Too many carbs?

Options
Hey all,
I have no problem keeping my calories down, but it seems my carbs are always too high. I know carbs convert into sugar. How can I help this? I'm eating quite healthy but still the carbs are often about 30-40 grams above the recommended. Even greens have tons of carbs. Any advice?

I'm also a vegan!

Replies

• ccaym
    ccaym Posts: 86
    Options
    I have the same problem. Looking forward to hearing what others have to say.
  • louisville327
    Options
    Vegan diets are naturally carb-heavy, and the number of foods with high protein and fat but low carbs are limited, unlike meat and dairy diets.

Have you tried isolated soy protein powder to supplement your diet? Also, low sugar peanut butter is an excellent source of fat, protein and calories in general that has low carbs.
  • monicanicoletta
    monicanicoletta Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same issue and it ISNT easy trust me. But my trainer boyfriend gave me some advice as I am trying to stay under 100-115 carbs a day.

First he have the majority of them in the morning & then some at lunch & very light int he afternoon but i try to have no carbs past 3 at least not a big amount.

I've found that protein powders are an excellent way to get good cals/protein in w/o the carbs. I also snack on things such as chobani greek yogurt that doesnt have a lot of carbs but a lot a of protein. I try to have fish/chicken/salads for both lunch & dinner but if i have a piece of bread for a sandwich or some rice that incorporates it too.

For breakfast is where i try to the majority of my carbs..aka toast w/my eggs or cereal. that way i get most of my carbs/sugar in the morning then eat well later on. i also have some carbs riught around 4pm usually in the form of fruit or a protein bar befor ei work out after work cuz carbs right before a workout is impt

hope this helps :)
  • jimmie25
    jimmie25 Posts: 266
    Options
    skip pasta, rice and potatoes. as a vegan that can be difficult but that's what's helped me. i haven't eaten pasta, rice or potatoes in 6 months and my carb levels are good.
  • mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I used to vegetarian, for 10 years. (I am now pretty opposite of that, low carb, I eat a lot of animal protein although it's organic and grass fed whenever possible.)

You are sort of screwed, if you chose to be vegan then you have to understand that you're going to be high on carbs unless you starve yourself. You have to pick veganism or low carb, in my opinion. There is a low carb version of Atkins for vegans but after reading it I think it's bs and just marketing to make you believe you can be both so they can sell everyone more Atkins stuff. He never would have said you can do Atkins and be vegan. Also, the first phases are not possible on a vegan diet, he tells vegans to skip to phase 3 or 4, if I recall correctly.
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    This is something I'm still working on perfecting but one thing you could do is try to ensure that if you must eat carbs make sure they are brown ones as they are a little better than white carbs. Also I reduced my intake by halving my carbs each time I had them so an open top bagel, half a pitta bread instead of a whole one. Just ttry to reduce them a little at a time so you don't notice it too much
  • tammyr76
    tammyr76 Posts: 174
    Options
    I take Carb Blockers I purchased at my local pharmacy,,I still make good healthy choices but you can;t avoid carbs so I take the blockers so the extra does'nt turn to sugar and stick...
  • Bengree
    Bengree Posts: 12
    Options
    I think every one is in that boat, only last week I polished off about 6 or 7 cups of pasta in one meal.
    I have been looking for substitutes for a while. I have found food like Shirataki Noodles, that are made from a Chinese yam and mixed with soya bean, which means it mostly protein and fiber, very little carbs:

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/products/p/shiratakinoodle.htm

I also found some Italian bread that is low in carbs:

http://www.avidlite.co.uk/acatalog/BREAD.html?gclid=CJrxlcWW7KgCFQEY4QodA3BLCA

Other then that I can't help, but Google comes up with alot of results.
    One recipie was to do a sauce like you would for a spaghetti bolognese, but leave the pasta out and cut some carrots length ways so their like noodles or spaghetti and part boil them, if you get them just right you could fool yourself thinking it's pasta. Same with cabbage imitating tagliatelle.
  • capogirl728
    capogirl728 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I totally don't eat much rice and i do not eat any bread or pasta. My carbs are coming from nuts, veggies and fruits. i eat oatmeal for breakfast with flax.

My food for today. I'm below on calories but -14 on carbs. Below on fat too.

