Is it bad to run on consecutive days?

JMCade
JMCade Posts: 389 Member
I know you are supposed to have a rest day, but is that just 1 day a week? Is it a bad idea to run everyday? Are you supposed to have 1 rest day in between every run day? What is a good safe way to do this? I have ran 4 days in a row before and it didn't seem to bother me. I just don't want to put too much stress on any ligaments, tendons, or muscles.

Replies

• kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,170 Member
    i always go by "if you can do it then why the hell not!" seems to work for me
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    I run/walk almost everyday but do at least some sort of exercise everyday.

If you aren't straining yourself to the point you are sore then you aren't doing any damage and you should be fine.

The rest day is just to give your muscles time to heal (soreness the day after strenuous exercise is a sign to rest)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    How do you feel? Some people do fine running every day or almost every day.
    Others need more rest.
    Some people run every other day. It just depends on your schedule & how you feel.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Listen to your body. If you are pretty fit, there is no reason why you can't run 2 days in a row. But if your joints ache or you are really fatigued, it maybe better to take the day off. The important thing is to not ignore pain, because if you do, you may be sidelined a lot longer.

Enjoy your runs!
  • trez8181
    trez8181 Posts: 8 Member
    Many people run on consecutive days. Listen to your body...if your knees, shins, etc. are sore then take a day off and do the elliptical. If you feel fine, then I would not think it would be a problem.
  • Pete_Mann
    Pete_Mann Posts: 94
    Do what feels comfortable for you.

When I think of rest days, I think of more for muscle building not cardio. If you still feel fine after 4 days, then I'd say you are alright.
  • jrp31
    jrp31 Posts: 47 Member
    If you are running longer distances I would rest in between. You could do something with low impact, such as swimming, to get your cardio in. For shorter distances (3-4 miles or less) I think you'll be fine.
  • JMCade
    How do you feel? Some people do fine running every day or almost every day.
    Others need more rest.
    Some people run every other day. It just depends on your schedule & how you feel.
    Usually pretty good. I did take Tuesday off after my 5k on Monday though- I needed it!
    Thanks everybody for the input!
  • abcwhite10
    abcwhite10 Posts: 140 Member
    I've wondered this too. I have ran on consecutive days as well and maybe taken only one day off during the week. It hasn't bothered me yet butI wonder how long you can do that for before it causes problems and what kinds. I will run back to back days if I'm short on time because I may only go 2 miles. I figure if I can run 4 miles at one time, then two miles on back to back days should be fine.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    I've done it, but what is being alternated is the intensity/difficulty of the run.

I'll do a 3-5 mile run followed by a 1 mile jog the next day and again to the 3-5 mile run.

I always take the day off after my long runs though, I feel too beaten up to do much else.
  • Zelsawaf
    Zelsawaf Posts: 111 Member
    If it's bad, then I don't wanna be right! ;)
  • JMCade
    If it's bad, then I don't wanna be right! ;)
    haha I like that!:laugh:
  • kunmingmom
    kunmingmom Posts: 60 Member
    I agree with the listening to your body mantra! I always give myself at least 2 rest days a week because I'm a middle aged runner (47) and I've had plenty of injuries from pushing myself too hard.
    I use a foam roller to stretch my tight runner's legs and it seems to help a lot!!
  • Dcgfeller
    Dcgfeller Posts: 83
    There is definitely not a problem running on consecutive days as long as your body feels good. The training schedule I have put together for myself (with the help of some friends who are bigtime runners) over the summer in preparation for a marathon in October involves 4 days of running (3 of which are consecutive) , 1 day of cross-training, and 2 days of rest per week. On the "rest" days i plan do core workouts and upper body strength training.

Even if you do want to run every day though, there is something to be said for cross-training to give different muscle groups a workout.
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Your body needs rest days, but there is not a thing wrong with back to back days of running. I run 5 days a week, so obviously I have to run some back to back. Listen to your body though. YMMV.