A little binge here and a little binge there, binge binge binge ooops 50 lbs gained

Options
Hello everyone,

I have a big problem. I have been trying to deal with my weight since 10th grade, and I can never last more than a week on any type of diet. And I go on some huge binge. I don't know how I can keep myself on track. I love veggies and fruits, but at the same time I love carbs too. I don't think moderation is even possible for someone like me. I just want something that will allow me to be happy and full, but at the same time lose weight. I just want to go from 185- 130 over the course of the year. Is this too unrealistic? how can i make this goal approachable? It's such a daunting task, and I only seem to push myself even farther from it with anything I try. How can I start and stay determined and not sway?

Thanks,
Rose

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I have found that eating vLCHF (very low carb with high healthy fats) helped eliminate my sugar and carb cravings. I don't moderate my foods well either, and one sugary thing led to another. It didn't work for me.

After eating very low carb (under 50g of carbs per day) my body is in ketosis (fat burning) and I lost my cravings... quite miraculous for me. LOL It also improved my blood glucose, arthritis and helped inmy weight loss (but I still eat in a caloric deficit). I now mostly eat meat, eggs, nuts, coconut and cream, avocado, cheese and cream, some veggies and a small amount of low GI berries. I avoid all rice, starchy veggies, grains, and anything made from flour. The first week is a bit tough but it got easy quickly after that.

It is helping me get from 185lbs down to 167 (in about 7 weeks) with a final goal of about 140lbs. I plan on eating LCHF after I hit my weight loss goal too (for health reasons and because I enjoy it).

If it interests you, look into LCHF (usually 100g of carbs or lower) or ketogenic diet. I'm afraid I don't have advice on moderating sweets since I failed at that. LOL Good luck.
  • ashleypetrie4
    ashleypetrie4 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    If you have that much trouble sticking to a calorie deficit and healthy lifestyle change without binge eating, I suggest talking to your doctor about seeing a dietician and perhaps even a therapist for the binging (if it's emotional). They might be able to help you work through some issues so you feel strong enough to stick to eating in a healthy manner.
  • greaseisstilltheword
    Options
    I am also currently doing the LCHF diet - to lose weight but also due to a medical diagnosis. Down 5 lbs in 2 weeks (a lot of which is water weight I know but, hey, after months of plateauing I'll take what I can get!). I have huge sweet tooth & LOVE carbs. When the doctor explained the diet I was like heck no! But if you tough it out it's totally doable! I'm rarely hungry, have the energy to work out daily, and the carb dreams have (almost!) stopped! Even though I can eat as much protein & fat as I want, I rarely go over 1300 calories because I'm just not hungry. It's really shown me that "snacking" is a habit, not a need, & that bingeing on carbs/sweets leads to more bingeing. If I have to have something sweet I opt for pure dark chocolate - two squares is all it takes. Give it a try...just push through those few tough days & you WILL see results. Good luck!
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    mcr96 wrote: »

I just want something that will allow me to be happy and full, but at the same time lose weight.

And I want to just be happy and blow all my money on Fun Stuff ... and accumulate Vast Riches at the same time, too ... right?

Hint: competing goals = setting priorities.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You either have to eat less or cut stuff out. You have to find some way of not eating too much if you want to lose weight.

Well, I suppose you could try to exercise it all off. I don't how much you eat, but for some people, it would be hard to do.

If you cannot eliminate foods because of the binging and you cannot moderate your intake because of the lack of control. That leaves exercise. I suggest running and lots of swimming, as they burn the most calories.

You might want to consider seeing a therapist who specializes in eating disorders. Not suggesting you have one! But they might be able to help you find a way of eating that works for you.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I've gone from 220 to 145 in 14 months (though I still have 20 pounds to go). I have Fancy Tea every month. There are no forbidden foods. I just had a tall whole milk raspberry latte for my late afternoon dessert/snack. You can do it, even if they seem like competing goals.

I did it by starting slowly. My first step was simply to actually log everything I ate. I found out that not only were my portion sizes out of control, I was making calorie dense choices that didn't have an adequate nutrition payoff.

As I progressed, I made changes and choices. I incorporate more produce into my diet, and limit breads/grains/cereals. Not because I am worried about carbs, but because for the most part, the bread isn't worth the extra 150 calories per serving. Your mileage may vary.

But - I know how many calories are in a Panera chocolate pastry, and in an Andersen Bread honey-walnut brioche with cream cheese. On days when I have limited my calories by making low calorie, nutrient dense choices, I sometimes have a chocolate pastry or a walnut brioche.

It's all about balance. The world won't end if you exceed the calorie goal on any given day, but healthy foods can be tasty and filling. You need to find what works for you.

You can do it.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I would start with little goals. How bout you try this for a month and see where you are? Rinse, repeat.
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    mcr96 wrote: »

I just want something that will allow me to be happy and full, but at the same time lose weight.

And I want to just be happy and blow all my money on Fun Stuff ... and accumulate Vast Riches at the same time, too ... right?

Hint: competing goals = setting priorities.

Miserable advice. With some proper planning you can easily lose weight and feel full and energetic with plant-based meals high in fiber, vitamins and protein. Why comment at all if you're going to be sarcastic and negative.
  • julez40
    julez40 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You're in a cycle. You're binging because when you're dieting, you're restricting food & you feel deprived.....which then leads to binge eating & feeling out of control. This is why you dont/cant stick to a diet. You are trying to lose weight, but you're NOT addressing the real issue. The real issue here is your coping with your emotions through eating. Find a therapist/doctor/clinic that specializes in eating disorders. I know you probably dont want to hear this, but you have to tackle the underlying problem before you can even think about losing weight.
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    Options
    for me, i have gone low carb, higher protein and fats. I rarely get hungry. I have generally cut out pasta and bread for most meals so that most of my carbs are vegetable carbs (unless you looked at today's diary, LOL!).
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options

I'd be lying to say this is how it works.
    MFP recommends 1 pound of weight loss per week.
    Even this required oodles of discipline and many times I failed. It was simple but hard. That's life, but it's so worth it. I lost 100 pounds and have kept off the weight going on 3 years now.

Here are some good links on this site about how to get started, but prepare yourself for some uncomfortable moments. If this were easy, nobody would ever stay fat. Again, it has been worth every moment of pain.
    Getting Started:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177907/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest