Ready to bulk or continue cut?

Options
speed3_bobby
speed3_bobby Posts: 34 Member
Hello everyone. I picked up my first weight march 1st standing 5foot10 and weighing 190 pounds. Started dieting to cut may 1st. Today i weigh 164 pounds. Been around there for 2 weeks. Some info on lifts. Bench press starting 105 pounds for one. Right now 190 lbs for one. Incline bench press starting 75 lbs for one. Right now 155lbs for one. Squat beginning 135lbs for one. Right now 275 lbs for one. Deadlift beginning 150lbs. Right now 265lbs. Thanks guys. Any input is appreciated

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Do us a favor, post pics. Linking to social media isn't allowed.
  • AlshMoudy
    AlshMoudy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Pictures Please
    .. that's a great transformation
  • Giolis
    Giolis Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    That's great progress! Do you know what your BF% is?

It's hard to know without pictures or knowing your current body fat but based on the gains it sounds like you should be able to bulk.

Are you still adding weights to your lifts? If so you might continue to cut but once your gains start to stall then the best way to get them moving again is with a bulk (as long as you're still lifting heavy).
  • speed3_bobby
    Options
    Giolis wrote: »
    That's great progress! Do you know what your BF% is?

It's hard to know without pictures or knowing your current body fat but based on the gains it sounds like you should be able to bulk.

Are you still adding weights to your lifts? If so you might continue to cut but once your gains start to stall then the best way to get them moving again is with a bulk (as long as you're still lifting heavy).
    Im sorry idk how to post a pic on the app. It doesnt give me an option. And as far as weight it has been steady the past 3 weeks, like i havent lifted heavier weights and im hitting a max of 8 reps without failure. I do feel like i plateaued on weight but then again i havent maxed out in a couple weeks because no spotter. My scale reads my body fat at 11.7%. Only fat that i can see is lower belly. I see veins under my stomach, veins near my shoulder chest area, and one long vein from my shoulder to my forearm.
  • speed3_bobby
    Options
    Left was march 1st. Right was august 1st
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Awesome! looks great!
    Also like how you can definetly know for sure it's you and not fake because of your cool tattoo!

ps. this forum usses BBcode, so instead of html, just post your picture between (img) (/img) and replace the ( )with [ ]to get it to display in the forum
  • speed3_bobby
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »
    Awesome! looks great!
    Also like how you can definetly know for sure it's you and not fake because of your cool tattoo!

ps. this forum usses BBcode, so instead of html, just post your picture between (img) (/img) and replace the ( )with [ ]to get it to display in the forum

Yea im trying to figure that out right now lol i had to go to my way old photobucket to attempt this
  • speed3_bobby
    Options
  • speed3_bobby
    Options
    noaeq3qoliz0.jpg

That was me yesterday after eating 4 pork chops lol
  • Giolis
    Options
    I think you're ready for a bulk. Your BF seems to be low enough that you'll maximize muscle to fat ratio on your bulk. You do have to make sure that your lifts ate getting heavier. It's going to be the constant weight increases that are going to be the stimulus for your muscles to grow.
  • speed3_bobby
    Options
    This should be way more fun. Im already at the gym for 2 and a half hours. And i dont have to intermittant fast like i was doing. I mean i can but i still dont know if i should "lean bulk" or "dirty bulk" and i really dont know what my maintenance is but ive been losing weight up untill now at 2200 calories. So im assuming maybe my maintenance is about 2500 calories?
  • speed3_bobby
    Options
    Or maybe since im sustaining weight my maintnenace is what im intaking now which is 2300 calories
  • AsISmile
    Options
    Or maybe since im sustaining weight my maintnenace is what im intaking now which is 2300 calories

Sounds about right.
    This should be way more fun. Im already at the gym for 2 and a half hours. And i dont have to intermittant fast like i was doing. I mean i can but i still dont know if i should "lean bulk" or "dirty bulk" and i really dont know what my maintenance is but ive been losing weight up untill now at 2200 calories. So im assuming maybe my maintenance is about 2500 calories?

So why are you unsure about a clean or dirty bulk?
  • vadimknobel
    vadimknobel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    very very slow bulk
  • speed3_bobby
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »

Sounds about right.

So why are you unsure about a clean or dirty bulk?

Just havent researched enough into bulking. Im new to lifting. Right now i know how to cut, idk much about gaining weight but having a maximum muscle gain as possible.
  • speed3_bobby
    Options
    very very slow bulk

I just did iifym and had me at 4700 calories. I did my own macros with 40carb 20protein 40fat
  • AsISmile
    Options
    Read this thread and the one it links too if you haven't yet.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10226536/bulking-for-beginners
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    very very slow bulk

I just did iifym and had me at 4700 calories. I did my own macros with 40carb 20protein 40fat

Go with 50% carbs, 20% protein & 30% fat. Do a slow bulk & be patient. I'm currently nearing the end of mine.
  • Giolis
    Options
    A clean bulk is about 500 calories extra a day. This should voice you about s pound of gain a week. Average 1 to 1 ratio that means half a phd of muscle each week or 2 lbs a month.

A dirty bulk is daily calories over that. How much over is up to you to decide but there is a limit as to how much muscle you can build in a week regardless of how much weight you put on in a week. Therefore if you're too dirty you could be adding more fat than muscle. Which could be ok since you would be gaining you maximum amount of muscle possible.

With a clean bulk you could be missing out on some potential muscle gains by not eating enough calories.