Weight training????

Options
RiniShy
RiniShy Posts: 9 Member
Hi, I'm looking for some information about weight training. I've got cardio (walking, biking, etc..) but I've never done much (or any) weight lifting or anything like that. I would like to tone my body some, but I really don't know where to start. I've looked online and tried to watch some videos, but I think be cause I've never done it before some of the lingo I don't understand. Example: Reps? Sets? Any help would be much appreciated! :smiley:

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    The best thing is to start with an established workout routine. New Rules of Lifting, Stronglifts, and Starting Strengh are all great beginner programs that focus on full body, compound exercises. Just reading NRoL or Starting Strength will give you a ton of information that's clear and easy to read.

Keep in mind that to "tone" you need to lose body fat to expose the muscle underneath. This means keeping your eating in check first and foremost.

There are some great threads on this in the fitness section too.

Happy Lifting :D
  • NJDad
    NJDad Posts: 37 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I second Stronglifts and Starting Strength. I don't know New Rules of Lifting.

If you are going to a gym, you might try a strength and conditioning gym that fits your personality. They usually combine some kind of weight lifting with a short, high intensity workout.

CrossFit gyms are an example of that, but there are others. But for a standard gym try Starting Strength. It's 3 exercises per workout, 3 sets, 3 non-consecutive days a week.Here's a variation of it (without the power clean, which can be tricky if you don't have a coach, IMHO). All you do is alternate between workout A and B.

Workout A Workout B
    3x5 Squat 3x5 Squat
    3x5 Press 3x5 Bench Press
    1x5 Deadlift 1x5 Deadlift

It's very, very basic and you will get amazing results fast.

I'd start with just the bar and every workout add 5 pounds (2.5 per side). That means you will get 15 pounds stronger in your squat and deadlift every week and 5 or 10 pounds stronger on your presses. Your body will adapt and you'll be amazed.

Ten when you are comfortable with that, there are some variations (like the power clean).

See:
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Program#Three_Flavors_of_Starting_Strength

• NJDad
    Options

That will help with the lingo. You can also look on YouTube for how to videos.

Here's a video explaining Starting Strength.

https://youtu.be/ttbAAZOd3EM

• kami3006
    Options
    Yeah, I too think Stronglifts is the best of the three. NRoL is a great read though for getting a full understanding of lifting and how the body responds to it.
  • NJDad
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    Yeah, I too think Stronglifts is the best of the three. NRoL is a great read though for getting a full understanding of lifting and how the body responds to it.

Just started Stronglifts. Why do you like it better than SS?
  • kami3006
    Options
    Just personal preference, but I like the 5x5 routine of Stronglifts instead of 3x5 of SS. Plus, I felt that, when just starting out, learning to do a power clean can be a bit much for someone learning at home. It can be done, I did it, but it just doesn't seem ideal to me. Also, Stronglifts incorporates information on what to do at a plateau and I don't recall that in SS. Lastly, the Stronglifts app is great and free.

They're both great programs. I just prefer SL.

I hope you enjoy it. I ran it for 25 weeks and it was great.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    If you already belong to a gym, check w/the staff they may be able to help you get started and ensure you are performing the exercises correctly. Form is more important than the weight you lift especially when you are first starting out. If you don't belong to a gym, check out some of the locally owned ones vs. chains; they tend to be somewhat cheaper and the staff friendlier. Good luck! B)
  • RiniShy
    Options
    Thanks for all of your help! I'm actually looking for a gym to join now, but wondered if there was anything I could do while waiting. Thanks for all of the tips they are really appreciated!
  • ryanflebbe
    ryanflebbe Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of things you can do. You can do pushups, bodyweight squats, dips, pullups. You probably can't do a pullup yet, but you can try, or do part of one, of just lower yourself. These are not exercises where you lift weights, but they are resistance exercises,which is what weight training is. For someone who has never done strength training before, they would be good to start. It doesn't have to be fancy or perfect. There are a million resistance/strength training philosophies, systems, workouts, etc. and none are magic. Consistency and effort are the key. If you are still confused by the most basic comcepts, a rep is short for repetition, or performing the movent of an exercise one time. For example, getting into the pushup position, lowering yourself down and then pushing yourself back up to where you started is one rep. If you do that 10 times in a row, that is ten reps, or ten pushups. That group of ten reps done together in a row is a set. So, doing 3 sets of 10 reps would be doing ten pushups, resting for a few minutes, doing 10 pushups, resting for a few minutes and finally doing 10 more pushups. This would be your last set, if you were doing 3 sets, of ten reps. It would be written 3x10 in a workout. The first number is the number of sets, and the second number is thd number of reps in each set. You can start by doing something as simple as 2 sets of as many reps of pushups as you can, then two sets of bodyweight squats for as many as you can, and finding something suitably heavy for you and doing a row with one arm at a time. Look up dumbell row on the internet for instructions amd/or video of how to do this exercise. Instead of a dumbell though, you would use a paint can, or a bag with heavy stuff in it, or a large container with a gallon or two pf some liquid in it and a handle(like milk jug, laundry detergent bottle, whatever). Do a couple sets of 10-20 reps. If you can do like 50 reps, get something heavier. Do these three exercises every other day untill you have access to weights and get on a real program. You will be farther than if you had done nothing. Any questions, ask.
  • ryanflebbe
    ryanflebbe Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Also, keep reading and learning about weight training. You will learn more and more and things will start to make sense and fall into place . Pretty soon you will be very knowledgeable. As you lift and progress you will keep learning, the real kind of learning you can only get by applying what you have read and testing and figuring out what works best for you, for real.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »

