Xenical/Orlistat/Alli - Would you or wouldn't you?

Options
Quick question to you lovely helpful people out there - has anyone tried the above? My mother has (strongly) suggested that I try Alli but I am loathe to take any kind of pills other than a multi-vitamin. What is your opinion on them, genuinely? I mean, I know that careful eating and exercise is the answer to most weight issues, but what if you could get a little help along the way? Would you try it?

Thank you for your help, all feedback is appreciated! x

Replies

• LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options
    I did try it, and it made no difference. You have to eat a low fat diet to avoid horrible side effects, so the only thing the pill is doing is keeping you honest with regards to fat consumption. :blushing:
  • emmaldownie
    emmaldownie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I had Orlistat, for a month, lost a lot of weight, BUT the second I came off it, it all came straight back on.

I didnt like it, it made me feel scared to eat ANYTHING, even healthy foods.

Won't ever do it again, slow and steady wins the race every time.
  • Qattusa
    Qattusa Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I did try it, and it made no difference. You have to eat a low fat diet to avoid horrible side effects, so the only thing the pill is doing is keeping you honest with regards to fat consumption. :blushing:

Oh dear... the side effects are rather unpleasant from what I hear...
  • Krys_T
    Krys_T Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I tried Alli for a month, and it was way too expensive for it to not have made that big of a difference. It is more mental than anything....since you have oily stools if you eat fatty foods, you just become more cautious of what you put in your mouth thus leading to the "increased weight loss" I would just do it the good ol fashion way girl...you can do it! Trust me, 60lbs later, I am very happy of the route I chose.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    They suggest that you carry around an extra change of clothes because of and I quote "oily anal leakage"

I would rather take 5 months longer to lose the weight than deal with oil leakage. GROSS!
  • LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options
    I was too afraid to test it, so I can't answer for sure, but who want to find out the hard way!!
  • bluellies
    bluellies Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Never tried any of those, but I did use Phen for a month and kept the weight off for 2 years. Gained it back with my last pregnancy.

There are always pros and cons with any diet aide you take, adn there will be people with success and failure stories to go along with it. Research, talk with your doctor, and do what you feel is best for yourself.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Quick question to you lovely helpful people out there - has anyone tried the above? My mother has (strongly) suggested that I try Alli but I am loathe to take any kind of pills other than a multi-vitamin. What is your opinion on them, genuinely? I mean, I know that careful eating and exercise is the answer to most weight issues, but what if you could get a little help along the way? Would you try it?

Do some research on Alli. The other day I heard about a research study that found some very adverse effects.
  • greatescape
    greatescape Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    DON'T DO IIIIIIT! Worst experience ever. Too restrictive a diet on it-- I agree with the above poster, it made me afraid to eat anything! BLEH! Believe me when I say that losing just the 1-2 lb/week is PLENTY and in the end it feels like not much time has passed.

I think the worst part of starting is thinking "damn it's gonna take foreverrrr for me to lose all this weight" but in the scheme of things, you learn a lot and it doesn't feel like that long once you start. Plus you want to learn to count the calories and be aware of what you're eating with out relying on that pill.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    To me the problem with these is that you don't hear about the bad things that they can cause until a few years later when it's too late, not worth it to me. Plus I want to make a lifestyle change and I have to do that on my own.
  • Qattusa
    Options
    I tried Alli for a month, and it was way too expensive for it to not have made that big of a difference. It is more mental than anything....since you have oily stools if you eat fatty foods, you just become more cautious of what you put in your mouth thus leading to the "increased weight loss" I would just do it the good ol fashion way girl...you can do it! Trust me, 60lbs later, I am very happy of the route I chose.

:smile: Wow, congratulations!!! :flowerforyou:
  • akaDumbo
    akaDumbo Posts: 187
    Options
    I tried Xenical a few years ago, it had no effect on me because I eat a low fat diet anyway. I tried eating one fatty meal just to see if they made a difference and all I can say is thank God I was at home. In other words if you can stick to a low fat diet on your own you might as well save your money but if you find it difficult to avoid temptation then it is worth taking them as a deterent because once you have experienced the side effects you certainly wouldn't want a repeat performance
  • Sarah_uk
    Sarah_uk Posts: 209
    Options
    I've tried Xenical on dr's prescription before(few years ago)Not sure if it worked, because I was eating a low cal diet anyway, but there wasn't a spectacular extra weight loss. But I didn't have side effects either. But probably because I was cutting down on fat anyway.

I wouldn't use it again, it can't be good for your body. That's why I stopped using them. (I read some things about Xenical and I think it was kidney damage)
  • Qattusa
    Options
    Thank you all for your feedback! It's much appreciated! x :smile:
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options

I had a few friends use Alli n it seemed like they was constantly in the bathroom... I personally wouldnt use it.
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    I personally used Slim 30 & VeggiMax for a few months & was really happy with the results... The problem is they are just a appetite suppressent so its so easy to gain the weight back once your off of them.
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    And if you're not honest, OMG the side affects are really horrid. Oh and I gained it all back + afterwards. Old fashioned way of less calories/more excersice is the way to go.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    No.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    nope
  • carpediem3
    carpediem3 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Yup, my doctor actually recommended an orlistat, Alli. I plan on buying some this weekend.. I still diet and exercise so a boost won't hurt..