Yoga

Options
I was just wondering if anyone had tried Bikram Yoga which is the one you do in the heat for about 90 minutes? Has anyone tried it before? Does it make a difference that its in a hot environment? Any comments would be most welcome as I'm thinking of trying it just to do some different types of exercise.

Thanks

Replies

• anjalip
    anjalip Posts: 3
    Options
    find out your body type , if u r Pitta..do not try it in hot season ...
  • Satya_Ayurveda
    Satya_Ayurveda Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Yes... it is a challenge. Have you done any type of yoga before? I would suggest trying a gentler form of yoga first such as hatha or vinyasa flow and do and then slowly build your way up to bikrim. I practice yoga everyday. The thing about yoga is that no matter how many years you practice, it will ALWAYS be a challenge and you will always work your body. Bikrim can be very difficult and intense because of the heat... but again, it is very transforming both mind and body. You need to plan on drinking several liters of water in addition to what you normally drink. Plan on sweating a lot. The think I find the most difficult is slipping around on my mat! :)
  • Satya_Ayurveda
    Satya_Ayurveda Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Yes... it is a challenge. Have you done any type of yoga before? I would suggest trying a gentler form of yoga first such as hatha or vinyasa flow and do and then slowly build your way up to bikrim. I practice yoga everyday. The thing about yoga is that no matter how many years you practice, it will ALWAYS be a challenge and you will always work your body. Bikrim can be very difficult and intense because of the heat... but again, it is very transforming both mind and body. You need to plan on drinking several liters of water in addition to what you normally drink. Plan on sweating a lot. The think I find the most difficult is slipping around on my mat! :)
  • mlb2711
    mlb2711 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have tried and did enjoy it. It did take alot more time than i thought (90 minutes is very long in the hot streamy room). I dropped out due to time limits. I work full time and work late alot. My class was very crowded and I felt out of place. Everyone was nice but I am very heavy and just starting my program. The class was the same work out and that was disappointing. I was nice to try and I might tr y again when I have more time on hand and less weight on.
  • Sarean
    Sarean Posts: 77
    Options
    I love Bikram, but I started out practicing Vinyasa flow. For me the added heat helps me sweat out more toxins and I come out of class feeling clean on the inside. That probably sounds a bit crazy, but it's the only way I know how to describe it. :)
  • sparrow747
    sparrow747 Posts: 87
    Options
    I like Bikram ... but prefer hot vinyasa much better. If this is your first yoga class, I'd suggest trying something a little more fundamental like a hatha class or flow vinyasa where you can get familiar with some poses and the yoga mindset without dealing with the discomfort of the heat. It's really neat to see your body really sweat a LOT (i'd suggest buying a mat towel too so you aren't slipping everywhere) but I wouldn't go to bikram as a total newbie.
  • dstikeleather
    Options
    I agree with those posting before me. Try a 'gentler' class like vinyasa or hatha and get more accustomed to the poses before moving into bikram. I have not practiced bikram before but have taken several 90 minute vinyasa classes in the heat. It is tough and I am, too, a beginner. One of the biggest probems I had was feeling awkward because I could not perform some of the poses and I tired out before the others. One thing one yogi told me that has really helped is to keep my focus on my own practice and my own mat - meaning - don't worry that I am heavier than the other yogis, that I can't perform the same positions, and my stamina is not as great - I just need to focus on trying to do a little better each time than I did the last time - the focus should be on competing with myself and not the others in the room.

The other suggestion I would make is if you have other studios in your area - try different ones out. Studios really differ in atmosphere and acceptance. I tried one of the larger studios in my area, and like a previous poster, was uncomforable because it was so crowded and I felt like I didn't belong there. I finally found a smaller studio that was much more appropriate for me. More people are on or about my same level and it is not as crowded.

The heat is hard to get used to - if you ever do - lol! I have noticed some changes in my skin health and my overall general health that I attribute to the release of toxiins through sweat during hot yoga. It does make a difference.

I hope you will find a place that you feel comfortable practicing in. Just have fun.
  • tegla
    tegla Posts: 132
    Options
    I'm new to Bikrim Yoga, for amost a month now. I am also new to yoga. I love the heat (for this 90 mins) as I am not tense due to being chilled and everyone is so focused on working the poses. Yes, I've never sweat so much in my life (and I live in the desert) but I don't notice the heat so much, it's just annoying having sweat in your eyes and ears when you're trying to pull, breath, bend!! But the instructors tell you how exactly to move into and out of a pose, when to drink, etc. My instructor takes each of us very personally and only expects you to work hard for your individual body. I love it!

I am always the heaviest in class, but I know there have been many others before me who were also heavy, and have stuck it out and won.

The structure of the class, going thru the same 26 poses has not been boring at all (as I expected) the time flies by, but the thing with the same thing over and over, you can learn, and one day perfect and up the challenge within the same pose, however the thing is I don't have to learn new poses every day, I can focus on my body and perfecting the poses.

I'm definately noticing differences in my body, even my 19 year old son goes also, and he likes it a lot and says in the month+ he notices his body doesn't feel "cloudy" anymore, he's gaining flexibility and confidence with his body. I feel more flexible and my metabolism is ramping up.

I'm a happier person through the day. At this point in my life, that's saying a lot.

Go for it!!
  • tegla
    tegla Posts: 132
    Options
    It's not a big calorie burn, however, you are working your inner core, your glands, your focus, etc... building an efficient body is a huge health benefit in so many ways beyond just losing fat.
  • shannoncaldwell23
    Options
    I did one yoga class of regular hatha yoga about a year ago. And then I tried bikram yoga.

I loved it. It's expensive where I am, so I can't do it as often as I like, but I did it for a month straight and it was fantastic. So I think it's good for a beginner.

Bring LOADS of water. Sip it, don't guzzle. Before, during and after class.
    You really have to make sure that eating healthy is a priority. Because if you eat bad, you WILL pay for it in class. I recommend fruit about an hour and a half before class.
    Don't forget to breathe. :P