So I was in a car accident yesterday...

Options
So I was in a car accident yesterday. And now it seems to me, that the 12lb I need to lose before I'm at the highest bmi, isn't really much of a big deal.

I almost lost my life yesterday. Weight loss, for the first time in my life, seems like such a secondary thing to worry about now. Like it's not worth it. It's like I somehow just realized what it means in the grand scheme of things.

I've been struggling with my weight so long, and now it all seems like just a waste of precious time. I'm not really asking for anything, I just needed to get it off my chest.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you are okay! :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your crash. How are you, physically? I hope that you are well, health wise even if you're still shook up mind wise.

The way you are feeling about weight loss is good, in my opinion. I feel like picking a moderate calorie level, sticking with it, and otherwise not fixating on the process is the best way. No worrying and it just becomes part of the landscape. Fix it and forget it.
  • ForestFairy022
    ForestFairy022 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm fine thanks. Just a few bruises, a headache, and a stiff neck. Could have been much worse... xxrofir6fx5x.jpg

I'm more mentally scarred than physically. Just worried about the future now, and the people that might have gotten hurt. I tend to worry more about others than myself.
  • ForestFairy022
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Oh and that's my car...^^^ ...or what's left of it...
  • karliebethell
    karliebethell Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    That's awful I'm sorry you went through that.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    I was in a couple of severe accidents over 20 years ago (neither was my fault) and I still have anxiety when in a car. I can't seem to let go.

• ForestFairy022
    Options
    This one was my fault which makes it more stressful. I didn't see the car it was in my blind spot. And someone was with me in the car. She's injured worse than me. I thought she died. Now I'm just overrun with guilt. And I'm uncertain of my future.
  • 67butterfly
    67butterfly Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Your life is important, and should come first! Sometimes we lose ourselves in our day to day things. But don't give up on yourself. If losing that 10, 12 or 20 pounds is going to make you feel good or better about yourself, then it is also a big part of your life. It's a combination of the little things we do for ourselves, that make life worth living. We will hit speed bumps, and set backs, but these all make us realize just how important living is. I wish the best for you!
  • karliebethell
    karliebethell Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    This one was my fault which makes it more stressful. I didn't see the car it was in my blind spot. And someone was with me in the car. She's injured worse than me. I thought she died. Now I'm just overrun with guilt. And I'm uncertain of my future.

They are called accidents because that's what they are darlin'. Just an accident. I will say this though.. there are times in the past when I felt like I was wasting my time worrying about my weight, asked myself why I was depriving myself and not just enjoying food. Then I went back to old habits, gained more weight, etc.... it wasn't until a couple months ago that I had a life altering scare.... except it was because of my weight. So as insignificant as it may feel now... your health is the most important thing.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    You should talk to your doc just to get your thoughts back in good order because trauma like this will haunt you for a long time. You know, even if it was your fault it was still an accident.
  • ForestFairy022
    Options
    Thanks everyone :heart:
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Things will clam down but its a really traumatic experience for you. Take it slow and hope youi both get better soon. If in the future you wnat to lose that weight, then you can and you will be able to keep it in perspective.
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I am so glad you are okay !!!
  • WicklowWanderer
    WicklowWanderer Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Glad you're okay and you are right, losing weight might no longer be a priority. On the other hand, you're going to be dealing with a lot of "what ifs", doubts and anxiety along with feelings that things aren't in your control. One thing that is in your control is your weight, what you choose to eat and what activities you do (when you're physically better). Even control over something low priority can help you feel strong again and will give you the resources to deal with what's not in your control. Take care.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Glad you're okay and you are right, losing weight might no longer be a priority. On the other hand, you're going to be dealing with a lot of "what ifs", doubts and anxiety along with feelings that things aren't in your control. One thing that is in your control is your weight, what you choose to eat and what activities you do (when you're physically better). Even control over something low priority can help you feel strong again and will give you the resources to deal with what's not in your control. Take care.

Oh very nice post. It might not even be that weight loss is the goal, even whatever exercise that can be done could be enough to clear your mind, OP

And I know your mind is going wild with all kinds of thoughts now, but as mentioned, we see lots of posts explaining life events and how they derailed health goals and now they're back. It probably shouldn't be any kind of obsessive priority, but can still be a point of focus

I'm really sorry about the accident and especially your friend. I hope she feels better soon

And on a personal note, it's a pet peeve of mine when people kind of lurk in my blind spot. Even going faster or slower by one mph should be enough to stagger the vehicles so that you're not in this dangerous area of someone else's car. It's just like when you read end somebody but depending on how they stopped, they could have contributed to the accident, too. Oh well, crying over spilled milk and all :frown:
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry . I know the exact feeling you are describing. Its the same thing when one has a sick child ,or spouse. Loses a family member or any other trauma. Reality kicks in fast and things sort of seem less important when we see things from that perspective. The good news is, when you look at life with this perspective, we tend not to sweat the small stuff and simply appreciate things like family more.
    In time , you'll start to regain your passion for weight loss and other things. But you'll never go back mentally, to the way things used to be. You'll always have this " perspective" in the back of your head. It's not necessarily a bad thing either. You'll get it all sorted out in your head ,but it takes time.