hypoglycemia - low blood sugar

Options
Hi guys, so i have been diagnosed with hypoglycemia and sent away with no information or tips on how to control it. I spend my life feeling fatigued and slightly hungry and regularly feel dizzy etc. Does anyone have any tips or information on controlling glucose levels?

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    Have protein and healthy fats with every meal and snack.
    Smaller, more frequent meals/snacks may also help.
  • MScrepetis
    MScrepetis Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I too have recently been diagnosed. Are you checking your blood sugar regularly?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I was slightly hypoglycemic about 2 hours after eating, so I used to eat every two hours. My problem with that is I was eating too many carbs so my blood glucose levels were up then down then up.

I now eat very low carb and high fat so my body is burning fat and ketones for fuel instead of glucose, so I never get hypoglycemic anymore.

LCHF isn't for everyone, but it worked for me.
  • bmchenry02
    bmchenry02 Posts: 233 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I eat regularly 6 meals a day and always have protein with every meal and snack. I keep a sandwich bag of almonds and craisins in my purse or a protein bar anytime I leave the house even if ive eaten just in case a sugar crash occurs.

Eta: I don't do low carb. I eat them at every meal as well but I generally stay away from white bread, potatoes, muffins, large bagels, etc. I need the carbs for fuel for my workouts. My carbs in the morning are usually steel cut oats, wheat bread, roasted sweet potato...

• pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I have carried almonds with me, for years. Great protein and easy to carry with me, at all times. I stay on schedule and all seems to be fine. Breakfast between 8:30 and 9. Eight almonds at 11ish. Lunch between noon to 1:30 or so. Hummus around 5PM and dinner at 8. It seems to work for me.
  • NotGnarly
    NotGnarly Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I had hypoglycemia for years and had to eat regularly to keep from feeling dizzy or shaky. The thing that helped my hypoglycemia come under control was taking 10,000 iui of vitamin d3 a day. Since I started doing that I no longer even think about hypoglycemia or suffer the symptoms. Try it and see if this simple solution will work for you. I no longer have to take snacks with me or feel that crashing feeling around the 2 hour mark. A couple of weeks ago I was able to do a 24 hour spiritual fast and didn't have dizzy spells or anything. Before I started vit d3 supplementing I would of never of been able to go that long without some very negative symptoms.
  • NotGnarly
    NotGnarly Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I swear vit D3 is one of the best kept secrets when it comes to hypoglycemia and other ailments.
  • Gozergirl
    Gozergirl Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I keep small amounts of Nuts on hand for when I get low blood sugar. It is a nice steady pick up, and healthy.
    For emergencies, try Orange Juice, it should help when it is too late for other foods.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The same guidance that helps the type 2 helps the hypoglycaemic. Eat on a schedule. Include protein in every meal, every snack. Carry portable snacks with you so you are not caught unawares. Keep to your regimen and your energy should improve noticeably.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Try to avoid alcohol all together, best way for an ER visit if you suffer from hypoglycemia. Blood sugar is lowered initially and then goes up again and can again drop quickly. Make sure you eat proteins and carbs together and focus on more complex carbs like whole grains, which have a slower release of their sugars.
    Maybe you could seek a metting with a register diatitian to get some questions answered.