I agree with this advice, in that I started with NRoL and found the program both a bit more confusing and less focused on strength advances (it's more of a 3x8-12 structure) than SL, although some are going to find the exercises it uses easier to start with, especially since the barbell bar alone is too heavy or intimidating for some at first.

I would HIGHLY recommend that anyone new to lifting and a little intimidated by it consider reading NRoL -- OP, if you are female (as it seems), New Rules of Lifting for Women or the New Rules of Lifting for Life are good books to read, and as an alternative so is Strong Curves (also a decent starter program). They explain things really well.
  • RiniShy
    Options
    Thank you for your help! I appreciate the recommendations from everyone. Thank you ryanflebbe, I was getting nervous that it was supposed to be perfect when I'm starting out for it to have any benefit. I will read NRoL and thank you lemurcat12 for the advice for New Rules of Lifting for Women. Some of my friends are worried I'm going to bulk up or something and not look like a woman anymore if I do strength training. lol. I couldn't imagine me like that, but what is wrong with a little muscle, you know?
  • NJDad
    Options
    RiniShy wrote: »
    Some of my friends are worried I'm going to bulk up or something and not look like a woman anymore if I do strength training. lol. I couldn't imagine me like that, but what is wrong with a little muscle, you know?

It's very hard to bulk up unless you are genetically predisposed. That's why body builders spend years doing crazy routines and some resort to steroids to bulk. Plus none of the programs mentioned are focused on hypertrophy (bulking). You will get very strong, help prevent osteoporosis, improve your hormone balance, improve your overall health, and be a total bad *kitten*, however.

• kami3006
    Options
    Thank you for your help! I appreciate the recommendations from everyone. Thank you ryanflebbe, I was getting nervous that it was supposed to be perfect when I'm starting out for it to have any benefit. I will read NRoL and thank you lemurcat12 for the advice for New Rules of Lifting for Women. Some of my friends are worried I'm going to bulk up or something and not look like a woman anymore if I do strength training. lol. I couldn't imagine me like that, but what is wrong with a little muscle, you know?

Just whip out the before and after pics on the fitness forum so they can see what it really does to the body. :p
  • skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I pick things up and put them down.
  • Tamlyngo
    Tamlyngo Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your help! I'm actually looking for a gym to join now, but wondered if there was anything I could do while waiting. Thanks for all of the tips they are really appreciated!

Get a pair of Dumbbells and try this:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/rudy6.htm
  • RiniShy
    Options
    Wow, thanks Tamlyngo! This will be great until I can get to the gym!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Some of my friends are worried I'm going to bulk up or something and not look like a woman anymore if I do strength training. lol. I couldn't imagine me like that, but what is wrong with a little muscle, you know?

I want to gain muscle and it's tough to do. (Especially if you are at a deficit, when it's basically not going to happen.) Your friends are wrong to worry about it (and like you said, what's wrong with a little muscle!?).
  • maire911
    maire911 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting is a great way to lose weight. The more muscle you have the more calories your body will burn. Don't worry about bulking up, that rarely happens to women unless they are lifting heavy and/or taking supplements. If you do join a gym and can afford to, hire a personal trainer to help you get the basics down. If you can't afford a trainer, there are a lot of resources on the internet to help. My main tip would be to start out slow, doing what you are comfortable with and progress from there, slowly. Don't do anything that hurts a joint (knees, shoulders, etc..) Here is a link with some good info: http://www.niashanks.com/11-beginner-strength-training-tips-women/ Good luck!