strict with calories so that doesn't matter to me. I just "create my own" exercise and add in my pace and calories, etc. The other day I ran at an 8:45 pace, but there is 6.7 and 7, so I just made my own.
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Keep it up with your running! You will get faster with time and 5.5 is a good, steady pace. When I was training for my 1st marathon last year I kept my long runs in between 10:30 and 11:30 per mile depending on the day. And I also was iffy when I got to the inbetween pace myself when I was logging my runs, but now I just create my own.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm an app freak and I let my Endomondo track and count. It uploads without me thinking about it, too.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! Since I don't have a tracker I'll continue using 5.2 until I can figure out a good estimate (or until I get to 6.0!!). I struggled for a long time with breaking past the 5.0 mark, but got great advice here to simply run more miles each week in order to pick up my pace, which is working slowly but steadily!