hungry

Options
Why am I so hungry???1200 calories just isn't enough. Yes I exercise and receive more calories to eat but the more I exercise the hungrier I am!!!

Replies

• lilybug13
    lilybug13 Posts: 154
    Options
    You must not be eating the right things... I can't see you diary, but I would suggest you eat more protein.
  • KendraElmendorf
    KendraElmendorf Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    exercising increases you metabolism... :)
  • evenidomhnaill
    Options
    Add soluble fiber to your diet it worked for me.
  • greatescape
    greatescape Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I know your pain--lately I've been eating crappy food and I'm even more hungry. Stick to veggies and protein, whole grains and you can eat a lot more I think.
  • outwiththeoldinwiththenew
    Options
    I totally agree. The more I workout the hungrier I am, I am doing weight watchers along with this MFP program and when I have used all my points I just eat tons of POINT free stuff like Cucumbers with a little salt and splash of Red wine vinegar, and fruits...Also I am a person who likes to snack in the evening so I make sure to get a good workout in in the evening so that I earn some calories back to use on whatever snack I am craving...
  • Runnermadre
    Runnermadre Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I know this might receive a lot of argument, but for most women 1200 calories is simply not enough. The vast majority of women can lose weight on 1400-1500 calories per day. Dropping to 1200 calories also affects your mood and energy. Maybe aim for 1400 and take an extra walk or something.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way too, especially if I do something really vigorous like running, I'm ravenous! Try upping your protein intake and making sure your carbs are from high fiber sources (fruits, veggies, whole grains) and see if that helps.
  • ginagn73
    ginagn73 Posts: 89
    Options
    I know this might receive a lot of argument, but for most women 1200 calories is simply not enough. The vast majority of women can lose weight on 1400-1500 calories per day. Dropping to 1200 calories also affects your mood and energy. Maybe aim for 1400 and take an extra walk or something.
    I think I agree with you....I read that if I lay in bed all day I would burn 1400 calories naturally so why 1200? And I exercise alot....at least an hour a day..so I have been adding on the extra calories. I thought I was eating lots of protein and veggies but maybe I will try more protein.
  • ginagn73
    ginagn73 Posts: 89
    Options
    I totally agree. The more I workout the hungrier I am, I am doing weight watchers along with this MFP program and when I have used all my points I just eat tons of POINT free stuff like Cucumbers with a little salt and splash of Red wine vinegar, and fruits...Also I am a person who likes to snack in the evening so I make sure to get a good workout in in the evening so that I earn some calories back to use on whatever snack I am craving...
    Sounds good I think I will do the same..I am a weight watchers girl also...good idea
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I agree with pp...
    I'd also look at adding beans into your diet... fiber, protein, iron, etc. They are great at helping me feel full and satisfied without eating a ton of calories.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options

I would agree with this, how much are you trying to lose each week? aiming to lose more than 1% of your total body weight each week can be unhealthy (and unsustainable!). At 200 lbs you should aim for 2lbs a week, and at 150, 1.5 ect... setting yourself up to try to lose 2-3 lbs when you should be at the 1lb a week level will slow your metabolism and keep you hungry all the time. I know this from personal experience as well as the experience of many friends :)

the other posters were right as well, with your workouts your body needs more protein to feed your muscles, and adding fiber (slowly increase your intake to avoid bathroom related distress!) will help you feel fuller longer.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options

I would agree with this, how much are you trying to lose each week? aiming to lose more than 1% of your total body weight each week can be unhealthy (and unsustainable!). At 200 lbs you should aim for 2lbs a week, and at 150, 1.5 ect... setting yourself up to try to lose 2-3 lbs when you should be at the 1lb a week level will slow your metabolism and keep you hungry all the time. I know this from personal experience as well as the experience of many friends :)

the other posters were right as well, with your workouts your body needs more protein to feed your muscles, and adding fiber (slowly increase your intake to avoid bathroom related distress!) will help you feel fuller longer.
  • RoseCoreling
    RoseCoreling Posts: 55 Member
    Options

Totally agree with this too. I attempted 1200 cals after my son was born (and the doc cleared exercise) and it was AWFUL. I was a crab all the time and constantly felt hungry. I've stuck to the 1400 cals a day and I feel a world of a difference better!