Can calories be carried over?

Options
If I don't finish them today, can I use them tomorrow? Or is it simply don't use it, lose it? Thanks :)

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    It's called banking calories, I use this sometimes when I have some food event on the weekend.
  • pointkoala
    pointkoala Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Most definitely! That is (part of) how I account for food events, work dinners, etc. I know I'll be eating more calories on a certain day. Save 50-100 calories each day for the earlier part of the week. It seems to work OK for me.
  • kcn2bluesky
    kcn2bluesky Posts: 187 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Sure, you can carry calories over to another day! Seek to have a weekly overall deficit, rather than a day-to-day deficit How you spend your available calories during the week is up to you. I routinely either cycle 20+ miles or run 15+ miles every weekend, in addition to my regular weekly workouts. I always have lots of leftover calories from the days I have my long workouts, and I use them to allow myself a treat or two during the week.

Hope that helps!
  • LaurensE1
    LaurensE1 Posts: 196 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Sure you can. But then make sure you keep an overview over your whole week instead of just the days!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Yep. Some people eat less during the week to eat more during the weekend or save up for a birthday/wedding/celebration. In order to do this you'll need the phone app to track your weekly calories.
  • hotasfire36
    hotasfire36 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Of course. I save calories for Saturdays
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Lot's of people use a weekly total, so yes, they can.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    You need to trap them in a wicker basket or they'll float away. Those little varmints are quite elusive.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you want to, you can. :)
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    They sure can! I like to measure my progress by staying under a weekly TDEE rather than a daily one. This allows me to "budget" for more extravagant days by eating less on other days. For example, my mom and I plan on going shopping tomorrow and will be eating dinner out. I left about 850 calories uneaten today so that I can get pretty much anything I want when we go out to eat and still stay within my goals. I also could have eaten 100 fewer calories each day this week to achieve the same effect. I just like getting the whole thing over with in a day so that I don't have to worry about maintaining the deficit for the rest of the week in case something else comes up. :smile:
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Also if you go over you Calories, you can make it up with Calories; from future days as well.
  • Prayerwarrior7
    Prayerwarrior7 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you everybody. So great to know :)