Old clothes that you refuse to throw out.

Options
I had this old retro pair of flared jeans, I loved those jeans so much and refused to part with them. They held so much memories of good times and events, to cast them away would for me be criminal. Something today reminded me of them so I went and dug them out. I deep breath and a gulp, I was going to try them on. Last time I tried them on, many years ago I couldn't even get them past my thighs. Today however they slipped on and fitted like an absolute dream. Better than ever I would say. This has really made my day today. Sounds silly I know but if you knew what these jeans meant then you'd understand.
Anybody else hang onto stuff just incase it fits again or is it just me? Lol...

Replies

• tryinhard2lose
    tryinhard2lose Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have like a whole box full of clothes that I loved and haven't fit into in years,lol....They're probably a bit out of style now,but if I lose the weight and fit into them, I don't care, I'm gonna wear them proudly!!!! Lol. Congrats tho!!!
  • LittleRed77
    Options
    No, it's definitely not just you. Ok, so i finally got rid of some size 4's. But I'm still hanging onto the sixes and eights.
  • casey12105
    casey12105 Posts: 293
    Options
    I have a whole box of clothes in my closet as well of things I used to be able to wear. I'm glad I saved them because it'll save me a money having to buy clothes as I lose weight lol.
  • shallo
    shallo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I had a pair of jeans I hauled around for 10+ years. They are too big now. And going the opposite way I have a Jack Skellington shirt that is way to big I can't get rid of. Luckily I know how to sew so I'm going to take it in so it isn't like a tent.
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I have a polka dot backless halter top
    I have had for yrs and never been able
    to wear, think i will try it on when i get home:smile:
    I will let you know how it fits!
  • HeyGrlHey
    HeyGrlHey Posts: 640
    Options
    Your not the only one! I have two rubber-maid bins full of my old "skinny" clothes. Some of them are waaay to small and I do not plan on trying to fit in them (sizes 0 - 3), but others I am looking forward to being able to wear them again (sizes 5 and 7)! Like another poster said, it will save me money since I won't have to buy (as much) new clothes :]

M.
  • Melbel85
    Melbel85 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of jean shorts that I can't wait to fit into again and I won't stop until I can button them! : ) Visual motivation!
  • bluellies
    bluellies Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I did go through my skinny clothes and weed out the teeney bopper clothes, but other than that I hung on to all of my stuff. Everyone told me I'd never fit into them, and I've proved them wrong once before. My third pregnancy packed on the pounds again, and I KNOW that if I did it once I can do it again. Wear those jeans proudly!
  • newt1975
    newt1975 Posts: 23
    Options
    I have a really nice pair of quicksilver jeans that i want to wear again.........:happy:
  • littlesuzieq
    littlesuzieq Posts: 103
    Options
    I have a few pairs of jeans that are size 11 and a couple pair of really cute shorts that are 10's that I would love to fit into again. I've got quite a ways to go before that happens but I do take them out and look at them when I need the motivation.

*sigh* Someday!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I've always saved the good clothing that I outgrew...and as I have shrunk, I keep getting the opportunity to shop from my own closet.... which is so fun. The heartbreaking (? kind of?) thing is when you shrink past the clothes that you used to regard as "skinny" clothes. It's both awesome and weird at the same time.
  • Tomhusker
    Tomhusker Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Not really anything I would consider old. I do keep my clothes for 2-3 years and wear the hell out of them. I still wear a pair of bibbed overalls that I wear 3-4 times a week when I am working around the place. My wife hates them, all ragged at the cuff, so baggy now that I can carry a goat inside the bib. I'll be wearing them in a little while when I go out to mow.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I've always saved the good clothing that I outgrew...and as I have shrunk, I keep getting the opportunity to shop from my own closet.... which is so fun. The heartbreaking (? kind of?) thing is when you shrink past the clothes that you used to regard as "skinny" clothes. It's both awesome and weird at the same time.

This^

I have lots of really nice things from when I last lost loads of weight a few years ago.

