Gastric bands?? A lazy way out or good choice? x

Options
Thoughts people on gastric bands? ............ I would never have one but want to hear your views x

Replies

• bellarox13
    bellarox13 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I think unless medically necessary, alot of people think they are an easy way out but from what I have heard, it isn't easy. I would much rather do it through healthy eating and exercise.
  • Sarah_uk
    Sarah_uk Posts: 209
    Options
    I think it's great if you've been struggling with your weight for a long time and have a problem controlling portions.

I don't think it's lazy, but it's only a way to aid weight loss if you really want to. You can also regain the lost weight. Google it, it does happen.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a lazy way out because you still have to do the work and be diligent about eating correctly. It's a tool to be used in extreme cases, imo. I went to Mexico with my mom when she got one and I kinda think she regrets getting it because she lost some weight initially but eventually fell back into her old eating habits and gained quite a bit of it back. She's left with heartburn problems, can't eat many foods, and a sense of failure for not being able to keep the weight off but having spent a lot of money.
  • xxquzme
    xxquzme Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I think that it can be a tool for many that needs the help. I dont believe that everyone that gets it done actually needs it, but for some it is just the push that they need to get their life back on track. It is still a struggle for those with the procedure to stay focused or it will all be for nothing.
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I don't think Gastric Bands help you to address why you may over eat. I don't think you get the discipline needed when you diet and exercise. You give up enough when you diet, I can't imagine giving up more with the band. I think that is why people fail on it, they get in a mind set that they don't have to do anything to lose weight. I wouldn't do it.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    I've seen people get the surgery and gain the weight back. It's a shame but true. I think the best way is to form a new life style and eating habits.
  • SarahJaneDeschamp
    SarahJaneDeschamp Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I don't think its a lazy way out, i think it depends on peoples circumstances, i was recently offered one for health reasons, but am not going ahead with it because of the risks involved, its a tool to aid you with weight loss, and with you for the rest of your life, its not a quick fix
  • waster196
    waster196 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I don't think Gastric Bands help you to address why you may over eat. I don't think you get the discipline needed when you diet and exercise. You give up enough when you diet, I can't imagine giving up more with the band. I think that is why people fail on it, they get in a mind set that they don't have to do anything to lose weight. I wouldn't do it.

I agree! I think the trouble is that by having a gastric band or any other kind of surgery, people are missing out on learning the important lessons which will help to keep you healthy for the rest of your life. I also think the fact that they're readily available to anyone who can afford it (or not in the UK, with our NHS) gives people the wrong message about their weight in the first place; it says, "it doesn't matter if you over eat and become obese, we can fix it with an operation!".

100% last resort territory for me.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i personally think if you really NEED it then its obviously a good choice. but if you dont you should just get your but out there and do some exercise.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I think unless medically necessary, alot of people think they are an easy way out but from what I have heard, it isn't easy. I would much rather do it through healthy eating and exercise.

+1 and totally agree. Yes, there are people who need it for medical assistance but I also feel that people should treat healthy eating and basic exercise as a lifestyle choice and not something that will cause them denial of pleasure!
  • megruder
    megruder Posts: 216
    Options
    I work in a hospital and once one of the surgeons started doing gastric band and bypass procedures, MANY employees started getting them. I've personally seen a WIDE range of results. For some, it has been life changing and they really changed their lifestyles. One, in particular, was given 2 years to live due to weight-induced health problems (she was only 42), had the bypass, lost 300 lbs and is extremely healthy now and looks great. One person ate smaller portions of crap food and lost but looked horrible, this person eventually switch to a healthy diet and looks great. For some, they lose a bunch of weight but haven't really changed anything and gained it all back and sometimes more. However, these are not minor procedures and one individual had some major complications almost died, ended up in on life support in intensive care for three weeks and on our long-term care unit for several months. This individual is doing well now and has lost some weight, but not nearly what they had hoped.

All of these people were personal friends, so I have strong feelings regarding these procedures. If someone has given healthy eating and exercise a real, honest-to-goodness try and is still having trouble or if their life is in jeopardy and they are willing to make those changes then there is a place for these procedures. But if someone cannot maintain portion control or healthy eating habits then the money may be best spent on trying to determine why those habits cannot be maintained. It is important to remember this is a major medical procedure.

Edit: Most of those that gained, wished they hadn't done it. A couple that changed their lifestyles and maintain, would do it again but wished that had been able to do it without the procedure.
  • Scentlessapprentice
    Scentlessapprentice Posts: 170 Member
    Options

I agree! I think the trouble is that by having a gastric band or any other kind of surgery, people are missing out on learning the important lessons which will help to keep you healthy for the rest of your life. I also think the fact that they're readily available to anyone who can afford it (or not in the UK, with our NHS) gives people the wrong message about their weight in the first place; it says, "it doesn't matter if you over eat and become obese, we can fix it with an operation!".

