Too much protein?

Options
It seems like I'm always way over on my protein...is that a bad thing?

Replies

• mapexdrummer69
    Options
    Please note that macronutrients such as fat and protein should be viewed as dietary MINIMUMS and not maximums. A caloric deficit is what will determine weight loss.
  • hippo421
    hippo421 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've upped my numbers in the setting since I try to eat more protien and less carbs. You should be okay, but know that your body most likely can't digest over 20-25g of protien per meal. Eating more than that in one sitting is not needed and will just go to waste.
  • SAR1L
    SAR1L Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    But what if you are active and working out, doesn't your body need the protein for excersize?
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    But what if you are active and working out, doesn't your body need the protein for excersize?

your goal will adjust when you add exercise
  • Iam918
    Iam918 Posts: 118 Member
    Options

If you are lifting, you will want to get a minimum of 1g / prot per lb of lean body mass to support muscle growth. Otherwise a minimum of 0.8g/lb is sufficient. However, you can't really eat TOO much protein.
  • SAR1L
    SAR1L Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Ah gotcha, I was concerned first couple days cause it was showing me going 30 some points over as I love to have meat with every meal.
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Please note that macronutrients such as fat and protein should be viewed as dietary MINIMUMS and not maximums. A caloric deficit is what will determine weight loss.

Is that true for fat as well? I thought it was only stuff like protein and fiber?
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options

Is that true for fat as well? I thought it was only stuff like protein and fiber?

Yes it sure is. Dietary fat in itself does not lead to adipose body fat storage. A caloric excess will. Dietary fat is an essential nutrient.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Yes, fat is essential BUT you need to also make sure the majority of what you consume is coming from heatlhy sources! Unsaturated fats like those from plant sources (avacados, olives, etc) and fish sources are good for you BUT saturated and trans fats aren't so good for you. Check your labels.

Please people...remember that other people might not know what you do...you can't make a blanket statement like "fat is good for you, don't worry about going over" without providing all the facts. Someone eating a lot of processed foods or fast food might think it's ok that they go over their fats every day and not realize that might be why they're not losing or getting more healthy...
  • ambkel
    ambkel Posts: 4
    Options
    So it's ok? im usually over by about 20, even with exercise on most days. I'm def not doing a low carb diet, just love my cottage cheese!
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Yes, fat is essential BUT you need to also make sure the majority of what you consume is coming from heatlhy sources! Unsaturated fats like those from plant sources (avacados, olives, etc) and fish sources are good for you BUT saturated and trans fats aren't so good for you. Check your labels.

Please people...remember that other people might not know what you do...you can't make a blanket statement like "fat is good for you, don't worry about going over" without providing all the facts. Someone eating a lot of processed foods or fast food might think it's ok that they go over their fats every day and not realize that might be why they're not losing or getting more healthy...

Saturated fats aren't bad for you. Avocadoes are LOADED with saturated fats. Fish also have a decent amount of sat fats. We really need to get off the line of thought where saturated fats are bad for you because it is simply not true.

I do agree that the vast majority of processed foods and fast foods are bad though....
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options

I do agree that the vast majority of processed foods and fast foods are bad though....

Of course the main reason being that they tend to be lower in vitamins and minerals. :-)