Treadmill Incline

Options
How do you calculate incline calories? I walked at a pace of 3.5 mph, 15% incline, not holding on of course.

Replies

• MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Probably just halve the calories that the treadmill gives you.
  • ds6099
    ds6099 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Bump. Anyone know?
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    You could use your heart rate
    http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx
    This will give you your gross for your net there is a link here to do that calculation
  • barryplumber
    Options
    To understand the difference between the gross and net calorie burn that the machines give you read
    http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/articles/net-versus-gross-calorie-burn.aspx
  • barryplumber
    Options
    With out an HRM it's the best you got. Shapesense calculators Is what i use
  • barryplumber
    Options
    With out an HRM it's the best you got. Shapesense calculators Is what i use

Almost forgot remember your first calculation is gross, follow it through to get your net
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Try this:
    http://www.walktcfitness.com/treadmill-calorie-calculator/

It's an estimation based on whether or not the treadmill you're using is correctly calibrated for speed and incline.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ashleesaid
    ashleesaid Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    For a warmup I do 3.5 mph on a level "3" incline, enter my weight and trust that the machine has calculated my calories accurately...

Is it wrong to trust the treadmill's calorie count?
  • RosieWest8
    RosieWest8 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I used to use a HRM when I did my cardio and I found that if the machine you are using allows you to put in your age, weight, and height (or age and weight at the very least) --- it's calorie estimate was close enough to the estimate I got from my HRM (I had a cheaper HRM so I used the shapesense website to enter in my 'avg HR' from my monitor and calculated calories burned using that). IF the machine doesn't let you input any information then it will most likely not be very accurate.

When I was using a HRM, I knew that the calories burned that I came up with was just an estimate but I used it and ate back most of those calories and still lost weight so I figured those estimates were good enough. So sometimes it's just a little trial and error to see what works.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ashleesaid wrote: »
    For a warmup I do 3.5 mph on a level "3" incline, enter my weight and trust that the machine has calculated my calories accurately...

Is it wrong to trust the treadmill's calorie count?

yes- it usually over exaggerates by quiet a lot.