Anyone else have this problem?

Options
Desk job! My job is sitting at a desk about 7-1/2 of my 8 hour work day. I absolutely hate it. I think I will go home and be active but then there's supper to cook & eat, running the kids around, household chores (which require some activity I guess). I feel like my desk job is sucking the life out of me. :neutral:

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I get about half of my exercise in before anyone else where wakes up. It's the only feasible way to do as much as I want to.
  • Chicasonamission
    Chicasonamission Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issues.....my gym is open 24/7 so I am thinking starting next week I will hit the gym at 5am or I will never make it in a day.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job. I try to get as many steps as possible in during the day -- going to another floor to fill my water bottle, talking a walk on my lunch break, taking the stairs whenever I have five floors or less, printing documents on the printer that is further from my desk, suggesting that my one-on-one meetings be walking meetings when possible. Not sure if any of these will fit your situation.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I think the majority of users here have the same "problem", I know I do. I have a full time job, kids, hubs, keeping the house together, etc but I make the time to work out. I get up at 5 am and get it in! I knew after work it just wasn't going to happen so I made it a priority to get up early, get my butt in my basement and get my workout done. It can be done but YOU have to get rid of the excuses and make it a priority.
  • Wii_Player
    Wii_Player Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Yes, that would be me also, so I workout mostly on Friday nights and weekends. How about exercising with your kids (swimming, bowling, walks in the park, biking, sports, etc.)?
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,619 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Ugh, ever since getting addicted to walking/moving, it drives me crazy when I have to stay at my desk to work.

I was in my boss' office yesterday when he had a client there and I was just standing there watching him do something or another and my leg was moving to the beat of the song on the radio. The client was all, "Are you rocking out, glassyo?" It was more the pavlov's dog response of having to move when hearing a beat. If I could dance, I probably would have gone all Footloose in there!

But yeah, I work out in the morning before going to work and then when I get home from work to make up for having to sit most of the day. I also take a mini walk around the block when taking our mail across the street to the mail box (or faking taking the mail across the street).
  • ColinsMommaOC
    ColinsMommaOC Posts: 296 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Wii_Player wrote: »
    Yes, that would be me also, so I workout mostly on Friday nights and weekends. How about exercising with your kids (swimming, bowling, walks in the park, biking, sports, etc.)?

^--- This

My play time with my son is becoming exercise time. I go for a walk/jog, and he follows next to me on his bike, or on his feet sometimes, and we talk about whatever he wants. He has even started pushing me to go faster. He will tell me I need to jog to a certain point before I can walk etc. Your kids want you to be healthy, and they want you to play with them. Win-Win

-OR-

Wake up an hour+ earlier than you have been and get your work out in then.
  • kraft_kris
    kraft_kris Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have accepted the fact that if I am going to exercise, it is going to be in the mornings. I still have to fight myself to get up in the mornings, and I don't always get up, but on the days that I do work out in the morning, i feel 159% better than when I don't.
  • apollinav
    apollinav Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I swapped out my regular office chair for a balance ball chair. Next, I'm thinking about getting a little under-desk pedal exerciser.

If I'm going to be sitting all day, I might as well get some activity in, right?
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Nope.

You're the only one in this whole great big world with that problem.

• soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I have to get up and walk around a little every hour or so at work. Then I head to the gym right after work. On the weekends I have no excuse.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I ride my bike for about 90% of the things I do in my 5 mile radius. It is good "free" exercise. I am sad today because I need to get my gears tuned up so no bike rides for me. :(
  • Wii_Player
    Wii_Player Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    apollinav wrote: »
    I swapped out my regular office chair for a balance ball chair. Next, I'm thinking about getting a little under-desk pedal exerciser.

If I'm going to be sitting all day, I might as well get some activity in, right?

Great idea!
  • codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I also am a morning exerciser. At work, my department likes to go for walks together on our 15 minute breaks twice a day. And anytime someone suggests they'll come get papers from me, I tell them I'll bring it to them because I need to get my steps in. Eventually, they just say "I can come get it, unless you want more steps", which makes me laugh.
  • calihoya
    calihoya Posts: 80 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    How about your lunch, can you use that time to squeeze some exercise in? That's what I do. Otherwise mornings are a great option. Maybe a class if you need to get motivated to get up earlier.
  • Edjeep
    Edjeep Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job. Have for almost 20 years; it just got more and more desk bound as time went on. Recently, my employer has made "vari-desks" (google it) available to those of us who predominately sit all day. They transition from sit to stand in about 3 seconds. At first I thought my job (accounting) would not transition well to partial day standing, but I now find myself able to stand 30-30% of the actual work day. This was perfect timing for me, as we started looking at them right as I made other changes (eat less, move more..) I can't say how much of my 45 lbs loss so far can be attributed to just standing some during the day, because honestly it is just one of many many things, but I am sure it has made a difference and I feel much better for having done it. Again, my back feels better too, but many factors to that as well.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Get up and move during breaks. Run stairs, do squats or just walk the perimeter a lot.
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    apollinav wrote: »
    I swapped out my regular office chair for a balance ball chair.

I wish my company would let me do this. Last girl that brought one up here got wrote up and sent home for three days. :( Party poopers.

My coworkers and I walk on breaks though. It's not much but adds up to 30 to 40 mins a day.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,972 Member
    Options
    Desk job! My job is sitting at a desk about 7-1/2 of my 8 hour work day. I absolutely hate it. I think I will go home and be active but then there's supper to cook & eat, running the kids around, household chores (which require some activity I guess). I feel like my desk job is sucking the life out of me. :neutral:

-- walk or cycle as your commute
    -- go for a brisk walk at lunch
    -- have you got stairs at work ... climb them. Get up once and hour and go climb the stairs.
    -- even if you don't have stairs ... get up once an hour and do several laps around the office. Most offices require that you do that anyway
    -- get a standing desk
    -- get a balance ball
    -- bundle up the kids and take them for walks or bicycle rides or to the park to play. And when you're at the park, don't sit ... get up and play with the kids
    -- if they play sports, don't sit in the bleachers to watch ... pace, walk up and down steps, jog around the field
    -- park at the far end of the parking lot when you're getting groceries so you have to walk further
    -- park in a central location if you're stopping in at several shopping places and walk everywhere you need to go
    -- got steps at home? Rather than doing the thing where you put the stuff you've got to take upstairs on the step until you've got quite a collection of there, take things up one at a time
    -- get a trainer ... a device which attaches to the rear wheel of your bicycle so that you can ride it without going anywhere ... put it in the room where the kids play and ride while they play

• rseymour9298
    rseymour9298 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the great suggestions! I will definitely be putting some into practice. And to the couple with "wise *kitten*" remarks... nothing better to do? Anyway, mostly thank you for responding!