Macronutrients Goals

Options
Hi all!
My macronutrients goals are currently set by default (50% carb, 30% fat and 20% protein). Should I be changing this? I feel like the carb and fat percentages are high and protein is low.
Thanks in advance

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your fitness goals are and whether you feel satisfied eating at a particular ratio. If you're trying to lose weight, the level of total calories is most important and the macro ratio does not greatly affect how fast you lose.

If you are lifting to help preserve muscle while you lose, you may want to increase the amount of protein. A common recommendation is 0.8g / lb body mass, but you'll have to play with the ratios to determine where that falls.

• trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Hi, you can change them to whatever works for you. I found that I was most satisfied on a 35% protein, 35% fats, 30% carb split. Never hungry and I've lost 48-49lbs.

I agree the with bpetrosky. You want to preserve muscle and upping your protein would help, but he's right that total calories are the most important and macros fall second. I prefer more protein and fat because I lift weights and hate feeling hungry. LOL.
  • jb_interiors
    jb_interiors Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    That's great advice, guys. I don't currently lift weights and I certainly don't want to feel hungry (that's my danger zone and when a lot of my horrible decisions go down).
  • jloulas
    jloulas Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What about if you want to have a low fat diet for heart health, but are also physically active so hungry, but want to lose some weight? The ratios totally flummox me personally!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    jloulas wrote: »
    What about if you want to have a low fat diet for heart health, but are also physically active so hungry, but want to lose some weight? The ratios totally flummox me personally!
    First of all, were you instructed by a doctor to lower fat?? Fat is good, depending on your goals. :)
    If you decrease one macro, you increase the other two. Also you make sure you are getting fiber in beans, nuts, veggies.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Here's some good advice on eating healthy for your heart: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyEating/The-American-Heart-Associations-Diet-and-Lifestyle-Recommendations_UCM_305855_Article.jsp
  • heis4u2004
    heis4u2004 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    My fitness pal has my protein set to 131 grams when I don't workout. I was told by some that it's too high. Would the amount be a target or a maximum allowed?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

A low fat diet does not equal heart health. That myth has been fairly well debunked over the last few years.