Any Workout advice for a SAHM with kids under 4yr old?

Options
I'm a stay at home with three girls a 4 yr old, 2yr old & 8mnth old and I've been trying to do p90x but it hasn't planned out like I wanted to:-/ my oldest wants to start buggin my 2 yr old starts climbing on my back or holding on to me and laughs then when I just when i think the baby is finally asleep I put in my workout DVD only to stop in the middle of my workout to her crying her lungs out so I wanted to know if any one has any workouts or tips that you can share with me

Replies

• bbush18
    bbush18 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have a 2yo and I do my workouts before his dad goes to work in the morning and during his naps. Although, he's been a good sleeper from the get go...when he does wake up in the middle of his nap, I usually let him cry it out and he'll go back to sleep (as long as it's in the beginning or middle of his nap...if it's in the last 30 min stretch then it doesnt look too good as far as finishing my workout!) I say try letting her cry herself back to sleep...it's amazing that you'd get anything done while both of them are awake! (When I try to do my workouts while my son is awake...I apparently look like a jungle gym!!) Good luck! :)
  • JonieB
    JonieB Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Do you have a portable DVD player or a laptop that the 2 older ones can watch during your workout. I have a 3 year and a c
    3 month old. I give my 3 year old my iPhone or just some puzzles. The 3 month old I put in his bouncy seat where he can see me. He usually falls asleep.
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I used to use mine as a dumbell or sorts! I'd bear hug her and do squats, or lay on my back and put her over my head
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I didn't manage to do any exercise until my youngest started nursery when he was 2 1/2 years.

However, I probably would have managed the 30 day shred had it existed back then. I have it now and do it in the evenings while my husband gives the children a bath. DO you get any time like that you could fit 25 mins in? I can't do it during the day with them at home. They don't leave me alone for long enough.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    put 'em in a stroller or pull 'em in a wagon. Walking will drop the pounds and get y'all out of the house.
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I have 4 kids 2 that are not in school yet 2 and 4. You have to do what you can when you can. Either before the kids get up, after they go to bed or have them workout with you. My girls love to try to imitate what im doing. For a short while anyway. Good luck! I know how hard it can be!
  • rileymama
    rileymama Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have 4 kids ages 13 months to 5 and I found I have to get up b/f them to exercise when I can...otherwise I wait for baby to nap and put a movie on for the other three...I know what you mean about feelig like a jungle gym!!!!My youngest will get under me if I'm in plank position, and laugh as she blows on my face or sit on my stomach when I'm doing ab work :)
  • skinnymeinaz
    skinnymeinaz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this helps you but my 4 yr old likes to play alot with me so I have wii games that we excercise with while having fun....just dance, just dance 2, wii sports, even bowling. It all adds up. I also can put on a dvd or give him a game to play while I get on the treadmill. If this doesn't work try getting them to nap around the same time or getting up earlier.

If all else fails take them outside and race with them (not the baby lol) until the kids wear out or you do :D Hope this helps.
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Can you work out with your older kids? What if you exercise with them outside? Kids have so much energy and they love to run around. It seems like you burn some calories, spend time with your kids, and teach them about being healthy at the same time. You could also get a pretty hard-core workout by going on walks with them - push the older two in a stroller while carrying the baby on your back.

Maybe you could form a co-op mom group with some friends where you guys get together to exercise and watch each others' kids.
  • kellybstampin
    Options
    I have 3 kids (8, 6, 4). I found that going to the gym, even though I got 2 hours of childcare wasn't happening because of them (they couldn't find their shoes, didn't want to go, etc.). So I got Jillian Michaels 30DS (and Ripped in 30, but haven't started that one yet). Because the workout is only 25 min total (including warm up and cool down), it's JUST enough time for me to get in my workout WITHOUT them going ballistic on each other. Younger ones are a bit more difficult, especially the baby, but if you can put a show they really love on, you might be able to do it! GOOD LUCK!
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    One of the best things I ever did was get my kid on a STRICT bedtime schedule. It's always gone something like this:

5:00 dinner
    6:00 bath (he normally plays in there for close to an hour)
    6:45 - 7:00 (get ready for bed and a story)
    7:00 - 7:30 bed

He's 7 and STILL goes to bed at 7 or 7:30. The routine hasn't changed since he was a baby.

What's great about it is there's no arguments - and it leaves the evenings quiet for us adults to do what we want (like a workout DVD).

I get that you have 3 - so it'll be tougher to keep them on a schedule - even tougher if you've never had a strict routine. But trust me, it's AWESOME in the long run. AND... once it's established, it makes for much easier bedtimes in the years to come.
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Idk who your cble provider is but with alot of providers these days you can find fitness programs on demand as thru comcast or u-verse even net flix for that matter. The variety is great and often you can find 20 min full body workouts that you can squeeze in while your child (ren) nap (s) or there is ten minute ones as well that you can do say before you hop in the shower at the end of the day or before getting the crew up in the am.