Breakfast
    Cherries - Sweet, raw, 1 cup, with pits, yields
    Trader Joe's - Organic Oats & Flax Instant Oatmeal, 2 packet

Lunch
    Amy's - Bean & Rice Burrito - Non Dairy, 6 oz (170g)

Dinner
    Trader Joe's (Mixed Salad) - Les Salades Du Midi Spring Mix, 1 container (6.8 cups (85 g) ea.)
    Trader Joe's - Steamed Lentils, 1/2 cup
    Trader Joe's - Veggie Sticks Potato Snacks, 12.5 sticks
    Zico - Pure Premium Coconut Water, 8 oz

Snacks
    Blueberries - Raw, 1 cup
    Natures Promise - Organic Unsalted Mixed Nuts
  • capogirl728
    Options
    I've also been a vegetarian since i was 10 and im about to be 27 and a vegan since I was 14.
  • capogirl728
    Options
    Oh one more thing! Be careful with soy. I've read a lot that unless it's fermented it's actually quite bad for you. makes u retain water and weight.
  • louisville327
    Options
    Reconsider your fruits. Cherries, for instance, have around 19g of carbs per serving. Blueberries have 21g of carbs. Both of these are high in fiber (which is good) but also high in sugar (which is not as good).

Instead of blueberries, try blackberries. They have about the same amount of fiber as blueberries, but less sugar. One serving is just 14g of carbs. Instead of cherries, eat raw cranberries (or dried without added sugar). Cranberries have way more fiber than cherries but way less sugar, and just 13g of carbs.

Those two simple changes save you 13g of carbs, a lot of sugar, and increase your fiber intake.

And don't fear peanuts or peanut butter. They're high in protein and unsaturated fats and very low in carbs. They're a great alternative source of protein than soy.
    I totally don't eat much rice and i do not eat any bread or pasta. My carbs are coming from nuts, veggies and fruits. i eat oatmeal for breakfast with flax.

Breakfast

Lunch

Dinner
    Trader Joe's (Mixed Salad) - Les Salades Du Midi Spring Mix, 1 container (6.8 cups (85 g) ea.)

Snacks
    Blueberries - Raw, 1 cup
  • capogirl728
    Options
    Haha i'd rather increase my cardio than give up cherries. i'm already giving up cupcakes. lol. fruit is all i have left.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I use a vegan protein powder I buy from wholefoods pre workout in the morning. I also a a tbsp of almond butter to it. I would suggest limiting your gluten or wheat based products. Buy brown rice pasta or the quinoa pasta. I'm just starting to eat lentils a lot more because they pack a nice protein punch & they aren't too bad on carbs. Switch up your greens with other veg like broccoli. Take advantage of the summer fruits which are lower in sugar. Try to eat your heaviest meals earlier in the day. I'm ovo-lacto vegetarian and even though I still eat eggs, doing these things really helped me. I also cut out as much processed foods as possible. I make my own veggie burgers and try not to drink any juice unless I have juiced it myself.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Reconsider your fruits. Cherries, for instance, have around 19g of carbs per serving. Blueberries have 21g of carbs. Both of these are high in fiber (which is good) but also high in sugar (which is not as good).

Instead of blueberries, try blackberries. They have about the same amount of fiber as blueberries, but less sugar. One serving is just 14g of carbs. Instead of cherries, eat raw cranberries (or dried without added sugar). Cranberries have way more fiber than cherries but way less sugar, and just 13g of carbs.

Those two simple changes save you 13g of carbs, a lot of sugar, and increase your fiber intake.

And don't fear peanuts or peanut butter. They're high in protein and unsaturated fats and very low in carbs. They're a great alternative source of protein than soy.

Breakfast

Lunch

Dinner

Snacks
    Blueberries - Raw, 1 cup
    Just taking a wild guess here. but I bet the majority of your carbs for this day came from that burrito and your veggie sticks.. If you had made the rice & beans yourself or simply had rice and beans or had rice and beans in a lettuce it may help. Have your tried making kale chips? I hear from many people they are great.

This is why I try to avoid pre-made foods as much as possible. Even the good stuff in the wrong combination can give you not so great results. For me it becomes a juggling act. I review my diary and see what I could have cut out and substituted something else for. This way I know what combos of food I can have in one day.