Same meal everyday.will it work??

Options

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    kazminchu wrote: »
    I think it depends on the person. For example, 8 months of the year I will have tuna salad for lunch every work day. The other 6 I have soup. I still really enjoy my tuna salad every day, but my colleague is horrified because she gets bored after eating the same thing for 2 days running.
    Do what works for you. You can always try having prepping the same thing for a week's worth of meals and seeing how you get on. If you get bored, try something else.

Your years have 14 months! ;)

I get bored easily, so I make a lot of one pot dishes (soups, stews, chili, curry, beans, burritos, stuffed peppers, etc) and separate them and freeze them in portions labeled with the date and calorie count. That way I can eat something different everyday without much effort, but I also don't have to cook everyday.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It's not a strategy that would be ver healthy long-term. You need a variety of healthy foods if you want a balanced diet. But a week won't make or break you, so if you wish to eat the same thing every day for a week, go for it.

As far as eating healthy and making things quickly...I couldn't do it. If you want healthy foods that taste good, you have to put some time into it. Learn how to prepare those foods in the ways you like best. Experiment with different food combinations and different herbs and spices. There are just many different spices out there.

You can cook daily or cook weekly and freeze, but you're going to have to cook some food if you want healthy ones.

Some people assume that eating healthy means plain, baked chicken every day, but there are so many ways to prepare chicken. You could go a month and never eat the same chicken dish twice. And chicken isn't the only healthy lean meat, either.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that healthy food must be plain and not taste good, lol. It's not true. You just have to learn how to make it taste good. Then, you get to eat foods you love AND eat healthy ones. And that is a wonderful thing! :)
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person. For example, 8 months of the year I will have tuna salad for lunch every work day. The other 6 I have soup. I still really enjoy my tuna salad every day, but my colleague is horrified because she gets bored after eating the same thing for 2 days running.
    Do what works for you. You can always try having prepping the same thing for a week's worth of meals and seeing how you get on. If you get bored, try something else.

I get bored easily, so I make a lot of one pot dishes (soups, stews, chili, curry, beans, burritos, stuffed peppers, etc) and separate them and freeze them in portions labeled with the date and calorie count. That way I can eat something different everyday without much effort, but I also don't have to cook everyday.

Queenmunchy, You seem to have the whole food prep process down pat. Do you have a blog? If not, you should!! :)
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    lucys1225 wrote: »

Queenmunchy, You seem to have the whole food prep process down pat. Do you have a blog? If not, you should!! :)

My sister in law keeps asking me to make one too. When my daughter was eating solids (she's almost 8 now), I would make and freeze her baby food. After doing that maybe two weekends, I realized that I should apply the same thing to me. I started by making things like habichuelas rosadas and separating them into two portions, or four portion casseroles for me and my ex husband to eat. I would cook things like instant brown rice to accompany my beans when I had them for dinner.

After a few months, I started freezer cooking and making things in muffin tins, sauces, one pot meals, burgers, burritos, breakfast sandwiches, empanadas, wontons, egg rolls, calzones, pizzas, frozen fries, nuggets, meatballs, and even cooked portions of rice, pasta, chicken, or steak.

Every single one of those recipes was PACKED with vegetables right into them and was made healthier.

The years I spent as a single mom with a demanding job, taking care of all house responsibilities, yardwork, carting my child around to her many activities were really rough, so I made sure that I used my time the best way I could.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    It's not a strategy that would be ver healthy long-term. You need a variety of healthy foods if you want a balanced diet. But a week won't make or break you, so if you wish to eat the same thing every day for a week, go for it.

As far as eating healthy and making things quickly...I couldn't do it. If you want healthy foods that taste good, you have to put some time into it. Learn how to prepare those foods in the ways you like best. Experiment with different food combinations and different herbs and spices. There are just many different spices out there.

You can cook daily or cook weekly and freeze, but you're going to have to cook some food if you want healthy ones.

Some people assume that eating healthy means plain, baked chicken every day, but there are so many ways to prepare chicken. You could go a month and never eat the same chicken dish twice. And chicken isn't the only healthy lean meat, either.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that healthy food must be plain and not taste good, lol. It's not true. You just have to learn how to make it taste good. Then, you get to eat foods you love AND eat healthy ones. And that is a wonderful thing! :)

Getting out of that trap was my gamechanger :star:
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    It would be so much easier for me to eat the same things every single day for at least 1 week so that I don't have to spare the moment find something clean to eat.any simple few ingredient ideas that I could purchase weekly for 40 or less dollars and have already prepared for that week?? Please help..I don't have much time to meal prep but I do want to get the necessary nutrients to stay healthy and lose weight.something that simple modifications could maintain weight in the future as well.

I find something that works well for me I can eat it daily for years and have been that way for years.

For months now eat at the local Huddle House daily between 3-5 pm unless I am out of town. If I get into the parking lot and staff see me my coffee and ice water will be at my table and even my 5 fried eggs and 6 pieces of bacon of I get to talking to someone in the parking lot. :)

I seldom trade cars, lived at the same place 30 years, had the same wife for 35 years, etc so eating the same thing for breakfast and dinner works well for me.

• lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    lucys1225 wrote: »

My sister in law keeps asking me to make one too. When my daughter was eating solids (she's almost 8 now), I would make and freeze her baby food. After doing that maybe two weekends, I realized that I should apply the same thing to me. I started by making things like habichuelas rosadas and separating them into two portions, or four portion casseroles for me and my ex husband to eat. I would cook things like instant brown rice to accompany my beans when I had them for dinner.

After a few months, I started freezer cooking and making things in muffin tins, sauces, one pot meals, burgers, burritos, breakfast sandwiches, empanadas, wontons, egg rolls, calzones, pizzas, frozen fries, nuggets, meatballs, and even cooked portions of rice, pasta, chicken, or steak.

Every single one of those recipes was PACKED with vegetables right into them and was made healthier.

The years I spent as a single mom with a demanding job, taking care of all house responsibilities, yardwork, carting my child around to her many activities were really rough, so I made sure that I used my time the best way I could.

That's great! I've been doing this for my breakfast and lunches for awhile now and, since my son and husband eat very differently than me, I just started doing it for my dinners. Makes dinner time much less chaotic!
  • BlossomStrikesAgain
    Options
    If you get paid monthly or have a little money to spare to start, would you be able to prep a few different things to start off with, so you have some variety?

I've just moved house, and on my first weekend I made four different meals, each 4-5 portions. So now I have four veg-packed options to choose from, and I can build on that each weekend. I'm not money-poor though, just time-poor! A short shift is 10 hours, and by the time I finish work I'd rather stick pins in myself than cook a meal from scratch, so if I don't have healthy options in the freezer I know I'll eat crap - it's part of how I got fat. I need to have enough options that when I'm doing a 12-day run at work I don't have to prepare anything and I still have choices at the end of the run.

I cope fine with having the same breakfast and/or lunch every day, but I would get bored very very quickly eating the same dinner. I generally make a couple of lunches at a time - I find salad gets a bit sad if it's chopped more than about two days in advance - but that's usually done and sorted in the time it takes my dinner to heat through.

I don't eat "clean" though - breakfast, especially, can be anything quick to eat, low-cal, and preferably high protein but I'm less worried about that one in the mornings - I just wouldn't get my 5 a day in without some homemade meals. So YMMV on that, too.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm a variety girl. But I know people exist who like the same thing day in and day out. As long as you get a variety every day you should be fine.

Eggs are great; high in protein, lots of fat soluble vitamins, and compact. You can hard boil a full dozen at a time and eat them through the week.

The same thing with chicken breasts. Cook up a whole bunch at once and freeze them. You might want to cut them up and preseason the way Costco does, and then you can put them in a wrap with ranch dressing, or put them on a salad.

For salad, try making up a bunch of mason jar salads. The jars help keep them fresher longer. You should be able to make at least four at a time.

Apples are terrifically portable, and great with peanut butter.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    The rubbermaid three ounce take-alongs are great. I can fill them with peanut butter, cottage cheese, yogurt, or hummus. Crackers too, as go-with.
  • janiep81
    janiep81 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I think its different for everyone. I am a lover of variety in all things, but that also makes me feel a little crazy sometimes. When I'm really focused on losing weight, eating the same thing frequently really helps. I try to make it something really balanced, like brown rice/quinoa, grilled salmon, and broccoli... Another poster mentioned refrigerator oatmeal. I do that, too, almost every day and I love it!
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I eat the same things everyday for a week. It doesn't bother me but many people who know about my food prepping habits are horrified by the idea of eating the same lunch, even, 5 days in row. I do change it up based on seasonal/sale ingredients but I also have my common favorite foods (oatmeal, chicken, eggs, Greek yogurt and fruit, etc.) It works great for me, makes planning and prepping very easy. I've lost and kept off 30 pounds.
  • kazminchu
    kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    I don't understand how people can eat the same thing every single day. like sheep in a pasture. Maybe it is due to a lack of creativity in the kitchen, but that type of monotony would drive me crazy.

