NROL - Gaining Weight

Options
Hello! I have been pretty good about my way of eating over the past 3 weeks. Lost weight quickly the first week (probably water?) and now am steadily gaining! I have gone up 4 lbs from my lowest weight in this 4 week period. I have always exercised and had already been doing strength training, but last week started doing the New Rules of Lifting for Women workouts, 3x per week and run or ride my bike on my non strength training days. The NROL book definitely talks about weight loss so I feel like something good should be happening.

I don't know a ton about strength training so am trying to figure out if this weight increase is normal. How long will it last? Why does it happen? And will I start seeing the scales go down after some period of time? And yes, I noticed my jeans were looser yesterday so I know something is happening. But I am definitely looking for the magic formula of weight loss and toning/muscle. I do know enough to realize that I haven't created 4 lbs of muscles in a week and a half!!!

My diary is open. I have had a few off days, but the worst of them would only have put me a few calories over my TDEE. I shoot for 1600 cals per day. Any insights would be appreciated. Recently diagnosed with pre-diabetes despite my lifelong active lifestyle and weight loss is the number one way to bring those numbers down. Barely over the "pre-diabetes" line so I feel certain I can beat this. Looking to lose 10-15 lbs. Currently a 24 bmi.

Thanks a million for your ideas and experiences in this area! Have a great day.

Replies

• GypsyByTheSea
    GypsyByTheSea Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I don't follow NROL, but have been lifting heavy for about 2.5 years. I was told by other experienced lifters to put away the scales for the first few weeks. Temporary weight gain is very normal when you begin a lifting program. With only 10 - 15 pounds to lose, it will be slow going anyway.

Get out your tape measure and use that for a while to judge progress. I dropped inches - not pounds - when I first began lifting.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You're retaining water to repair your muscles from a new exercise. It will start going down again within a week or two.
  • hgillesp
    hgillesp Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for this information. I was hoping this was the case but getting a little nervous. I will sit tight and hopefully the water retention will subside. I am enjoying NROL - had been doing some other strength training but the squats and deads and some of the other exercises bring a whole new dimension to strength training.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    You are not burnign 1000 calories per day riding the lawn mower and playing golf. You really are not. Stop eating these calories back. You are eating a gross of 2500 calories or so, I suggest you start seeing this as the net for a while.
  • hgillesp
    hgillesp Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks - I plugged that stuff in just to follow it. I had a crazy active outside day that day. Did much more than I even plugged in. All in addition to my normal workout (that day was a mile run + 45 minutes strength training) which I never log because I never eat my exercise calories. That one day was an anomaly.