Stretching before your workouts... Good or bad?

Options
I receive Shin Ohtake's newsletter and here is this week's topic and it makes a lot of sense...

Stretching before your workouts... Good or bad?

Have you ever gotten a pesky injury from either a workout, playing sports, or some other activity? Ugh, it just seems to nag and nag. Sometimes it even goes in waves... Like you're fine for a while and then, *BAM*, it's back again. I know, it totally sucks.

Then you start thinking back about what you could have done differently that could have prevented it in the first place -- and then it finally comes to mind... "Darn it, I knew I should have warmed up more."

Well, yes and no.

First of all, injuries can be pretty complicated and your lack of warming up may not totally be to blame, but one thing is for sure: Warming up WILL help you reduce your risk of injury. You need to get yourself moving and get that blood flowing to your muscles to properly prepare your body before you get all crazy with the dumbbells.

Problem is, most people have been taught that stretching is part of warming-up. After all, isn't that what they tell you to do when you take a fitness class at the gym?! Lemme tell ya, that couldn't be further from the truth and it'll land you straight in the doctors office if you keep that up.

I even had a client a couple years ago who kept pulling his hamstring. I asked him to stop stretching before working out and he wouldn't. He just could couldn't buy into that idea - it didn't make sense to him because he didn't understand how the body works. His old ways were too ingrained. Well, he finally got fed up with the recurring (and painful!) injury and took my advice (it took some convincing). And whaddaya know? No more hamstring pulls. Not a one since then.

Here's why:

#1 Stretching before your workout can increase your risk of injury:

There's a common misconception that stretching reduces your risk of injury by "loosening" up your muscles. Well, it's not all wrong...static stretching can help elongate and relax your muscles, tendons, and ligaments. But here's the catch: static stretching reduces your muscles' ability to contract.

And since your muscles need to be ready to contract (concentrically and eccentrically) at vigorous rates as soon as you start exercising, you want them to be ready for action -- NOT in a long and relaxed state. You're much more likely to pull a muscle when you suddenly try and exert force (like lifting weights) from a relaxed state. This is why static stretching is not the activity of choice prior to working out.

#2 Stretching is NOT warming-up:

Your warm-up should be a lighter version of what your actual workout is going to be (I call it a "Dynamic Warm-Up". For example, if one of the exercises you plan on doing is lunges with dumbbells, then make lunges without weight part of your warm-up. You should do all the low-intensity versions of the exercises you'll be doing in your workout to properly prepare your muscles, ligaments and joints. This is why it makes all the difference to plan what you're going to do before you go the gym ;-)

The whole point of warming up is to get your heart rate up, get your blood flowing and pump more oxygen to your muscles so you can prepare to dive into your workout. If you stretch during your warm-up, you're going to let your heart rate back down and allow your muscles to relax...and "undo" what you were trying to accomplish in the first place!

When should you stretch?

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not a hater...stretching is really important (I stretch everyday), but my point is you shouldn't do it until AFTER your workout. I want you to have good flexibility because that helps reduce risk of injury too, but it's crucial that you don't work on it until after your workout when you're cooling down - that's the right time to lengthen and relax your muscles.

Stay fit (and injury free!),

-Shin

When I was a gymnast, I was fortunate enough to have what is now one of the top trainer for the Cirque du Soleil and he made us stretch only at te end of our session but it was intense stretching and it lasted about 15 to 20 minutes. I had no injuries and was really fit. Thanks Andre

Replies

• thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I'm going to forward this to my nay-saying boyfriend right now .... lol.

I have always streched down, never stretched up since it was required when i ran track and cross country back in grade school. I do movement "stretches" for warm-up, things like leg and arm swings/circles/bounces, and then pace into my run with walking for 5 minutes and then light jogging for another five before I hit pace.
    I cool down into a 5 minute jog, 5 minute walking, and then go into stationary stretches.
  • bragz
    bragz Posts: 22
    Options
    I don't really stretch before lifting but I do before running. If I don't my calfs start hurting. I can walk a mile without stretching but once i start running they hurt. If I stretch beforehand I'm ok. I actually hate stretching but for me I feel its a must.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I keep reading all this new information about stretching, and it's 180 degrees from what a learned.
    I ran track for a lotta years and was primarily a hurdler. a short 2-3 min warm up jog, followed by a lot of stretching before practice never had any bad effects on me. I never had an injury and had incredible flexibilty. There was also a lot of stretching after practice too.
    Maybe I am an oddball, but still enjoy a pre-workout stretch, you just have to realize you can't go nuts during it.
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I think both a stretch before physical exertion and a stretch or cool-down period after is optimal.
  • hillview2
    hillview2 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Yeah I can tell I FEEL a lot better when I warm up (walking) before working out vs stretching
  • lavaflow99
    lavaflow99 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    very informative. thanks!