Achilles tendon pain...help!

Options
So I think I injured my achilles tendon. I've had pain for almost 2 weeks now and its not getting better. I am not sure how I did it. Except that I was going to the gym regularly and doing the elliptical for about 40 minutes. But one day, a few days before pain started, I did the stairmaster for 20 minutes. I dont remember hurting myself on it, but this ankle pain started a day or 2 later.

I've never been a runner, so its not that either. An alternative is that maybe my ankle is sprained? But the pain/swelling is on the back of my ankle right above the heal. You can see/feel swelling on both sides of what I believe is the achilles tendon. Some days the pain goes away almost completely as I walk around more. Other days I am hobbling.

I've put off going to the doc because I fear they will not really help and just tell me what I can already read online for free (ice, rest, etc...)

Some days as I hobble around on it (I have stopped going to the gym) I will hear my ankle cracking and snapping alot. WTH is that? Feels like bones cracking.

So in short I feel like what I have is acute, since I didnt have sudden pain and I am not a big athlete. But I thought it would get better by now. Should I go to my Primary Care doctor? Will she be able to help at all?

Replies

• bovbjerg
    bovbjerg Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I had problems with my achilles tendon as well (hate to say it but the pain lasted over a year). I finally went to the dr. 6 months in and she referred me to a sports medicine dr. (she thought I might need orthodics). As it turned out, no orthodics were needed but she did give me some stretching exercises to do - basically 3 times a day, really stretch it out for about 30 seconds (especially first thing in the morning before you get going). The stretches were basically putting one foot forward and doing a lunge type stretch (or put your toes up against a wall and stretch out the back of your calf that way). Also, she recommended wearing a shoe with a bit of a heel to give some relief when ever possible. I was actually avoided wearing heels at work because I thought it would make it worse but it gives the tendon a bit of a break by shortening it.

Hope this helps a bit - Good luck!
  • stenochick
    stenochick Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    call your doc. If you're hobbling around on it, then it's time to see your PCP. They may order a round of physical therapy since you're saying it's not resolving. that's my two cents.
  • inmyturret
    Options
    Pain in the Achilles is not to be ignored. I put off visiting the doctor, and I now have chronic Achilles tendinitis. It has been five years now, and I am still unable to jump or run for long periods of time. I also cannot return to dance, my favourite activity :(

Don't keep going until the pain is too much to walk like I did. Get it checked so treatment can begin sooner rather than later. They gave me massage techniques and strengthening exercises that have helped a lot. I also had it taped for a bit to make sure that I was moving it properly.

Don't let acute become chronic, don't delay seeing a doctor! In my case, hindsight is really 20/20 :(

P.S. I found the elliptical to be the worst machine for my tendon. Aquafit or running in the pool (shallow end or the deep end with a flotation belt) has been the best activity.
  • khallock78
    khallock78 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I looked up some stretching exercises on YouTube and I have found that I feel so much better immediately after. But I still have pain. Going to call the doc now and try to get in at some point next week I hope.