Tired all the time

Options
Hey everyone! I wasn't sure what category this type of question would go in so I thought support would be the closest. I'm a 19 year old female who up to about 3 weeks ago exercised regularly 5-6 days a week. I began to start feeling fatigued constantly so I had to change up my routine. I reduced my amount of days exercising down to 2-3 and started to improve my diet even more. I already was eating fairly healthy but I figured maybe the daily treats I was adding in was affecting me? So I tried to cut them out. After about 2 weeks of switching things up I realized nothing was changing and I was still tired. I would have repeated days of doing little to nothing and I would feel exhausted by the end of the day. I even get at least 9 hours of sleep a night and I still feel so tired in the mornings. This past week I haven't worked out at all because my body just feels so fatigued. I'm not sure how to help this type of situation. I've always been the type of person who can wake up and just start their active day without any problems. Has any else experienced this??? I am seeing my doctor this week and I wasn't sure if this is worth mentioning or not. Thanks.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Definitely mention it to your doctor.

How much are you eating?
  • jessicatombari
    jessicatombari Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Definitely mention it to your doctor.

How much are you eating?

In terms of calories?? I eat about 1400 at least a day, more if I workout. I usually eat at least half of my workout cals
  • loic901
    loic901 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    A multi vitamin MAY help with some added vit D!

I have the same issues but it is probably my test level in my case!
  • christabelle66
    christabelle66 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    There are many, many health issues that can cause fatigue-- anemia, thyroid problems, mononucleosis, lyme disease, pregnancy, sleep apnea, just to name a few. Definitely talk to your doctor about the fatigue.
  • ear1011
    ear1011 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Any major stressors in your life currently??
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I feel similar if I've gone with my fat intake well below .35 grams per lb of body fat for awhile, and if my iron is low.
  • jessicatombari
    Options
    loic901 wrote: »
    A multi vitamin MAY help with some added vit D!

I have the same issues but it is probably my test level in my case!

I do take a multivitamin rn, it has vitamin D but just the average amount not extra
  • jessicatombari
    Options
    ear1011 wrote: »
    Any major stressors in your life currently??

Not MAJOR at the moment thank goodness, it's summer vacation for me!
  • LaurensE1
    LaurensE1 Posts: 196 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Check with your doctor too. You never know...
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    See your doc. Unexplained fatigue should always be investigated. Take care!
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    This sounds like it came on suddenly and has had short duration. You are probably sick. Could be a virus, could be the start of a medical issue (anything from sleep disorder to hypothyroidism to autoimmune colitis to pregnancy to anemia...).

Get diagnosed, get treated, get your energy back, be on your way. Go as soon as you can-no reason to feel bad for any longer than you have to.

Absolutely you should mention this to your doc.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I wasn't sure what category this type of question would go in so I thought support would be the closest. I'm a 19 year old female who up to about 3 weeks ago exercised regularly 5-6 days a week. I began to start feeling fatigued constantly so I had to change up my routine. I reduced my amount of days exercising down to 2-3 and started to improve my diet even more. I already was eating fairly healthy but I figured maybe the daily treats I was adding in was affecting me? So I tried to cut them out. After about 2 weeks of switching things up I realized nothing was changing and I was still tired. I would have repeated days of doing little to nothing and I would feel exhausted by the end of the day. I even get at least 9 hours of sleep a night and I still feel so tired in the mornings. This past week I haven't worked out at all because my body just feels so fatigued. I'm not sure how to help this type of situation. I've always been the type of person who can wake up and just start their active day without any problems. Has any else experienced this??? I am seeing my doctor this week and I wasn't sure if this is worth mentioning or not. Thanks.

At your age, mononucleosis (virus) or an under active thyroid could be the problem. DO mention the symptoms to your doctor because they are real and it seems that the intensity is increasing. A simple blood test could help to get the proper diagnosis. You may also print your food diary so the doctor can see what and how much you are eating. I wish you well.
  • jessicatombari
    Options
    Thanks everyone I will be sure to speak up
  • pointkoala
    pointkoala Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Are you eating completely balanced meals and getting all vitamins? Multi-vitamin could come in handy, I'd say try it out and see how it helps. It's hard to know exactly what you're missing without going to a doctor (which I'd still recommend) but try the multi-vitamin right away.
    I'm vegan and I sometimes start feeling fatigued as well. I know right away that I haven't been getting my iron... I still eat healthy but just missing some things with iron. So I take an iron supplement and I feel better the next day. I try to take my iron supplements a couple times per week. Vitamin B12 is another one that I know of.... if you're feeling fatigued, it could be because of lack of vit B12. I take that one almost daily.
    Those are just two thoughts from me :)
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Your 19 years old and have only 6 lbs to lose. 1400 calories/day sounds low. What is your weight loss goal set to? With only a few pounds to lose, you should be aiming at 0.5 lb/week of loss.
    There may be health issues that need to be checked out by a doctor but also make sure that you are eating enough to sustain and energize your body.
  • HeleyneBeam
    HeleyneBeam Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    See your doc. Unexplained fatigue should always be investigated. Take care!

This! Take care of yourself. Your body is letting you know something needs attention!
  • jessicatombari
    Options
    PaytraB wrote: »
    Your 19 years old and have only 6 lbs to lose. 1400 calories/day sounds low. What is your weight loss goal set to? With only a few pounds to lose, you should be aiming at 0.5 lb/week of loss.
    There may be health issues that need to be checked out by a doctor but also make sure that you are eating enough to sustain and energize your body.

1350 cal a day is what MFP set my intake to, my settings are at 0.5lb/week although I'm not trying hard to lose weight since I'm only 122lbs already so I tend to eat more around 1500. But lately I've been getting less than my 1350 goal just bec I have no appetite