Is eating at the "extreme weightloss" calorie target necessary to get a Victoria Secrets body ?

Options
getgemma
getgemma Posts: 40 Member
edited August 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi all,

I thought I'd ask and get your thoughts as its a reoccurring theme I seem to come back to when looking through forum posts. Have you personally had to eat at the extremities of your daily calorie intake to see results? I'm asking this in fitness not diet, so please take into consideration sporting requirements and I'll be assuming that you guys have a rounded diet, exercise balance ;)

It's a tough one. I hope I'm not the only one who becomes tempted but then remembers that muscle loss is not cool.

Then in a year or so I can post asking for how to get a Victoria secret / High jumper / dancers body ;) or may be I won't.

Looking forward to your thoughts.
G

Replies

• Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    As a figure competitor competition prep is pretty extreme but if done in the right way with a good exit strategy (reverse dieting) it's fine physically, it is pretty tough mentally though. On the flip side if it's done wrongly it can cause some pretty serious problems.

Not sure why the question though....
  • getgemma
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Hi IronM (amazing bod btw).

Long term I'd like that slinky body That is strong, fit, toned and healthy. Okay the plus of getting into many UK High St clothes would be nice. I'd settle for a size 10 with my height. I'm thinking yoga body :)

I've see a lot of comments were people go extreme say 1200 long term and that's their strategy. Surely your metabolism is knocked if it's long term and then go back to normal cal?

If you think of any online articles worth a read I'll check them out.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Your genes will have a lot to do with whether you can look like a Victoria's Secret model...
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    If that's a current picture of you that you posted, you look like you are already at a healthy weight. And don't take this the wrong way, but you have nice figure also :). So, I'm going out on a limb and guessing that what you want is perhaps to lose a small amount of fat, and muscle up? There are some very accomplished athletes who hang around here who can advise you on that better than I can. But in terms of just the weight loss, you definitely don't want or need to go to extremes, which you already seem to know. I think alot of the people here who say they eat 1200 are netting 1200 when they add on extra for their exercise activities. Not all, but alot.
  • getgemma
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the thoughts. I've worked out I'm currently a mix of two body shapes Mes and Endomorph (http://www.superskinnyme.com/body-types.html).

I appreciate Kate Moss isn't going to be my shape but a slimmer figure and more toned (tummy, waist and tops of inner thighs). I've lined up with another MFP who has taken 4 yrs to reach her goal. So that's inspiring to know. I've read somewhere recently 18% fat before slimmer thighs will show.

(Yes it's a recent pic ;) )

• hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Those body types are complete rubbish. As for body fat, everyone's will be a little different as to what they look like at whT percent. I gain and lose fat pretty uniformly, whereas some people are apples or pears. I'm somewhere around the 15-18% but have always had slim thighs. No matter what I eat or exercise I'll never look like a model though as I'm only 5'3", some things are genetic! As for calories many probably do net a small amount before shows or competition.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    If you want to look like a Victoria's Secret model you need to walk around with an airbrush to change your body shape. While many of them are genetically abnormal and look pretty perfect naturally-VS is horrible with the airbrushing.

Whether or not you get a long, lean body or "yoga body" is mostly genetics. You can surely reduce body fat and get leaner or skinnier-but you cannot create a body type. Keep losing, slow and steady. Incorporate lots of exercise so you are not super soft as you get smaller.

As far as body fat % for slim thighs-again genetics. And, type of weight training will effect this. For me, thighs are the last to lean out. It may be different for you.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Are you 5'9 and slim built?
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    The reason you see ppl eating at the extremes is because they want instant gratification. They are in a hurry to lose it as fast as they can.

And to answer your question, no. You need a good plastic surgeon, or exceptional genetics.
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    VS models can vary quite a bit in build. Curvy has been in for a while now so it's not like your aiming for the 70s super model look.

As some have said already there is a bit of.... Let's call it "craft" involved in making any model look the way they do. Every detail is tended to for the ideal shot and airbrushing is really the least of it these days. That's mostly been relegated to minute touch ups and excruciating attention to detail during the shoot makes up for a lot.