I also saved a pair of cropped jeans from when i was 330lbs and a UK size 28. A reminder to me, that I never ever want to get that big ever again- and although I have put some pounds back on- I am still waaaay smaller than those!!
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    ahh yes. I have a tiny Get Up Kids t-shirt that I can wear again! And a few other t-shirts that were my fav's in high school. Unfortunately most of my bottoms were worn out. I can be sentimental about clothes- I was wearing my favorite shirt when I was in an accident one time and the EMS cut it off me. I was so bummed I framed part of it to preserve the pattern. I'm a weirdo.
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Hi. This is my downfall. My closet was full of old clothes that used to fit me about a year ago or more, and no longer do because I have gained weight. :( I kept refusing to buy new clothes because I wanted to lose the weight and fit into my old clothes again.

Now I'm downsizing to a smaller place with a lot less closet space and I need to get rid of a lot of clothes. I was reading this book called Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Big? It was discussing the similarities between holding onto junk and holding onto weight. It talked about honoring the body we have right now instead of waiting until it changes into something else, or holding onto the past wishing our bodies still looked a certain way. We have to be realistic and aco****able to ourselves in order to reacdh our goals.

This really helped me be able to get rid of most of those old clothes that I'd been hanging onto. I realized that a lot of them had gone out of style anyway, and when I meet my weight loss goals, it will be fun to go shopping for new clothes that fit well! (One idea is to sell your old clothes that no longer fit and save the money for when you reach your weight loss goal so that you can buy new clothes).

Now my closets are trimmer (or getting there... I'm in the middle of this process) and full of only the clothes that fit me well, that I wear a lot and truly like. I plan to keep it that way but replace them with smaller clothes as I lose weight! :) I hope I've helped, I just wanted to share something that's worked for me as a former packrat with weight issues! I am trying to change everything for the better. :) I DO still have a pair of "going out" jeans that I love and that are my goal to fit back into... so of course I made an exception for them. :) Good luck everyone.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    When I read the title, I was thinking "oh hell no, throw those fat clothes out!" but now that I see you're talking about skinny clothes, I am totally guilty of that. I lost 40+ pounds on Atkins 6 years ago and kept all the smaller clothes I had from back then. I'm just about back to the same weight so it's been great being able to shop in my own closet! Really looking forward to getting back into a tank dress that I kept - just need to find a shrug to go with it to cover my flabby upper arms. :)
  • epaphus98
    epaphus98 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm going to my storage space tomorrow to pull a whole box out of storage of clothes that haven't fit in 8 years. They won't fit yet, but they will be a nice gauge of where I am and where I want to be. You are so not alone in holding on to small clothes to keep hope alive that you will fit into that awesome pair of jeans again.

Congrats on your success, wear those pants proudly!
  • MoonMyst3
    MoonMyst3 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Your not the only one... I also have a pair of (acid-wash :laugh:) jeans that have seen some wonderful times. I keep them to remind me how fit and small I was at ~18 years old. I can't see myself ever fitting in them again as I have had 3 children since and my hips are wider but I keep them anyways. Furthermore, at the start of my weight loss journey, my thigh measurement was bigger than the waist of those jeans!! It's funny that you brought this up though as yesterday was my daughter's (the youngest) 18th birthday and during our family celebrations, my two daughters and I were talking about my weight loss. I mentioned that, at 18, I was just as petite as the b-day girl but I could tell she didn't really believe me... so I hauled out the old jeans. After she finished laughing at the style "in the old days", she tried them on and found them to be tight except for the legs. All three of us were surprised. I know that it's not possible for me to be that small again but I'm going to see how close I can get... within a healthy range, of course. And even though I won't ever wear them again... they will always be my 'trophy' jeans!! :wink:
  • reander
    reander Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    That's so great!

For me it's this very low cut (like showing stomach) green silk dress. I've worn it once and quickly outgrew it, the day I can fit into that baby will be a good day. I also have an old bikini I refuse to throw out, even though it cost next to nothing and it's probably 7 years old, I will wear it again.
  • meadows654
    meadows654 Posts: 164
    Options
    I saved a bunch of smaller clothes in vaccuum sealed storage bags. I've lugged them around for 2 moves! And I'm proud to say that in the past couple of months I've started to fit into some! The ones that are even smaller I know I'll finally make it into throughout the summer. I've been giving my "too big" clothes to my sister so I won't be tempted to grow back into them. My original goal jeans I can finally fit into and to know that those will someday be too small just blows my mind. My new goal is my "going away" pants suit I changed into after my wedding (7 years ago!).
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!