Is a personal trainer essential?

Options
When it comes to strength training, I am a novice at best. I joined a gym, (Anytime Fitness) where the membership is paid as a part of my benefit package, and I had a free fitness evaluation with a personal trainer. I then had the sales pitch for personal training sessions. It is a year commitment and I am not sure where I can find the money in my budget for the fees.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Not essential - especially if you can't afford it. I think it is nice to have - but there's so much information out there in books, online, on this website certainly you can find what you need to get a good program going at the gym.
  • missprecocious
    missprecocious Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Definitely not needed. There are so many YouTube videos about training, and great Pinterest workouts.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I don't believe it is essential for everybody.

Last summer, when I first started lifting weights, I bought a package that gave me 3 sessions with a trainer. I just wanted to learn proper form and get on a lifting program and that's exactly what I got. That was extremely helpful. Any more sessions than that would have been a waste for me.

Can you buy just a few personal training sessions from the gym? If not, can you get a few sessions elsewhere (or at your gym with an outside trainer--is that bad gym etiquette? I have no idea. Hopefully somebody will chime in...) so that you learn proper form?
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    When I started lifting I asked a trainer at my gym to help with deadlift and squat form. They didn't know the answers. I find commercial gym trainers to really not know very much. I learned from youtube form videos and reading up on routines online.
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Not essential, but a brief 30 min session with one was enough to improve my lifting form somewhat.

If you do go the trainer route, make sure you do a little research and ask them some questions first, there are a lot of duff ones out there.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's essential. I do think it can be helpful in learning form when you are really new--it helped me feel more confident even after I'd spent some time teaching myself from videos, but I don't think I'd agree to a year commitment.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    A year commitment is whack. A session or two to make you more comfortable could be very useful, but not essential.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    When it comes to strength training, I am a novice at best. I joined a gym, (Anytime Fitness) where the membership is paid as a part of my benefit package, and I had a free fitness evaluation with a personal trainer. I then had the sales pitch for personal training sessions. It is a year commitment and I am not sure where I can find the money in my budget for the fees.

Nope

Although I love my PT but I book him week to week

I don't get this year long commitment, sounds a swizz
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Nope. I personally do not like people telling me what to do.
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    A couple of sessions to make sure your form is good is fine, but a year commitment sounds like a waste.
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't sign up for a year, that is a long time to commit to someone you may or may not like. However, if you want to start strength training, especially with free weights, a session of two isn't an awful idea. A person to help you with form will be beneficial.
  • anneeett
    anneeett Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for an alternative: I like to check out http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbmaintrain.htm from time to time when I want to swtich up my workout routine, but am not sure which exercises to implement. They have various workout plans, and short video tutorials to show you how each exercise should be done :)
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    After seeing the bad form and horrible advice given by the fool trainers at my gym, I wouldn't recommend it without some research on their training and background (note: mine is another one of those large chain gyms, I just don't think it's as good quality. can't wait to break up with them when my contract is up!). Ironically, some of the best form tips I've gotten were from a group fitness instructor. And that was free.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    A year commitment is whack. A session or two to make you more comfortable could be very useful, but not essential.

Cosigned.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I've worked with a trainer for 14 months 2-3x/ week. For me it has been essential to the fitness and weight loss progress I've made. However, I would not have signed on for a year at the beginning or even now. He offers multi session packages at a discount, but it's 10-20 sessions, not a year.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

/agree

Immediately walk away from anyone selling a long term commitment without verification. Reach out to a trainer and do a trial session. Some trainers are miracle workers - others simply won't work well with you, but you need to establish a relationship first.
  • arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    That trainer could have been well known and highly referrable, could have been why his package was as lengthy as it was.
    Trainers would def like to have clients in longer packages as it keeps them from having to find new clients all the time.
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I've worked with a trainer for 14 months 2-3x/ week. For me it has been essential to the fitness and weight loss progress I've made. However, I would not have signed on for a year at the beginning or even now. He offers multi session packages at a discount, but it's 10-20 sessions, not a year.

this has been my experience. I've been working with a trainer for 2 years. I buy sessions in bulk -- generally 8-16 sessions at a time (2x per week). Both trainers were terrific to help me with my form -- and my current trainer is moving me into lifting heavy -- and is always checking my form.

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Nope

Although I love my PT but I book him week to week

I don't get this year long commitment, sounds a swizz

I love my trainer...but for the last 18 months, I have paid for training 3 weeks at a time (2 hours a week).

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    bump