Personally I like that the modeling ideal has trended away from waifish figures to figures that almost certainly are made in the gym with weights. Lots of models have compositions that wouldn't be out of place in a fitness comp. atleast an armature comp lol.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I say don't put the cart before the horse. You are more concerned with the results than the process. The MOST i.portant thing is finding a process that works for you and is sustainable. Going in with a "dream body" is what sells all of the 90 day shred programs!! Start from where you are and fall in love with the process.
  • getgemma
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Are you 5'9 and slim built?
    I'm 178cm so just under 5'11
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I would have never been able to become a model (too short, plus it takes more than being slim to look like a model) but looking back at pics of myself in my early 20s, I guess I did have the figure you are talking about. I was not eating extremely little in terms of gross calories, but I was also exercising A LOT, so my net calories where definitely not many. By a lot, I mean several hours per day spent in the gym and then walking a lot during the day, since I had no car and public transportation was awful where I was at the time. I think that (1) being slimly built plays a big part (my ankles, wrists, fingers etc are ridiculously slim, so it comes to bone structure too) plus (2) age matters. If I did lose a few more kilos today, started living at the gym again and got back to where I was at my lowest weight, again I would not look like I did 20 years ago.
  • getgemma
    Options
    Hi all, lots of advice coming in which is great to see.

I'm seeking this advice and it's come from how I have changed my lifestyle, I pretty much am spending most of my time with my Tri club. I even cycle 21 miles to work as a commute once a week. I've recently taken a personalised gym programme to give me results for my sports (TRX band and Olympic bar). I'm aiming to go sub 22's on my 5k and a frame with less fat is beneficial for racing. (I will be healthy and not stick thin).

I'd like to to try and investigate then get the next step in my journey lined up.

The Victoria models I personally think are super hot. Might not work for others but the ones I have in mind are long lean and slightly curvy. May be the show I watched in a fashion show were the reasonable (healthy) ones! I looked into a few of them and their training includes boxing. I agree that it is genetic...but I also think that the lightest frame I have had as an adult could have been sculpted.

Tips on getting there? How do you eat deficit after training when you are ravenous. Protein shakes and nutrient rich food & snacks? Or do you train yourself to resist?

Thanks
    G

• Fujiberry
    Fujiberry Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Nope, I've never been tempted to eat that little. One, I love food so I'm not giving that up. Two, I look so much better when I'm fuller with more muscle/fat. I actually have curves now. Three, I like lifting heavy things. A low calorie diet is going to destroy my lifts. :/
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I don't know if any diet would help me obtain the Victoria Secrets body...
    :)
    Instead of striving toward some unrealistic ideal, just work to become the best version of you.
    It's not rocket science.
    Eat right, exercise - both cardio and strength.
    Do this consistently, and over the months, you will improve your health, fitness and overall body appearance.
    There really is no super secret routine only the elite know. It's all actually quite simple...and also very hard.
  • getgemma
    Options
    Fujiberry wrote: »
    Nope, I've never been tempted to eat that little. One, I love food so I'm not giving that up. Two, I look so much better when I'm fuller with more muscle/fat. I actually have curves now. Three, I like lifting heavy things. A low calorie diet is going to destroy my lifts. :/

Hearing a lot of good things about lifts Fuji. Will put some effort in with the new programme I'm building up.

With the lifting how do you slacken tight muscles in your calf, quad of hamstring other than nobbly foam roller, massage stick and stretches? (Happy to see YouTube vids of stretches).
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Beauty is winning the lottery. It's not an achievement.

https://www.ted.com/talks/cameron_russell_looks_aren_t_everything_believe_me_i_m_a_model?language=en

To achieve a particular form requires body building. I have lost 85 pounds with a lot of expert support and I am still overweight. But I can run, jump, climb, and recover better than I have in decades.

I'd rather be happy using this transformation to do more stuff rather than trying to achieve a particular form. Besides, I am awesome in the eyes of my granddaughter. Isn't that enough?

http://www.zoomphoto.ca/viewphoto/19622-110-25170609/1/

(Deliberately unflattering photo)

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    P.S. I continue to lose if I stay in the 1600 range, adjusting for activity.