Eating like this can also restrict nutritional variation in a diet or lead to a build up of contaminants or an overdose of certain vitamins and minerals depending on the foods you consume, e.g. liver, brazil nuts, canned tuna, etc.
    8 months of the year I will have tuna salad for lunch every work day.

Yikes! Congrats on your Mercury contamination goals of 2015!

Or, I'm perfectly happy to eat the same things all the time, so why should I force myself to eat something else that I don't enjoy as much for the sake of "creativity"?
    I eat a perfectly balanced diet, I'm not deficient in anything that I know of, and I've lost 90lbs. I think I'm doing okay to be honest.
    Oh, and I'll let you know how the mercury goes. ;)
  • kazminchu
    Options

Damnit, I thought something was off! Can I blame it on it being Friday?
    I do one pot things too and freeze them, love having easy quick things to fall back on when I'm feeling lazy.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    @sixxpoint and @kazminchu I looked up the mercury levels of fish and even a frequent diner has little to worry about...unless they are eating Swordfish or Tilefish out of the Gulf of Mexico.

http://www.fda.gov/food/foodborneillnesscontaminants/metals/ucm115644.htm
  • kazminchu
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    @sixxpoint and @kazminchu I looked up the mercury levels of fish and even a frequent diner has little to worry about...unless they are eating Swordfish or Tilefish out of the Gulf of Mexico.

Thanks! To be honest I was completely unphased anyway, I've eaten tuna for years and nothing bad has happened to me. I trust my shops!
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options

Possibly. I admit not knowing much on the topic, but every single piece of scientific research I've read reported significant differences in mercury levels from those who eat canned tuna regularly vs. those who do not. I imagine the amount of mercury is minimal, but over time it can build up. I'd rather err on the side of caution than eat canned tuna everyday and have a failed organ at age 50 and wonder why.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I don't understand how people can eat the same thing every single day. like sheep in a pasture. Maybe it is due to a lack of creativity in the kitchen, but that type of monotony would drive me crazy.

Eating like this can also restrict nutritional variation in a diet or lead to a build up of contaminants or an overdose of certain vitamins and minerals depending on the foods you consume, e.g. liver, brazil nuts, canned tuna, etc.
    8 months of the year I will have tuna salad for lunch every work day.

Yikes! Congrats on your Mercury contamination goals of 2015!

Or, I'm perfectly happy to eat the same things all the time, so why should I force myself to eat something else that I don't enjoy as much for the sake of "creativity"?
    I eat a perfectly balanced diet, I'm not deficient in anything that I know of, and I've lost 90lbs. I think I'm doing okay to be honest.

Congratulations on the weight loss! That amount is huge! However, I would not credit it toward eating the same foods every single day. It's strictly a calories in, calories out concept.

On the topic of forcing yourself to eating something else that you don't enjoy... I'm not sure what you mean. There are thousands of foods and food combinations. Limiting yourself to the same breakfast, lunch, and dinner every single day is obviously a lack creativity or lack of knowledge issue. That's fine. I was like that at one point, too. My whole point was for other folks to realize the beauty in food possibilities. You don't have to eat the same thing every single day to lose weight. There is an entire beautiful world of food out there... you just have to know how to harness it!

Feel free to ask anything here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10163772/i-am-a-chef-who-is-into-nutrition-and-fitness-ask-me-anything
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

Possibly. I admit not knowing much on the topic, but every single piece of scientific research I've read reported significant differences in mercury levels from those who eat canned tuna regularly vs. those who do not. I imagine the amount of mercury is minimal, but over time it can build up. I'd rather err on the side of caution than eat canned tuna everyday and have a failed organ at age 50 and wonder why.

Albacore has a lot more mercury than regular. Even kids can safely eat up 12 ounces (about 2.5 cans) of light tuna in a can. Albacore (because they're bigger, they have more mercury) is about half that. Albacore is like 6oz. I don't know about tuna steak because I don't like it much and don't remember what kind of tuna it is (if my life depended on it, I'd guess albacore, but I dunno.)
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I tend to make one or two types of stew/soup/chili and one salad dressing each week and use them throughout the week (salad for lunch, stew for dinner), but I make something different each week so it isn't as dull. I often spice my stews at the table so they don't necessarily have to taste exactly the same each time.

I used to make a little extra each week and freeze it, so I would have a variety of frozen foods to choose from, but I found everything was getting freezer burn so now I try not to freeze anything for more than a week or two.