Hungry

Options
I have started a diet to loose 1 1/2 stone I am finding cutting down on food hard and felling hungry although i have meet my calorie needs any advice on what to do

Replies

• Chicasonamission
    Chicasonamission Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm always hungry too....lol try more fruits and veggies they have lower calories.
  • karliebethell
    karliebethell Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I would check that you're getting enough protein and fats. I find that if I keep my meals too light and bulk too much on the veggies that I'm starving. Also are you snacking?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Be sure you aren't trying to be too restrictive. There's no need to feel hungry while losing weight. You simply need to be eating fewer calories than you're burning, you don't need to starve yourself. For example, if you're trying for 2 pounds per week and you only have 30 pounds to lose, you're being too aggressive. Here's a good set of guidelines:

Pound per week goals
    75+ lbs: set to lose 2 lb range (-1000 calories per day)
    Between 40 - 75 lbs: set to lose 1.5 lb range (-750 calories per day)
    Between 25 - 40 lbs: set to lose 1 lb range (-500 calories per day)
    Between 15 - 25 lbs: set to lose 1 -.50 lb range (-500 to -250 calories per day)
    Less than 15 lbs: set to lose 0.5 lbs range (-250 calories per day)
  • matthewhaley02
    matthewhaley02 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Always try to think how far you've come. What's more important right now. The food you'll eat and regret or the body you'll have and enjoy?
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    Get enough protein, fat, and fiber. Eat big salads loaded with leafy vegetables. And realize that hunger can be hormonal too. Are you premenstrual right now?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Always try to think how far you've come. What's more important right now. The food you'll eat and regret or the body you'll have and enjoy?

So "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels"? That's hogwash. A better mantra is "Find a diet that works for you so you'll stick with it." People quit their extreme weight loss plans because they can't sustain them. Better to eat a little more, lose weight a little more slowly and actually reach success.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    These are my really general tips for hunger. Maybe some of these will help you:

1. Make sure that your calorie goals are actually set appropriately. Don't skip this step. A lot of people set goals that are too aggressive and then wonder why they're having a hard time. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

2. Look for foods higher in protein, fat, and fiber. These help us stay full and more satisfied longer. If you're using MFP's default settings, try to consider protein, fat, and fiber as minimums to reach every day rather than maximums to stay below.

3. Drink plenty of fluids. Some people really do confuse thirst and hunger.

4. Get plenty of rest. This includes sleeping enough and taking rest days from the exercise. Sometimes our bodies look for food when they're exhausted.

5. Play around with your meal timings. Some people do really well on 5-6 small meals a day and others feel like they want to gnaw their own arm off eating like that. Skipping breakfast, eating breakfast, 16:8 fasting, 6 small meals, 3 larger meals, snacks, no snacks, meal timing won't make a big difference to your weight loss, but it may help your hunger levels, mood, concentration, gym performance, etc. throughout the day. Don't be afraid to try a different way and see if it helps.

6. Wait it out. If you know you're eating enough and the other steps above aren't helping, you may just have to wait it out. Our bodies send out hunger signals partially out of habit. If you eat at a certain time every day your body will start to get hungry at that time. The good news is that these signals can be retrained to stop telling you to be hungry all the time. The bad news is that you may just have to be hungry for a little bit while that happens.

7. I also think it's important to remember that there's a habitual component to hunger. This goes along with point #6, but if you eat because you're bored or you're used to eating in front of the TV or in the car or whatever it is, then you can replace those habits with others that are better for you. Things like keeping water on hand to sip instead of snacking or picking up hobbies that keep your hands busy or that get you out of the house more can help out a little while you're retraining your hunger cues. You might need to pay attention to why you're eating/hungry or what you're feeling when you eat and try to replace food with other things, but it can be really beneficial over time.
  • sineadmcd1
    sineadmcd1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks every one for the tips I will be sure to take them on board
  • loic901
    loic901 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Try eating stuff rich in fiber kidney bean is an example.. Make you feel full with low qty! Plus its pretty cheap