Tips for going out.....

Options
Few weeks in to my healthy start... I'm terrified every time the weekend comes! Parties, get togethers, etc.... The urge to eat everything presented is ridiculous, especially when everyone else seems to be enjoying it all (and when it smells/looks delicious). The folks I hang around don't prefer the "healthy" stuff usually so I guess I'll be bringing my own snacks....

The struggle. The commitment. The cravings. Any solutions?

Replies

• train_01
    train_01 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. My daughter's birthday party is this weekend and that means cake, ice cream and bunches of other crap. We also had a food day at work today and goodness that was tempting. My advice and what I really try to do is plan ahead what I'm going to eat (as much as I can) and take tiny portions of things. I will probably add more exercise than usual tonight to "make up" for some of the cals tomorrow. I don't worry too much about daily counts, but rather that I'm staying below my weekly count. Hope it helps :)
  • LaVidaDeNiki
    LaVidaDeNiki Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    train_01 wrote: »
    I know the feeling. My daughter's birthday party is this weekend and that means cake, ice cream and bunches of other crap. We also had a food day at work today and goodness that was tempting. My advice and what I really try to do is plan ahead what I'm going to eat (as much as I can) and take tiny portions of things. I will probably add more exercise than usual tonight to "make up" for some of the cals tomorrow. I don't worry too much about daily counts, but rather that I'm staying below my weekly count. Hope it helps :)

Thanks! Yeah, I'm guessing I just have to stock up on healthy snacks everywhere I go! I would hate not to be prepared and binge
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    If I know something is going down later in the day, or even later in the week I just try to plan around it. Eat a bit less during the week or work out a bit more each day to carve out some extra room for the weekend.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    If I know something is going down later in the day, or even later in the week I just try to plan around it. Eat a bit less during the week or work out a bit more each day to carve out some extra room for the weekend.

This right here! I've actually had time spans where I've gone 5:2 and built my weekly deficit into my weekdays so I could splurge at maintenance on the weekends.
  • adamvikings4life
    adamvikings4life Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I would use the weekend to have my cheat meal or snacks. Everyone needs a cheat meal or else they will hold out till there breaking point and binge like crazy. Stay strong, eat healthy and workout like a maniac, B) . You'll be fine. I go to Golds gym in Fullerton, O.C, Ca and I have found that the right gym motivates me better then a crappie gym, aka planet fitness haha. Good luck....hope this helps
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    I would use the weekend to have my cheat meal or snacks. Everyone needs a cheat meal or else they will hold out till there breaking point and binge like crazy. Stay strong, eat healthy and workout like a maniac, B) . You'll be fine. I go to Golds gym in Fullerton, O.C, Ca and I have found that the right gym motivates me better then a crappie gym, aka planet fitness haha. Good luck....hope this helps

Cheat meal...that's when you hack the laws of physics so your calorie excess doesn't lead to weight loss, right?

OP - your body doesn't recognize when food is part of a cheat meal or part of your normal eating habits. It doesn't disregard calorie intake just because you feel like eating some fried food and drinking some alchohol.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If it's potluck, bring something healthy that you like.

The resisting temptation thing gets easier as you go. It really does. :)
  • petitehealth
    petitehealth Posts: 148 Member
    Options

I agree with this. I try to get a big workout in early and eat conservatively before/after the event. If you bring a healthy dish to share and make mindful decisions while you enjoy yourself, you can avoid having it ruin your week's process. I agree it's a challenge! Hang in there!