Good weight lifting programs while cutting?

Options
Hi I am currently in maintenance calories doing PHAT however I would like to lose a bit more fat and will be cutting Cals soon I feel like this program will be too much and I will burn out ? Are there any good programs with a bit less intensity ? I was thinking strong lifts 5x5 because I don't have to worry about hypertrophy sets so much ? Tia

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I prefer something with less volume (and potentially frequency) when cutting so something simple like 1-5x5 with minimal accessories (I tend to stick to the big ones like pull-ups and rows). I've had good success maintaining strength and mass while cutting this way. Too much volume while cutting and my strength drops like a rock.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Google Lift-Run-Bang. Paul Carter has awesome programming!!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Dance with them that brung you. I like to keep the program about the same but with cut backs in max weight lifted when I feel that I have to. Maybe a few less sets if I'm getting fatigued sooner, but if that's the case it's likely my deficit is too aggressive.
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I had incredible success doing the following:
    Training day 1: Heavy Pull (Heavy = aiming for strength and power rep ranges; no more than 6 reps on working sets, sometimes as low as two)
    Training Day 2: Heavy Push
    Training Day 3: Legs (heavy week 1, hypertrophy week 2 -OR- if you want to add a 6th day, do Heavy then Hypertrophy on day 6)
    Training Day 4: Hypertrophy pull
    Training Day 5: Hypertrophy push

The 5 day split left plenty of flexibility for when things (life) got in the way. I had a structured rest day usually after leg day, but my second rest day was used whenever I needed it.

My results? Well I added 2lbs of LBM while cutting over 7% bf and losing 25+ lbs so far.
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    Dance with them that brung you. I like to keep the program about the same but with cut backs in max weight lifted when I feel that I have to. Maybe a few less sets if I'm getting fatigued sooner, but if that's the case it's likely my deficit is too aggressive.

I'd agree here, as I only changed up a bit of my accessory work to minimize too much volume. However, I kept carbs pretty high (200+g's) on my cut, and ate plenty of protein (about 1.25-1.35g's per lb of LBM).

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Same programs that would be effective while training to increase mass/strength. Generally, just a reduction in volume.
  • Mazintrov13
    Mazintrov13 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice ! I think I am going to focus on maintaining my strength and drop some accessories I also plan on adding in 2 days of bodyweight hiit and one day of steady state cardio. When I have cut previously I've always cut carbs so I'm thinking this time I'll keep carbs relatively high to keep up with my training and see how it goes :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Oooh. Yeah, something besides PHAT for sure. I felt like death doing PHUL on a deficit and that's even less. I didn't mind 5/3/1 while cutting but I know other's don't agree that it's great. 5x5 may be better.
  • matthewhaley02
    matthewhaley02 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm cutting right now running PPLPPL-R
    I hit my shoulders on leg day instead of push day though :).

It's a great program and you can try and maintain 5x5 on the main lifts. Just make sure volume is high if you want muscle/definition. I try and hit 4 sets of 10-12
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Unless I'm shifting my training focus- my training plan stays the same- I only change my cardio.