100% last resort territory for me.

Absolutely this^^^^
  • laurie1984uk
    Options
    great views people xxxx
  • fcrisswell
    fcrisswell Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    It is nice to see so much support on this site. As someone who had gastric bypass 4 1/2 years ago I sometimes feel like others think I "cheated".

Any weightloss surgery is a very personal and risky choice. I was nearly 400 pounds. Had been overweight my entire life. I had reached the point of feeling like I was slowly dieing. I chose to risk my life in order to live my life.

You have to change your lifestyle in order to succeed. It is in no way a quick fix and you can fail if you do not change your habits. Surgery was a tool for me to make that leap of change.
  • megruder
    megruder Posts: 216
    Options
    It is nice to see so much support on this site. As someone who had gastric bypass 4 1/2 years ago I sometimes feel like others think I "cheated".

Any weightloss surgery is a very personal and risky choice. I was nearly 400 pounds. Had been overweight my entire life. I had reached the point of feeling like I was slowly dieing. I chose to risk my life in order to live my life.

You have to change your lifestyle in order to succeed. It is in no way a quick fix and you can fail if you do not change your habits. Surgery was a tool for me to make that leap of change.

I'm so glad that gastric bypass worked for you! Congratulations on weight loss.
  • tammykoon
    tammykoon Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have thought about by-pass and the lap band many times, dreamed about would be more accurate. It's not an easy solution. The social aspect is overwhelming. If you think it's hard to go to a public function when you are dieting imagine what it would be like if you only consume food a spoon at a time. It is life altering. I have had friends that have divorced because they couldn't handle the change this brought into their lives. Being skinny doesn't make you happy and any void you were trying to fill with food will still be there when the weight is gone. I support any one who has made the choice to have this done. I am trying one more time to lose this weight before I have to make that call myself.
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I've learned a lot by reading the experiences of others on this site. I had some pretty strong opinions about gastric bypass and the lap band.

Here's what I've come to understand. For a lot of people, excess weight and self-abuse are manifestations of very old events in the past. Sometimes weight-related issues (compulsive overeating, obesity, anorexia, bulemia, etc.) have little or nothing to do with simply "eating right" and exercising.

For those who carry the burden of a painful past with them, and continue to abuse themselves by eating too much, I fully support medical intervention. Sometimes, force is the only way. No, it doesn't address the issues surrounding the abuse, but it does address the life-threatening symptom. Seeking professional help to address the psychological issues is as important as the surgery.

MFP has definitely changed me and helped me understand the many reasons people struggle with weight.
  • steve4580
    steve4580 Posts: 32
    Options
    I have a relative that is doing this next week. I guess I don't understand the concept. After the surgery you eat a reduced calorie diet, but you can somehow still cheat (as evidenced by the people that regain their weight). How is this any different from losing weight without the surgery? It doesn't seem like it is worth the huge risk when you consider that it is not a sure thing. I am sure those that have done it and have succeeded would probably argue that it was worth the risk for them. But it still begs the question: the successful folks still had to discipline themselves to eat a reduced calorie diet, so why not do this without the surgery?
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    One of my best friends had it, and she's lost, and its been way harder than her trying to eat healthy ever was. She didn't have an eating problem, she is one of those that got dealt a bad hand. Arthritis, no thyroid, family history, and so on. It's been great for her, and she looks fantastic, and is changing her lifestyle, and loving it, but it wasn't easy at all. She was in and out of the hospital for months before things have finally started to calm down.
    I do think, however, from personal experience, I know how hard it is to adjust your mind to how you look now and so on, and when the weight comes off as fast as it does for them, it is so much harder because they look different weekly, while we, only loosing a pound or two a week have a slower change and a better opportunity to adapt to it.
  • fcrisswell
    fcrisswell Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I have a relative that is doing this next week. I guess I don't understand the concept. After the surgery you eat a reduced calorie diet, but you can somehow still cheat (as evidenced by the people that regain their weight). How is this any different from losing weight without the surgery? It doesn't seem like it is worth the huge risk when you consider that it is not a sure thing. I am sure those that have done it and have succeeded would probably argue that it was worth the risk for them. But it still begs the question: the successful folks still had to discipline themselves to eat a reduced calorie diet, so why not do this without the surgery?

Simply eating a reduced calorie diet is not that simple. When you are morbidly obese there is more to factor in than just over-eating. For me, food was an addiction, like alcohol is to an alcoholic. Difference was...you cannot just stop eating. You need to eat to live. I needed to physically be forced to eat less in order to get healthier. Others that have posted here are correct in that the underliying issue that cause someone to over eat still have to be dealt with in order to be successful. Without on-line support, monthly support meetings and regular dr visits I could very easily resort to my old ways. Like the alcolic needs AA I need those support avenues to be successful.