Those of you who had to train yourselves to drink a lot of water ...

Options
2»

Replies

• distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    So we're all just going along with the assumption that a person has to drink "a lot" of water?

No one said "has to."
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    So we're all just going along with the assumption that a person has to drink "a lot" of water?

Nope.

If people are drinking so much they are having to pee all the time, its likely that they are drinking much more than they need - which actually can be an issue at some point (other than the peeing thing).
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

No one said "has to."

Has, needs, should, whatever. The question remains.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options

No one said "has to."

No need to split hairs.. that's what I was trying to get across - that no one said it's a requirement/necessity/something we should do.

• Orphia
    Options

No one said "has to."

No need to split hairs.. that's what I was trying to get across - that no one said it's a requirement/necessity/something we should do.

You were the one splitting hairs by nitpicking the word "has". Nevermind, it's good to know you don't think you need to drink a lot of water.

2 litres (which includes tea, coffee, alcohol, juice) is the rough amount a woman needs a day.

We had someone here yesterday drinking 3 litres plus coffee. :/
  • Spike_G
    Spike_G Posts: 149 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

2 litres (which includes tea, coffee, alcohol, juice) is the rough amount a woman needs a day.

We had someone here yesterday drinking 3 litres plus coffee. :/

That includes fluids from food too iirc?
    So around 20% of your fluid intake comes from what you eat rather than drink.

I tend just to drink when I'm thirsty which equates to around 3.5 litres a day when I'm active and around 2.5 on a lazy day.

Oh the answer is yes but not as much as my wife.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I drink between1 to 2 liters depending on my work out or what I am eating.
  • supersocks117
    supersocks117 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    Make sure you are not drinking tea.
    Tea, as you know has caffeine, a diuretic.
    It will just make it go through your body.

If you're adapted to regular caffeine intake, the diuretic effect is negligible.

I don't know the science, but I know that FOR ME, the above statement is not true. Been drinking coffee over 40 years and I've never adapted enough to not have to pee because of it. A diuretic remains a diuretic for me, no matter how long I've been drinking it.

Not true for me, either. I have been drinking one coffee a day for 4+ years, it might actually be SMALLER now than before I had my daughter because I worry about her getting caffeine. I still pee pretty soon after my coffee - but I don't pee right after plain water.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    No, I still pee more, but the days I'm dropping water weight are the worst... like having to pee 20 times during the day worst.
  • GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Depending on my physical activity I'd drink between 2 - 3.5 litres a day. And no the constant peeing never eased. I just sort of got used to it.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    There's actually no need to force down a ton of water to lose weight or to avoid dehydration. Drink when you're thirsty and remember you also get needed fluids from fruits and veggies. The "drink lots of water" to lose weight thing is a myth.
  • tiggerlove
    tiggerlove Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    No..look at it as a workout going back and forth to the bathroom
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I am directed by my medical team to be drinking water throughout the day. So I do.

When you get used to how long it takes to pass your water, you can "schedule" your breaks. If you then "schedule" your water consumption you can similarly reduce your trips to the bathroom.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options

I'm not going with that assumption. I drink when I'm thirsty and I'm fine. I have way more to do with my life than tote giant bottles of water everywhere I go and spend all my time the bathroom.
  • Orphia
    Options

I'm not going with that assumption. I drink when I'm thirsty and I'm fine. I have way more to do with my life than tote giant bottles of water everywhere I go and spend all my time the bathroom.

Excellent. :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    Over time, I found that while I still needed to pee as much (quantity), I didn't need to pee as often (frequency). However, frequency has never been a big problem for me. FWIW, a breast cancer support group I attend had a speaker about urinary incontinence or inconvenient frequency. Not only did she recommend kegels, but also recommended trying to hold the urine longer (not to the extent of actual pain or anything, but not peeing as soon as or every time you feel the urge).
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Lorleee wrote: »
    There's actually no need to force down a ton of water to lose weight or to avoid dehydration. Drink when you're thirsty and remember you also get needed fluids from fruits and veggies. The "drink lots of water" to lose weight thing is a myth.

That works if you actually feel thirsty. I often just don't until I am WAY behind. Like, muscle cramps behind.

Plus, I am supposed to drink a bit more water due to a bladder condition I have.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    When I learned on MFP that all my liquids could count towards my daily "8 glasses" I had to pee a lot less. Each 8 oz of liquid be it coffee, juice, tea, pelligrino etc gets logged then added to my little glass animation thingie in the food log and I'm always fine. Prior I was ADDING 8-8oz servings of bottled water on top of all the above liquids and spending the day grossed out, water logged, peeing, and wanting to apply Desitin to my chapped aZz.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've drunk 5-10 cups of tea everyday for many years, and it still goes straight through me. I pee every 30 minutes. I can go an hour at the very most.