Finding balance as a parent especially one with young kids is a challenge and you got to get creative sometimes! But finding the time for yourself and your health is imperative to your over all happiness :)

I used to be a pre-school teacher and when we had rainy days and couldn't make it outside the munchkins would be crazy with pent up energy and in need of some plain ol fun so we would pop in a cd of kids songs and have at it! We would all dance around the class sometimes in silly unorchestrated dance or we would do the hokey pokey etc.. This got both me and my students moving and we had a blast doing it :)

Good luck!
  • hbrekkaas
    hbrekkaas Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I gave up on doing exercise dvds years ago, and I gave up using an exercise ball because they kids were just always underfoot and I didn't want to trip on someone and hurt them or myself. My kids are 8, 3 and 18mos. I take the two little ones in the stroller almost everyday for a walk, and I go biking with my 8 year old after dinner. Even running around the backyard can be a workout. Take them outside and play tag, if you carry the baby whlie trying to catch the others its even better.
  • koylefam
    koylefam Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    My kids are 6, 5, and 3. And I also work in the school system. So during school I just have to buckle down and get up at 5. That way I am done and ready for the day before they get up. Even now that it is summer, I still get up by 6:30. It is nice to have some time for just me. And I now look forward to that time to spend on myself. As any mom knows it's nice to have time for you. Find something you enjoy that way you will be more inclined to get up and do it.
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I have a home daycare and I try to dance for about 20 minutes about 3 days a week with the kids. When theya re outside, we play some active sport games and I also will do step ups on our porch step and also on the wood surrounding our playground. The kids like to watch me acting crazy and swinging my arms like crazy!! Also I will spend about 5 minutes taking turns swing each child between my legs. They just can't get enough of that!! Basically I use my kids throughout the day! Going for walks with them in the stroller is a huge workout too!!
    Once they are gone and my 12 yr old daughter is home, I exercise at night. I use an elliptical machine and listen to my iPod while I watch a movie. I will let her choose a movie she can sit and watch "with me" while I exercise. I also do 30 Day Shred which is 20 minutes and I try to do that before she gets up in the a.m.
  • koylefam
    koylefam Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I TOTALLY agree. Even with three kids they are generally in bed by 7:30... (unless we have late t-ball games).... You have to decide to make the time where you can
  • mariangel03
    Options
    THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR AWESOME ADVICE!!!!
    I AM DEFINETLY GOING TO USE THESE TIPS!!!
  • fteale
    Options
    I wanted to say also that I am someone who is naturally fit, and I like exercising, but I just couldn't fit it in when my children were small, and for about 5 years I did no more than walking. There was nothing worse than having people say "you have to just MAKE time" "there's no excuse" "Go to the gym in the evening when their father comes home"

Do you know what? After looking after small very manic children for 12 hours on my own with no adult interaction, I didn't WANT to go to the gym the moment my husband got home. I wanted to sit down for the first time that day, and actually spend time with him. Not that we got much of it, my children have never been good at going to bed before 9pm. Sometimes, actually, you don't have time, and other people saying stupid, insensitive things like "just make time" doesn't help, it just makes you feel even worse about the complete lack of any sort of me time you get as a mother of young children. I don't think I got 5 minutes to myself for the first 5 years of having children. And if I did, I usually needed to wash my hair, or cook a meal (usually done with one child clinging on round my leg and the other perched on one arm - I got big arm muscles). Some people don't have any spare time, not even 20 minutes to do a DVD, and it sucks. So don't let people make you feel any worse about it than you already do when you have lost you in the drudge of parenting.
  • sharidiane
    sharidiane Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Do you know what? After looking after small very manic children for 12 hours on my own with no adult interaction, I didn't WANT to go to the gym the moment my husband got home. I wanted to sit down for the first time that day, and actually spend time with him. Not that we got much of it, my children have never been good at going to bed before 9pm. Sometimes, actually, you don't have time, and other people saying stupid, insensitive things like "just make time" doesn't help, it just makes you feel even worse about the complete lack of any sort of me time you get as a mother of young children. I don't think I got 5 minutes to myself for the first 5 years of having children. And if I did, I usually needed to wash my hair, or cook a meal (usually done with one child clinging on round my leg and the other perched on one arm - I got big arm muscles). Some people don't have any spare time, not even 20 minutes to do a DVD, and it sucks. So don't let people make you feel any worse about it than you already do when you have lost you in the drudge of parenting.

Amen. Oh lawdy, for all the times I let stupid, insensitive comments bring me to tears - shame on ME. NO ONE knows how hard it is to be a SAHM until they do it. It is friggin HARD. And there is plenty of time to work out. My girls are 5 and 7 and I feel like I can really just now start to focus on me. And you know what? It's fine that it took this long. My kids are super happy, whole, caring, well behaved little monsters. haha.

Fit in what you can when you can. Three 15 minute sessions CAN BE as effective as one 45 minute session. Good luck.

(And thank you fteale. VERY WELL PUT!)

Edited to make girls ages 5 and 7 - when the s*&t did that happen??????
  • fteale
    Options
    You're welcome. I wish someone had told me all that when mine were babies. It would have made me feel like less of a failure.