I'm recently, dairy, grain, gluten, sugar free...need help with creative meals

Options
Hi I have Hashimoto's disease and I would like to try to heal my autoimmune condition. I am on week 3 of quitting sugar, grains, nuts, dairy, egg and gluten because of gastro intolerances. Basically I am a foodie and i am struggling to eat salads with lean protein every day. Running out of ideas. I would live to have a buddy/ies to learn and journey with and some new ideas. I miss my breakfasts!

Replies

• morning_joy
    morning_joy Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I love fresh made salsa. I love it on everything. I whip it up once a week in my cuisinart. Tomatillos, garlic, cilantro, tomatoes, and roasted peppers. Yummy.

I also adore spaghetti squash with any kind of fresh veggie sauce.
  • lejoie
    lejoie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi! I avoid gluten and sugar, too... so I feel your pain.

We make tacos all the time in lettuce cups! Add red onion, avocado, cilantro - maybe forego the salsa for now. If you're dealing with autoimmune problems, it's probably best to avoid nightshades as they are known to cause inflammation. However if your doctor gave you the green light on tomatoes, salsa is always fun to add!

We also make a lot of yummy soups. Broths, chicken soups, vegetable soups. Those are usually pretty satisfying and always yummy.

As far as snacks go, there are also some yummy seed-based granola recipes out there sweetened with a pinch of honey and spiced with cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. SO YUMMY!
  • lejoie
    lejoie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    In addition:

- having premade sauces on hand always helps. my husband makes a delicious and basic chimichuri sauce that we add to everything
    - we make mussels as a cheap week night dinner when we are lacking inspiration
    - the slow cooker is my best friend! pulled pork, roasted chicken with veggies, you name it.
    - plant based protein shakes in coconut milk are a nice snack if you decide to have a simple lunch and want something yummy on the side
    - wilt arugula, spinach or kale as a side or topping with your meals and proteins. it adds a lot of flavor and you get all the extra nutrients from the greens.
  • raymax4
    raymax4 Posts: 6,070 Member
    Options
    look up http://www.wheatfreemeatfree.com there are a lot of the recipes you can eat. I really like the mujadara lentils and rice
  • raymax4
    raymax4 Posts: 6,070 Member
    Options
    raymax4 wrote: »
    look up http://www.wheatfreemeatfree.com there are a lot of the recipes you can eat. I really like the mujadara lentils and rice
    just leave out the rice

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    dkuch1969 wrote: »
    I have Hashimoto's disease and I would like to try to heal my autoimmune condition. I am on week 3 of quitting sugar, grains, nuts, dairy, egg and gluten because of gastro intolerances.

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease), too. Your body is attacking your thyroid gland, and in response it makes too many thyroid hormones or (more often) not enough. The only treatment is medication. (If the swings get too extreme, you might need surgery or radiation to destroy your thyroid—but that's rare.)

Cut out all those foods if you're allergic to them, but please don't expect to "heal" your Hashi's. Your endocrinologist should be testing your levels regularly and adjusting your meds accordingly. Take your meds—just as a person with Type 1 diabetes needs to take insulin.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hypothyroidism/expert-answers/hypothyroidism-diet/faq-20058554
    Although claims about hypothyroidism diets abound, there's no evidence that eating or avoiding certain foods will improve thyroid function in people with hypothyroidism.
  • GemmaGx
    GemmaGx Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am finding this thread interesting . My husband has Graves disease and has been on medication for a few years. I am assuming they are very different as he has never been told about changing his diet. He is about to undergo his radiation treatment soon. We are in the UK so maybe advice is different. I hope you can find some tasty recipes to enjoy x
  • mjaninec
    mjaninec Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    dkuch1969 wrote: »
    Hi I have Hashimoto's disease and I would like to try to heal my autoimmune condition. I am on week 3 of quitting sugar, grains, nuts, dairy, egg and gluten because of gastro intolerances. Basically I am a foodie and i am struggling to eat salads with lean protein every day. Running out of ideas. I would live to have a buddy/ies to learn and journey with and some new ideas. I miss my breakfasts!

I know your struggle all to well. Feel free to become MFP friends with me. I also have a FB page I post about my journey to health battling Hashimoto, RA and other issues. I'm waiting to get labs done but I've been symptom free for some time now and things seem to be under control by eliminating my food & environment triggers. Here is my FB page. https://www.facebook.com/makingmyhealthapriority
    Hope you stop by and Check it out.
    Wishing you well wishes & healthiness.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    While there is no objective evidence supporting a "Thyroid Diet", there is a remarkable correlation to weight loss and minimization/elimination of Hashimoto's & Hypothyroidism symptoms. It is extremely difficult if not impossible to regulate hormonal balance and be overweight.

None of this trumps review and follow-up with a trained health care provider in thyroid disorders.